Is YOUR tow vehicle too small? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Crashed Airstream 27' Overlander

Click image for larger version

Name:	rolled_Airstream.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	10163

Quote:
[b]Vehicle Description

I was trucking along I-88 outside Binghamton when a gust of wind showed me that my little truck was not strong enough to pull a 27' trailer. We went into a sway, and I couldn't pull out. We flipped over the side of the highway, totaling my truck and the trailer. I'm thinking that someone somewhere might want the trailer. Most of the cabinets on the driver's side ripped off the wall. The beds were in great shape and seem fine now. The toilet was almost brand new. There is a spare LP tank in the bathroom as well as a spare tire. I took the plastic drawers when I tried to get my belongings out, but I don't want them, and I can send them to you if you buy the trailer for actual packing and postage. I think there are some kitchen supplies in there that I couldn't get at easily after the accident. I'm not sure what else there is. It might be salvagable for a frame-off restoration, but I'm not making any promises. I just don't want to see it scrapped. The tow yard where it is in Binghamton wants it off their property as soon as possible. They are available to tow it wherever you need it to go. It still rolls fine, but they didn't test the electrical, so I don't know if the lights work now. No reserve, quick auction. I just don't want to see her squished and recycled into aluminum foil. I didn't even have it long enough to get the new title back from the state (Pennsylvania). It should be arriving in the mail soon, and I will send it to the new buyer. I had to basically do a salvage title on it after I bought it in Maine, which doesn't title old trailers.
Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Why it is important not use a tow vehicle larger than you need: Where the air is unhealthy to breath
Flame-proof coat now on 8-)
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Is YOUR tow vehicle too small?
OR is your trailer too large?

Old 09-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Well, in the case of the Airstream, it looks like the SUV won't be doing any pollution for a while...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The tug appears to be a first-generation Nissan Xterra. The current Xterra is substantially bigger and more capable, and has a tow rating under ideal conditions of 5000 lb.

I don't know about a 1973 (as in the ad), but current 27' Airstreams listed on their website weigh from 5400 lb to 6500 lb, dry and empty.

Time to turn on the brain and read the vehicle ratings? I do not advocate excessively large tow vehicles, and run mine to its rated limits, but this is just stupid.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote