Is the price of gas holding you back? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro (Dance Hall Edition ''The Casbah'')
Greetings,

With the price of gas sky high, I am so grateful that Tish and I decided to explore Banff last year for 3 weeks total cost averaging out at about $50 a day for each of us.

This year we are staying closer to home in california to compensate for the high price of gas.

How is the price of gas effecting your travel plans. Are you choosing alternative destinations, staying longer while driving less, boondocking instead of using paid campsites or just staying at home?

I just don't know how some of you with trucks as tow vehicles are paying here in california about 3.50 for every 10 miles that you drive. It's rather overwhelming when you do the math and I just scratch my head that americans are unwilling to take to the streets to oppose what's going on.

Warmly,

Laurie (who is enchanted with travel and disenchanted with gas prices)
Laurie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Interesting topic.I am paying $5.445 for a Cdn gal at present time and in other parts of Canada the price is higher.Due to the gas prices and they will continue to climb,it caused me to start thinking small ( ie 13ft units from 17ft units.)I have now ordered a new 13ft Trillium.
I decided after the last few increases i would drive slower.I have now increased my miles per gallon/liter of gas.I intend to do the same when pulling my new Trillium.
We best all better realize that this problem will not go away and will continue to get worse.
Plan your trips well and slow down and enjoy.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Interesting topic.I am paying $5.445 for a Cdn gal at present time and in other parts of
We best all better realize that this problem will not go away and will continue to get worse.
I totally agree which really doesn't lend to the philosophy of staying home until prices go home since I don't think they will ever go down. So I'd be inclined to take off on a faraway trip that I had been yearning for instead of putting it off for cheaper gas prices.

And my philosophy of life is that tomorrow is not guaranteed...so the time is now to live!

So while I won't be cutting out travel, I am looking for innovative ways to keep my expenses down. So I appreciate your comment about driving slower to save on gas and to savor the moment!!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
Price of fuel is not going down, just wish it would stay the same for 2 weeks!
We are also slowing way down,(actually following the 55mph speed limit for trailers in CA!) running tires at max air pressure, running synthetic oil, low restriction air cleaner and staying closer to home and staying extra days at each stop. But we'll travel the same amount of days, just explore more when we get to our destination.
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
This year we are staying closer to home in california to compensate for the high price of gas.
Once we get across the border with Arizona, almost all of the Gas Stations from there on are cheaper than in California. It's cheaper for me to go on vacation (per mile) than it is for me to go to work. Everything usually works out. I just use the credit card at the pump and I don't think about it until I pay the bill when I get home.

Since a lot of the big travel destinations require 9 month (Like Bullard's Beach for the Gathering) to 1 year (my family reunion) advance reservations, I plan to make sure my bank account is full ahead of time for the gas.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am fortunate that I do not have to travel very Far to get to some very nice campgrounds, albeit not what I am used to in Oregon.. lush and near water.

I can also camp year round here, so I "settle" for shorter, more frequent trips rather than a long haul once or twice a year.

The Oregon Rally is my "Big" trip this year, and yes, I am watching my pennies in order to justify the expense. I am guestimating that once it is all tolled, sites fees, gas and wot nots.. it will be around 1500 bones to go.

Like Fred, I just get out the plastic and try not to think about it. I don't work hard all year to sit at home for my vacation.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #7

'Like Fred, I just get out the plastic and try not to think about it. I don't work hard all year to sit at home for my vacation.'

Well Fred and Gina maybe you could loan me some plastic then I'll be able to justify the expense of checking out the Oregon gathering even though it's much too late to get a spot there.

Hopefully there are still spots for the Lake Casita gathering which is much easier to justify attending without the plastic.

Celebrating Travel no matter the cost,

Laurie
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Our trip this year is to do what we were planning last year till Alice got ill and we cancelled all....this year we were planning to got to the Prairie Bolerama and then on to Alaska.....well gas prices here in Canada as Chester mentioned, sure trimmed that down for us.....but am looking for a more fuel efficient used tug and if that materializes , maybe with a Murano or similar, we still may get to Alaska, if not, will get to Calgary and Edmonton for some visits....alternative is a VW Jetta TDI and motels.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
I have one grandson that is still to young to be into cars and girls. I was planning to drive to Alaska this summer with my grandson.
Just my fuel bill will be at least $2500.00. I keep thinking about when my grandfather took me to Mexico when I was about Julians age. It was something that I remember to this day.
I have to decide quick as school is out soon. Go or not to go, that is the question. $2500.00 is a lot of money.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:03 AM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
$2500.00 is a lot of money.

But, travel with your grandson is priceless...

And you may not get a better opportunity!

Okay, so perhaps you can go with him to a closer destination...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
Every payday a set amount of money automatically comes out of my account and Barb's and into a joint holiday account. This account is ONLY used for holidays, cause in the life holidays are too important to miss. The money accumulates quite a bit during the winter months and even more this winter as we waited for our Escape to be ready.

There have been a couple of times that we sure could have used that money to make small improvements and repairs around home but we didn't touch it. Somehow the house is still standing and we have a nice little bit of travel $$$$ to see us through the summer and well into fall

Jen
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:27 AM   #12

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
There are so many campgrounds near me.... I dont have to go far to enjoy a few days away from home... but it still costs. I will just save my pennies for the next trip out...
No long planned trips here.......
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
John, aren't memories the very best...they're experiences we get to live over and over as we get older. But rather than do nothing at all, create those same types of memories closer to home. Yosemite, Glacier, Yellowstone, etc., etc., etc. are wonderful places to go visit and I'm certain it's the time spent with "Grandpa" that will be remembered rather than the destination.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We are going to try out our "new" UHaul Vacationer this weekend in Nauvoo, IL (about 5 hours away from Chicago) and then we'll go to Effingham, IL the next weekend for the VW Fest (also about 5 hours away). Our big trip will be to Rocky Mountain National Park and the Black Hills in late July. This is what we had planned to do with lower gas prices and we're still going. We'll also do some short trips for weekends near the northern IL and southern WI area. There are lots of nice places to stay and visit not far from home!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
Interesting topic.I am paying $5.445 for a Cdn gal at present time and in other parts of Canada the price is higher.Due to the gas prices and they will continue to climb,it caused me to start thinking small ( ie 13ft units from 17ft units.)I have now ordered a new 13ft Trillium.
I thought you were going for the Escape?

That's $5.44 for an Imperial gallon... It's closer to $4.20 for a colonial gallon which is still higher than everywhere in the US....

Thankfully, I can still buy diesel at .808/liter. I feel like stocking up.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
I was planning to drive to Alaska this summer with my grandson. Go or not to go, that is the question. $2500.00 is a lot of money.
John:

Our travels with our grandson are among the best memories of our lives (and his, too!). Even if gas prices drop in the future (which they won't), you'll never be able to buy back time you missed with him. GO!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
{I thought you were going for the Escape?}

I was but looking right at retirement and the way costs are rising i want to try and play to safe side.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
The price of gas is not holding us back. We planned a 5,500 mile trip months ago and now have added Canada, Alaska (ferry ride). This will be our most expensive ride so far, haven't figured out the total cost, we will just do it. The way I see it is that we have to do it now while we are healthy enough and have money in the bank. Will take the shorter trips when we have more problems.

Glad we got the bare bones 13 Scamp and a reasonable tow vehicle. Would hurt a lot more if we didn't get 18 mpg.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Gas prices are not going to hold us back, because when we go 'trailering', its a VACATION for us, whether its towed with the gas guzzler new Dodge Dakota p/u or our non fuel effecient (600hp) 37 Plymouth, NEITHER are cheap on gas. We do not go on cruises or fly anywhere (unless its an emergency), so trailer trips, even short weekend runs, are our 'get aways'!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
We just returned from a 5,000 mile(8,000 km) trip from BC to the 4 Corners area, did the major Anazazi sites and US National Parks over the past 30 days. Great memories.

Gas prices rose constantly over the duration of the trip. We pulled our Escape 17 with an 04 Pathfinder 6 cyl automatic with tranny cooler(s) and got 18.85 MPG Cdn gallon/15.78 MPG US gal/14.99litres/100 km.

We tried to maintain 60 mph most of the time. The trip included the long passes from Ely to Beaver (Hwys 50/21) (Nevada-Utah) and the route from Boise north to Spokane Wa (Hwy 55/95/195), some very long and steep hills.

Great trip - you only have one time around on this earth, bite the bullet and go!

Gerry & Verna
"The Escapists"
Gerry W is offline   Reply With Quote