Is this the biggest FG trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Is this the biggest FG trailer?

The ad reads 1 piece fiberglass ...
30' long
2000 30' Sun Trek Fiberglass Trailer | Calabogie, ON, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #2

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Ontario
Very interesting Roy - and in Ontario too! (although in the middle of no where, lol)

I wasn't familiar with this make so I googled it and didn't find any others for sale. I also checked the resources on this website but when I click on Suntrek there are no pictures. Perhaps the admins could add these photo's to the site for reference purposes. Does anyone know anything about these trailers? Are you gonna go have a look, Roy?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #3

It would be interesting to see and confirm that it is a molded fiberglass trailer Phil, but it is a little too far for my schedule at the current time.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #4

Hey Phil,

The late Charlie C posted a little bit of history on a very similar trailer here a few years back, there are pictures and floorplans.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post136686

Looking at the pictures Charlie posted and the ones in the listing. I have to say the listing is in error refering to the make of the trailer as "Sun Trek" as the photos in both have similar looking "Vista" Labels in the same location. I would think Sun Trek is the model.

The timing of these makes/models seems to fit in with the Award history posted here:
http://www.awardrv.com/company_history.htm

For those that don't know, Dunnville and Grimsby are not too far from where we hold the Niagara meet.

I won't have a lot of time till possibly the end of the weekend to follow up on the original sale listing. Is there any chance you have the time?
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 AM   #5

Ontario
Very interesting Roy. Charlie's story would explain the visual similarity between the Award and the Vista. This example that is for sale would be one of the last produced, then being a 2000 model.

That Award website is perplexing. It suggests Award is still in business yet you can't click on any of the "current" models and there is no used inventory.

A few years ago, I was driving through Dunnville with our Trillium and saw a sign for RV parts at an old, former Canadian Tire store on the main street. From what I recall, the proprietor was the former president of Award who was selling off all manner of excess stock of parts from the factory - from cushions and bolts of fabric to wheels and tires and boxes of screws in bulk. A sad situation really. I thought he had told me at the time that the nearby factory had shut down.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Yes the Award factory is shut down. The last year of production that I know of was 2005. There is one person "Peter" that answers the repair or parts phone number. He can get most parts, but some are no longer available. Also there are a lot of used parts in some of the RV junkyards near there. Some of the prices are outrages because of the scarcity and production costs to make just one. For example the big bubble front window is available new for the lowly sum of $1,600.00. It's life span appears to be about 20 years as it gets porous and fragile when it's been outside that long. Most owners are converting to a 1/2" lexan sheet cut to fit. There is a Yahoo group Award2 where owners share.

I'd love to have that Vista, but I'll have to be satisfied with my 30' Award. Looks like it was very well cared for. Could last a very long time.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #7

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Curtis F.

I like your location name. Mid America. We have been nomadic for a year. When people call us they don't ask how we are, they ask what what state are we in. Our mail is still going in circles.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 4500 View Post
Very interesting Roy - and in Ontario too! (although in the middle of no where, lol)

I wasn't familiar with this make so I googled it and didn't find any others for sale. I also checked the resources on this website but when I click on Suntrek there are no pictures. Perhaps the admins could add these photo's to the site for reference purposes. Does anyone know anything about these trailers? Are you gonna go have a look, Roy?
Thanks for the heads up. I captured the photos so we can get them into the Brands Album; can't promise how quickly that will happen, but at least we got the photos.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #9

Ontario
I incorporated a sidetrip to Calabogie Ontario into our camping trip in October. The Vista has a very unique ladder style frame design. There is actually a white covering on the side of the frame to disguise it visually from the side. The fibreglass shell ends at the lower sides and the floor is pressure treated plywood. While the fibreglass shell is indeed one piece, its more like an inverted bowl rather than an egg in its design.
Unfortunately, this particular example hasn't had much if any maintenance in its relatively short (10 year) life. Every surface on the interior, every drawer and shelf was covered in mouse droppings. According to the owner it's only been used once in the last 5 years so the integrity of the systems is a complete unknown.
I passed on it but perhaps it might be perfect for someone else.

Mary F - could we add these additional photo's to the database?

Thanks,

Phil

Old 11-18-2010, 05:00 AM   #10

Ontario

Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Wow! There's a whole living room in the front of that! I guess that's a fold out sofa/bed.

Vaulted ceilings too!

Very informative photos.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #12

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
Vaulted ceilings too!
Yeah, and the production engineer in me wants to see an interior photo above the front window where the vee'd front lining meets the 'vaulted' ceiling lining, as that becomes a double-curvature piece at the join. Maybe they moulded that bit of lining out of fiberglass.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #13

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Wow looks great!
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #14

Name: Ian
Trailer: Predom Captain
Ontario
Registry
All one piece Fiberglass, wow!

Well, it looks to be a very nice trailer, and thank you for the additional photos.
Are they firm on the price, as it seems to be a bit high, from the sounds of the droppings, and unknown condition of many items, having sat for 5 years?
Love the look of it though, having previously owned a 23' Award.
Must tow like a dream, as they (Awards and this one) have minimal wind resistance, given the front end shape?

Thanks for sharing your time and the pics.
Cheers, Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Wow looks great!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
TRW

Name: Terry
Trailer: Suntrek Vista
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
It's the same as my 1999 30' Vista, only the floor plan is a little different. It just might be the largest fibreglass trailer out there, if you don't include the new Thor which has a separate roof, walls, and front and rear caps. Mine doesn't have a dinette and the frig is where the rear end of the dinette is on this one. We have more storage on the other side of the trailer just in front of the aft bedroom. It was made by Sun Trek (not Suntrek, as I erroneously posted elsewhere) and is called a Vista. We bought it new and still have it. It solved the leak and wall separation problems of the Award design and is much heavier -GVWR is 7000 lb. But once it is up to speed I averaged 14 mpg with our Odyssey and more than 16 with our diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. That's because of the aerodynamics fore and aft, and low sidewalls because of the peaked roof so very little sidesway in crosswinds. Have thought of moving up to a Class A used motorhome, but this one is so cheap to maintain, that may be a mistake. The one thing it doesn't have is slide-outs, but they are heavy and can break, so we're happy having no repairs to worry about so far after 13 years.

Terry
TRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #16

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Sun Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
The brand is Award made in Canada, well built pulls easy.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #17

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
It's the same as my 1999 30' Vista, only the floor plan is a little different. It just might be the largest fibreglass trailer out there, if you don't include the new Thor which has a separate roof, walls, and front and rear caps. Mine doesn't have a dinette and the frig is where the rear end of the dinette is on this one. We have more storage on the other side of the trailer just in front of the aft bedroom. It was made by Sun Trek (not Suntrek, as I erroneously posted elsewhere) and is called a Vista. We bought it new and still have it. It solved the leak and wall separation problems of the Award design and is much heavier -GVWR is 7000 lb. But once it is up to speed I averaged 14 mpg with our Odyssey and more than 16 with our diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. That's because of the aerodynamics fore and aft, and low sidewalls because of the peaked roof so very little sidesway in crosswinds. Have thought of moving up to a Class A used motorhome, but this one is so cheap to maintain, that may be a mistake. The one thing it doesn't have is slide-outs, but they are heavy and can break, so we're happy having no repairs to worry about so far after 13 years.

Terry
Hi Terry,

Any issues with your frame? It's an unusual weight saving design. It was the part of the trailer that concerned me the most as so few were made that I did't know if there was a sufficient sample of users to accurately tell if it was a sound design. The frame on the Vista is also a completely different design than I have seen on Award trailers.