It rained on my camp out - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Forcast for the weekend was hot and a slight possibility of a thunder shower. Instead we had 2 days of non stop rain. No rain in California huh? Think I will head there next yr.
Well, actually the dogs are not the problem as the pups only weighed 3 lb each, and they fit in a kennel easily. So did their two 6 lb parents. They all spent time in the camper in their kennels when raining hard. I lowered the side table into a couch and the dogs stayed there in their kennels. Everything is covered, as I want my camper clean. Those pups never even got on the floor of the camper. The pups are not allowed in there unless crated or held. It took me an extra 15 minutes to do them. It was the other stuff and packing that took the time.
My floor is covered with a plastic runner and a carpet runner to protect my origional Casita carpet. I want to keep my camper nice.
I have recently decided to quit running in and out of my camper a zillion times a meal getting another plate, another cup, pan or whatever if you know what I mean. So I got a big plastic tote with wheels on it and I pack all the pots, pans, dishes and silverware in it. Then I have a smaller clear tote that I put paper products in, like paper plates, plastic silverware, etc. I put those totes on two tables right next to the camper door, so the ants don't crawl on the totes (because when I leave the campground for home I do not want ants in the camper). I keep the totes outside so everything will be handy. I also brought a card table this trip to set odds and ends on . I do not cook inside the camper but use a propane cook stove outside for cooking.
The problem started when we had to pack to go home. It was raining really hard and forcast was for all day rain. My cheap canopy had blown down and even tho everything was next to the camper it was soaked. I had to pack everything away into the camper including my screen tent that was dripping wet. No sence in trying to pack it into anything as it was pouring outside.
WHen I headed for homeThe floor was full, with two totes, 3 tables, a grill, tool box, step, etc.
In the SUV for this trip,I carried three coolers, two dog kennels, and the x pens.
If I had put the wet stuff into the back of the SUV the carpet would have been soaked. I choose to soak the bedding instead as it had a plastic lining above the cushions.
The rugs as I go into the camper are dripping wet (yep, dripping). I have a plastic runner to protect the casita carpet and a rug over that. All are wet.
Tonight I have fantastic fan running, and everything on line outside hoping it will dry tomorrow.
This is what I usually always pack. I would assume everyone does have this type of stuff also to pack up when leaving a campground. In the rain it took me about three hours from start to finish. I really thought I could do all this in less than an hour.
I won't be heading out tomorrow as I am still drying things out and washing bedding. Maybe I can take off again on Wednesday. I sold two of the pups today, so will have less puppies going next trip.

Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #16
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Each one of us camps a bit differently. I bought a fully-self contained trailer and I expect to use it as such. I don't cook outside... except over the campfire. I don't like hauling stuff in an out. It all has a place inside the trailer, inside a cupboard. No extra totes (although I do carry a cooler for beverages). I gave up the portable propane stove, propane lantern, etc. at the same time I got rid of the tent. Why have a trailer with a kitchen... if you don't use it? During good weather, I fix food inside... but eat outside.

Maybe that's part of the time you're spending packing up?

But, I don't cook like I'm at home either.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #17
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
It usually takes us 1 to 1 1/2 hours to pack up when we take everything with us (screen room, kayak, scooter, etc.) but only about 30 minutes if we only take the minimum amount of "stuff."

One tip for packing up when it rains--have several good thick lawn & leaf bags for the wet stuff. They're great protection for the inside of the camper & tow vehicle.

Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #18
Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie

It takes us about half an hour to set up. Slide in awning, grab the chairs, throw some little tables out, unload the firewood. Slide the cooler out the door,because icebox is now a cupboard. Do all the cooking inside, like Donna says, "why have a kitchen inside and not use it?" Besides, we like the funky smell of coffee and bacon inside, part of camping. Trailers are made to be used, not preserved...
To break camp, could do it in about 15 minutes if rushed..... but, usually, we are lazy and stretch it out, gotta make sure the chairs are still comfortable and the coffee is still good, ya know... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #19
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
The secret we figured out last summer was that we needed to switch the TV from an SUV to a Pickup with a locking bed cover. We did so in May and the difference on the month trip in July was astounding.

Set up and pack up in under 15 minutes. Only get out what you need for that particular site, rest stays high and dry in the pickup bed. Cooler stays in position in the pu bed. Nothing extra is inside the trailer that has to be loaded unloaded at the site. We kept tons of dry goods in the pu bed and resupplied the trailer throughout the month which cut the Wally runs to almost nil.

The couple of nights we spent single nights on the way home, it was so simple to level out on the hitch and jump in the camper and go to sleep. Now in AZ we rarely get wet gear, but if you did you could just throw it in the pu bed and go, nothing harmed.
Scamp Owners International
2005 Escape 17-B
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #20
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13 ft
We have a 13' Scamp and we have it stocked with all we need to just hook up and go camping except for food. Everything stays in the camper. It takes us about 30 min. to pack, hook up and go.

James9005 is offline   Reply With Quote