Is this Scamp really repairable? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I know FG Eggs are tough little trailers but isn't there a limit as to what can be fixed when structural integrity is involved? Or can they be brought back from the brink of pretty much anything?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-Scamp-...=item1e596a3628

Melissa
Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I know FG Eggs are tough little trailers but isn't there a limit as to what can be fixed when structural integrity is involved? Or can they be brought back from the brink of pretty much anything?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-Scamp-...=item1e596a3628

Melissa

I can't answer your question. But I can say, "ouch!" What happened?
Crystal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
If it were an '02; maybe, if you really knew what you were doing and had unlimited time and tools on your hands. And even then...

An '82 though? That's definitely a parts trailer.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
It looks like it would take as much work to refiberglass it as to make a whole trailer. This would be a good deal for someone who already has a scamp and could use the parts, cupboard doors, cushions, tail lights and more.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
I can't answer your question either, but my 'gut reaction' would be to RUN, not walk, in the opposite direction! Hang in there - the 'just right for your needs' trailer is out there somewhere. Good hunting - L 'n D
Old 12-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Fiberglass can be repaired from just about any state. However, that doesn't mean its economically viable, or that it "makes sense" for everyone.

For something with a fair bit of damage:

If you were going to pay someone: Forget it
If you were going to do it yourself to make money: Only if you don't count your time
If you were going to do it yourself because you just want to: Sure

Of course there can be exceptions to the above, but in general I think it's true.

I've seen people repair fiberglass boats that had holes in the side and were buried in the sand. But they were boats that were originally worth a LOT of money, and the people had a certain handy bent.

OTOH, some cracks and problems are not that hard to fix. But for "unhandy" people, or those who don't enjoy it, I think it's best to just start with a nice one.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Oh dont worry, we have no plans to even consider something like this. I was just curios if it could be repaired by a skilled person. To an amature it doesnt look like it would ever be sound again.

Melissa

Quote:
I can't answer your question either, but my 'gut reaction' would be to RUN, not walk, in the opposite direction! Hang in there - the 'just right for your needs' is out there somewhere. Good hunting - L 'n D
Old 12-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
If you were going to pay someone: Forget it

There was another thread on here but i will say it again. O agree with Raya. A tree fell on our Casita (see Cracked Egg). The damage is significantly less than this Scamp. The professional repair is about $9,800. We are still waiting to get it back - by Christmas we hope.

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

If it wasn't so far away, I'd take a crack at it... The price is certainly going to be low enough. 20 or 30 pounds of glass mat and a few gallons of resin will heal a lot. Certainly is in better shape tahn my Corvette was before it was rebuilt (only original body section is the windshield area- has pieces of 13 other 'vettes in it) Larry
Attached Images

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I've seen some of your fabulous Compact Jr. project work, Larry. You definitely fall into my category 3 Maybe 2 also!

Harking back to what I said before about the boat full of holes and sand (it had been sitting underwater!), it's amazing how it's possible to just "erase" damage in fiberglass. I maintain that anyone who puts their mind to it can make a sturdy fiberglass repair. But to make an extensive repair "disappear," when it includes large areas, re-forming the basic shape, and/or lots of cabinetry work, takes a bit more artistry.

Also, it all takes time. And money when you are talking epoxy resin, decent cloth, and two-part paint (if you're going for a high-quality repair).

So in my opinion, it really ends up being one of those "it depends" questions -- with the answers hinging as much on the person asking (and their situation vis-a-vis time, their standards, and their goals for the project) than they do on the actual damaged trailer.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp