is there a general rule about getting older and wanting bigger? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Dear Forum Friends,

You have all been so helpful to us. This is a dream come true. We have lived in a tent for so long and loved it. Now we are about to own our first RV, a 13 foot Trillium, as we both approach the age of 59. A question for all over 59......will we eventually want a larger Egg as we age? Is it possible to be happy with 13 feet and a porta potti? I would like to think so but I defer to those of you have been in our shoes.

Your input is invaluable....

Lloyd & Barbara Cicetti
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I suppose you could say this happens as one ages. Seems everyone gets tempted by an additonal 2 feet at some point in time. Some move up, some stay. Different strokes for different folks.

OTOH seems we have a new member (Tim) that just downsized from a 40+ footer to a Trillium Jubilee that I was considering upsizing to.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Dear Forum Friends,

You have all been so helpful to us. This is a dream come true. We have lived in a tent for so long and loved it. Now we are about to own our first RV, a 13 foot Trillium, as we both approach the age of 59. A question for all over 59......will we eventually want a larger Egg as we age? Is it possible to be happy with 13 feet and a porta potti? I would like to think so but I defer to those of you have been in our shoes.

Your input is invaluable....

Lloyd & Barbara Cicetti
Lloyd and Barbara,

The Old Bag ( Leslie ) and I have camped for more than 20 years in a tent trailer I bought for $900 ( and just sold for $675 ). And, as the years went by, the Litter Bag ( my daughter ) no longer wanted to camp with us and OB was also losing enthusiasm. Frankly, so was I.

I got tired of trying to stow stuff underneath seats and get it out when I needed it, if I could find it. I was tired of waking up cold in the night. I was tired of peeing in a 2kg. coffee can. The "ice box" was no better than a card-board box for chilling food. In its favour, it didn't leak.

We've only had our Escape 17 for maybe three months. Now we're trying to coordinate our days off so we have more opportunity for camping. Our first trip was supposed to be eight days and OB wanted to stay an extra day so we did.

I've had two weekends, fishing with my buddy Keath. No hassle, toss some clothes in the cupboard above my bed, beer in the fridge and go.

OB and I are off for another week next Monday, testing the Toad in cool weather. I'm concerned that I might winterize it before I'm ready to stop camping for this year.

I too am 59 years old. At my age, and with recent memories of the tent trailer, we appreciate the creature comforts of the new trailer and I know that we will appreciate them even more when I retire, which better come sooner than later.

And, that Porta Potti? Unless things have changed in pooper technology, I wouldn't have one within a hundred miles of my camp. I'd rather use the 2kg. coffee can. I left the only one I ever owned at the cabin when I sold it.

And, yes, it needed to be emptied, but they got a deal so I don't feel so bad.

baglo
Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
A question for all over 59......will we eventually want a larger Egg as we age? Is it possible to be happy with 13 feet and a porta potti?
Lloyd & Barbara Cicetti
Well, you might. Or.. you might not. There's no way of knowing until you get out there and try it for a while. As others have itemized, there is a lot to enjoy in a trailer compared to a tent. A 13 foot trailer lets you run a much smaller, more economical tow vehicle; more importantly, it let's you be a lot more spontaneous when you're travelling (ie what was that, let's pull a u-turn and check it out; what's down this little road; yes we can fit into the last site left in the campground, even though it's a little site, etc. etc.) Since fibreglass trailers hold their value, if you decide to try a different trailer/size as you gain experience, it won't cost you much to change your mind. In fact, it's not uncommon for folks to try a few sizes until they find out what works for them. Also, people change trailers as their needs/health change. Life is a process, enjoy it 8-).
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
A hot shower and toilet are realy nice and you are still in a small egg so why not just purchase an egg that has them. 16ft Scamp and 19ft Scamp 5r haave them along with other brands that R out there.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We bought our first "egg" almost two years ago, a 13 Scamp. We've loved it and used the heck out of it and will continue the primary mission of camp, camp, camp.
We bought the 13 so it would fit in our garage (HOA) and we don't want storage fees. Now that we're a lot smarter about "eggs" if we were buying today it would definitely be a 16 Scamp or similar. We can still get it in the garage and it would have the bathroom. While we've been perfectly fine with the porta potti, campground bathroom setup, there are many situations it would be very nice to have the bathroom.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I think it also depends a lot on how much time you like to spend inside, as well as the type of campsite that you prefer. We favor sites without hookups because they are most always more secluded and cozy than the typical so-called RV sites with services. Until we grow out of that style, I can't see the day when we would need an indoor shower or water heater - not to mention the time and aggravation saved by not having to stop and deal with tanks at the dump station. We enjoy being outdoors as much as possible, but there is always the option of attaching an add-a-room for those few occasions when we would need the extra "inside" space. For me this would provide way more real estate than the extra 2 feet (and extra 500-1000 lbs) gained with a slightly larger trailer.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
A question for all [b]over 59......will we eventually want a larger Egg as we age? Is it possible to be happy with 13 feet and a porta potti?
An observation from a youngster:
A lot depends on how you camp now and what you discover in the future.

I was very happy with our 13' Compact Jr. for 2 years; after having tented extensively for 5 years before that. But I had never experienced "Boondocking" or dry camping before. Being totally independant of site provided amenities is very beguiling. But the complications of using self-contained plumbing and electrical systems expand the set-up time. There are times I miss the simplicity of the smaller trailer.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
We have a 15 foot Trillium that has been comfy and wonderful for a 5 month road trip. No bathroom or shower but we managed fine and stayed happy.
Then an offer too good to pass up of a 17 foot Bigfoot came along and we "moved up" but we still kept the Trillium "just in case"
So far we have travelled only 4 days in the Bigfoot and are in awe of the size difference. All the bells and whistles..things we didn't even want......we call her "Swanky"
However, the gas usage is considerably more ,and for all the luxury and space, it is also a little more cumbersome for impromto turns , stops and tiny lanes. The "cute" factor is somewhat less as well!! Does pull very well though.
So, we are still deciding if bigger IS better for us. Our needs seem to be fairly simple but the dog likes the extra space a lot!
If we go to Mexico as we have planned for years, maybe the extra size will be important.
Sure is super comfy but also feels almost too big. Time will tell.......and these rigs are soooo easy to sell if one has made a mistake re size. But then again, some of us have a hard time selling as proven by the members who own more than one fiberglass trailer.
After all, we have more than one now!
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
We had a 13' Boler for 13 years, and just sold it and are now waiting for a new 15' Escape. We had a tent trailer (absolute bare bones) for a year. We had a freezing cold rainy weekend and decided never again.... We have camped in Nov in the Boler with no problems--gotta love a furnace..

We will still have a port-a-potti which has never been an issue. I do NOT go out in the middle of the night and when travelling down the highway with no rest areas it is darn handy to just pull over and use the facilities...Looking forward to that "bit" more floor space, but did not want to go the full route of a 17' with the full bathroom etc. Winterizing with the smaller units is so easy with no tanks to empty etc..(yes, living in the Pacific Northwest does make it easy too!) Plus, we can park a small trailer on our lot at home and not have to pay storage fees. It has been a guest room when the house was too full!!!!

We did pull our Boler with a mid sized car, but now going up that extra we have just sold a smaller older car and got a little pick up truck. Still a smaller engine, so shouldn't be hard on gas and we will be in the "legal" towing range....
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It is really quite understandable that those who do not have a flush toilet, shower with hot water and the other conveniences of a little larger egg (13ft vers 16ft) are quite comfortable with their choice.

Me, I camped for a week in Kentucky laying on the ground out in the open, camped all over the world (Europe and Asia) in tents, VW Camper, and with NATO and the US Army and have had motor home, slide in truck camper, a 37ft tag along and I feel more comfortable with the flush toilet, shower, heater, hot water and flat screen TV that we have in our 19ft Scamp 5r. At our age, we no longer want to rough it. and by roughing it I mean trapesing to the shower in the camp ground in the cold rain or the stink of the portacraper next 2 our bed etc.

If someone thinks they might feel comfortable with these amenities then they should look for an egg that already has them rather than purchasing a small one then moving up later on especially at 59 years of age. At this age, you just don’t need the hassle.

Do what is best 4 U right from the start and enjoy yourself.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Lloyd, I know you asked that only people of your age group answer , but another younger set (not a youngster) opinion. As for choosing the trailer thats right for you, buy what you want. But if your thinking of moving up to bigger later in life, I say why not now? The fiberglass trailer will out last yours and probabaly my camping adventures. At my age I don't think I will be camping 30 years from now and there are a lot of 30 year old fiberglass trailers on the road. It's not about bigger, its about what makes you happy and comfortable to enjoy your travels. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Quote:
I think it also depends a lot on how much time you like to spend inside, as well as the type of campsite that you prefer. We favor sites without hookups because they are most always more secluded and cozy than the typical so-called RV sites with services. Until we grow out of that style, I can't see the day when we would need an indoor shower or water heater - not to mention the time and aggravation saved by not having to stop and deal with tanks at the dump station. We enjoy being outdoors as much as possible, but there is always the option of attaching an add-a-room for those few occasions when we would need the extra "inside" space. For me this would provide way more real estate than the extra 2 feet (and extra 500-1000 lbs) gained with a slightly larger trailer.
Daniel, I like what you said about the add on room outside the egg. That should solve the space issue for a while. I also like what folks are saying about selling a fiberglass rv. If we want to upgrade down the road we won't have that much trouble selling it. In the meantime, I am sure we are just going to love it, porta potti and all.

Thanks to all for your input, Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Cool

Wouldn't it be nice if..........
When you look around you as you camp you see larger and larger units and you also think that you can carry that one extra item. This has nothing to do with age but is another well known Fiberglass RV disease known as "two-foot itis". Just remember that the 'stuff' you pack along will automatically expand to fill whatever available space. We've talked a lot over the past year of up-sizing and came to the conclusion that, cost/wise and gas/wise, for the long haul travelling we're better off keeping the '13er.
Now, I figure that if I put a cap on the PU, then maybe I can get twice as much 'stuff' inside the tow. Wadaya ya think, EH?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I love my 13 foot trailer but every now and again when I go to a meet I step inside the next size up and boy does that seem spacious. I could see how one would want to creep up to the next size but like that expanding foam your going to fill every little corner with what- more stuff. You have to consider how much time your really "in" the trailer. For me its just a place to sleep and keep everything dry. I want to be out by the fire outside thats why I go camping. The add a room is brilliant yet I don't own one,yet. So yes I can see why someone would want a larger trailer just like I might want a mansion, but bigger also means more cleaning, more packing , just plain more . So in my opinion bigger is not always better *winks*
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Replacing the 13' Burro with the 16' UHaul has meant that we rarely take the bed down, so I guess that the space issue does not exist. Having the privacy room for the porta-potty, though, is great. No more tripping over it when I get up to make coffee in the AM.

CindyL
Old 09-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Everybody is different. Not being quite 59 yet I can't totally answer this question but...I've lived in a VW bus, alone & with a hubby, I've lived in a cabover camper, we've owned a 17ft older boxy TT for camping (when living a normal lifestyle) and now have a 17ft Casita. I would NOT want something I can't stand up in again. The VW got old that way. So, we went bigger from vw to cabover to TT. This last move was actually downsizing. Both were 17ft but the boxy one had MUCH more space (no bathroom also). Must say we are VERY happy with the Casita. So I can say that getting older doesn't always mean wanting more and more space.

CindyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
to me the add a room would be like hauling and putting up a tent. I got the 16 ft to get away from tent life.
A 13 ft is crowded for two in my opinion. Hubby and I like having our seperate beds, and love a real potty in the middle of the night.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
to me the add a room would be like hauling and putting up a tent. I got the 16 ft to get away from tent life.
A 13 ft is crowded for two in my opinion. Hubby and I like having our seperate beds, and love a real potty in the middle of the night.
I have to agree totally. Last year we had a tent-trailer, no potty and I carried tarps, ropes and tarp poles. I spent hours trying to pack everything we needed into the tent trailer and still have it fold up. This year, with the Escape 17, I've learned how much easier it is to ready the Toad for a weekend and how comfortable you can be.

The first discovery was that we had no need for packs for our clothes, which ended up at the foot of the bed because there was no place else to put them. Now the clothes go in the cupboards over our bed. One for the Old Bag and one for me ( Bags ) and another for midnight snacks. I had two of those rolling plastic drawers to store kitchen gear. Never could get them to fit under the table. Those went to the dump. I left the rusty Coleman stove, space heater and an old lamp in the tent trailer when I sold it. Today, I noticed the tarp poles in the carport. Not sure what to do with them, or the tarps. I just open the awning, or cuddle up in the Toad.

My point here, is that if you compromise ( and we're the same age ) on a really small trailer, you're going to lose a lot of the conveniences that we enjoy. It will still be better than the tent, but you'll still be trying to do more with less. Packing too much into too little.

But, you have to draw your own line. I'm not interested in a 40' motorhome with a 42 inch plasma TV and leather sofas. I'd hate to have a trailer bigger and better equipped than my house.

baglo
Old 09-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
We have a 15 foot Trillium that has been comfy and wonderful for a 5 month road trip. No bathroom or shower but we managed fine and stayed happy.
Then an offer too good to pass up of a 17 foot Bigfoot came along and we "moved up" but we still kept the Trillium "just in case"
So far we have travelled only 4 days in the Bigfoot and are in awe of the size difference. All the bells and whistles..things we didn't even want......we call her "Swanky"
However, the gas usage is considerably more ,and for all the luxury and space, it is also a little more cumbersome for impromto turns , stops and tiny lanes. The "cute" factor is somewhat less as well!! Does pull very well though.
So, we are still deciding if bigger IS better for us. Our needs seem to be fairly simple but the dog likes the extra space a lot!
If we go to Mexico as we have planned for years, maybe the extra size will be important.
Sure is super comfy but also feels almost too big. Time will tell.......and these rigs are soooo easy to sell if one has made a mistake re size. But then again, some of us have a hard time selling as proven by the members who own more than one fiberglass trailer.
After all, we have more than one now!

I'd be curious to know what your fuel economy is with each of these trailers.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote