Is the price of gas holding you back? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Interesting topic.I am paying $5.445 for a Cdn gal at present time and in other parts of Canada the price is higher.Due to the gas prices and they will continue to climb,it caused me to start thinking small ( ie 13ft units from 17ft units.)I have now ordered a new 13ft Trillium.
I thought you were going for the Escape?

That's $5.44 for an Imperial gallon... It's closer to $4.20 for a colonial gallon which is still higher than everywhere in the US....

Thankfully, I can still buy diesel at .808/liter. I feel like stocking up.

Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:10 AM   #16
Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I was planning to drive to Alaska this summer with my grandson. Go or not to go, that is the question. $2500.00 is a lot of money.

Our travels with our grandson are among the best memories of our lives (and his, too!). Even if gas prices drop in the future (which they won't), you'll never be able to buy back time you missed with him. GO!

jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #17
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
{I thought you were going for the Escape?}

I was but looking right at retirement and the way costs are rising i want to try and play to safe side.
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #18
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
The price of gas is not holding us back. We planned a 5,500 mile trip months ago and now have added Canada, Alaska (ferry ride). This will be our most expensive ride so far, haven't figured out the total cost, we will just do it. The way I see it is that we have to do it now while we are healthy enough and have money in the bank. Will take the shorter trips when we have more problems.

Glad we got the bare bones 13 Scamp and a reasonable tow vehicle. Would hurt a lot more if we didn't get 18 mpg.

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #19
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Gas prices are not going to hold us back, because when we go 'trailering', its a VACATION for us, whether its towed with the gas guzzler new Dodge Dakota p/u or our non fuel effecient (600hp) 37 Plymouth, NEITHER are cheap on gas. We do not go on cruises or fly anywhere (unless its an emergency), so trailer trips, even short weekend runs, are our 'get aways'!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #20
Trailer: 17 ft Escape
We just returned from a 5,000 mile(8,000 km) trip from BC to the 4 Corners area, did the major Anazazi sites and US National Parks over the past 30 days. Great memories.

Gas prices rose constantly over the duration of the trip. We pulled our Escape 17 with an 04 Pathfinder 6 cyl automatic with tranny cooler(s) and got 18.85 MPG Cdn gallon/15.78 MPG US gal/14.99litres/100 km.

We tried to maintain 60 mph most of the time. The trip included the long passes from Ely to Beaver (Hwys 50/21) (Nevada-Utah) and the route from Boise north to Spokane Wa (Hwy 55/95/195), some very long and steep hills.

Great trip - you only have one time around on this earth, bite the bullet and go!

Gerry & Verna
"The Escapists"
Gerry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #21
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
We were planning on going to Slave Lake, in northern Alberta like we did on an extended trip three summers ago. The gas prices then were the highest they had ever been, which seems cheap to us now!

But we are looking now at "Good memories close to home" as some others are. And we are lucky, in northern BC, to have so many great places only a few hours away.

Unfortunately, some of our favourite places nearby still have two and four feet of snow on the roads! Okay for the truck, but the Boler has a LOW clearance. (Watch for my Flood report later this month.)

And as hubby and I are both "entrepreneurs" (no paid vacation, etc.) we are thinking we'll take a bunch of Fridays off (easier on the cash flow) and camp close to home, rather than taking a bigger chunk of time off and travelling far.

What was it about Slave Lake, Alberta, that we liked so much, and that meant so much to our son? It was a lovely wild camping spot, there was easy access to the water for our canoe, the kid caught his first fish (two big pickerels) that we had for breakfast. So, we will try to do that kind of thing this summer closer to home.

This forum is partly about fibreglass, and mostly about life and love and making things work and families and okra.

CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote