It rained on my camp out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I set out on Thursday morning for a family reunion camp out. I got back last night and today am wondering why I even like camping. It took me three hours to load up my little camper (ya think I have to much stuff?!) The screen tent was sopping wet, the outside totes wet, the chairs, tables, and everything drenched. I had x pens for the 2 dogs and 5 puppies, and those had covers on them to keep the dogs dry. Of course the rain was so hard all that got drenched including dogs. I threw away my awning as I just could not deal with packing another wet thing. We drove home with the heat on in the car just to try to dry off a little.
Today I am thinking WHY did it take so long to pack everything up? I am exausted! I am headed out to wash the bedding and clean the camper now, which got wet because of piling wet things on it.
I have two weeks off work and was gonna head out again tomorrow. I am too exausted to even think of doing so.
How do you all deal with rain?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
**How do you all deal with rain?**

By living in central California. The rain ENDS by, generally, mid-April and nary a drop until late Sept to Oct.

Quote:
I set out on Thursday morning for a family reunion camp out. I got back last night and today am wondering why I even like camping. It took me three hours to load up my little camper (ya think I have to much stuff?!) The screen tent was sopping wet, the outside totes wet, the chairs, tables, and everything drenched. I had x pens for the 2 dogs and 5 puppies, and those had covers on them to keep the dogs dry. Of course the rain was so hard all that got drenched including dogs. I threw away my awning as I just could not deal with packing another wet thing. We drove home with the heat on in the car just to try to dry off a little.
Today I am thinking WHY did it take so long to pack everything up? I am exausted! I am headed out to wash the bedding and clean the camper now, which got wet because of piling wet things on it.
I have two weeks off work and was gonna head out again tomorrow. I am too exausted to even think of doing so.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
And if you live in So cal than its even less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Ouch, 7 wet dogs? Now that sounds like a lot of work. We just got a used dog and even having one is going to make camping more complex.

The rainiest we have camped was in the Cascade National Park - the biggest problem I found was all the dirt sticks to our shoes when we got in and out and our exterior carpet was soaked. We have an awning on our trailer so that we have a 8'x7' dry space. We also don't pack a lot of stuff that won't fit in drawers and anything we do have has to be able to handle the wet (stoves, bbq's etc..).
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Yup. We are SOOOO Blessed. I mean, RIGHT NOW, we can plan to go camping virtually anywhere (except POSSIBLY the north coast - Eureka area) on virtually ANY weekend next summer, and almost GUARANTEE that the weather will be nice. Admittedly, there is a mild possibility of an afternoon thundershower in the high sierra, and even here in the Sacramento Valley we do normally get [b]ONE summer storm (cannot think of one yet this summer, though). But otherwise... good to go!

Just checked one of the weather data bases... Sacto has avg 3 days of rain in May, then one in June, none Jully or August and one in Sept.

LA has one each in May June Aug and Sept.

Minneapolis has...11,12,10,10 & 10 for May thru Sept.

go to http://www.weatherbase.com/ for some really interesting stats.

Quote:
And if you live in So cal than its even less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Once you have your trailer packed with permanent stuff, stuff you will leave in at all times, all you need to add is food, clothes and a couple items particular to the trip you are taking. Buying the food may take a bit of time, but packing up will end up taking much less time.

I have done tons of camping in the rain, both canoeing and backpacking in the backcountry, as well as using an RV. I have never not gone because of rain in the forecast, or I would have likely missed some of the best times of my life. I keep everything wet out of the trailer aside from maybe a tea towel. Wet clothes get hung up on the outside of the trailer under an awning.

Keeping things (aside from awnings/tarps/tents) dry is quite critical. It also adds to your comfort level, and gives you a good secure feeling. A good awing, combined with good quality rain gear, will help lots. A large golf type umbrella is nice to have too.

I can only imagine that 7 dogs must have really added to your exhaustion. I would find someone to watch them at home, if at all possible.

The biggest thing, is try not to despair. Jump back into it, taking with you what you learned from this experience. You can learn to enjoy yourself, even in the rain.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
I sure understand how you feel.We have never been out in our trailer in the last year that it has not rained at least one day,usually more.You can only store so much in a 13' trailer.Two people three small dogs does not allow much space for indoor activity on wet days..Lots of stuff kept in the back of the van.BUT......Dining tent soaked.Buckects soaked.Everything under awning soaked....everything outside gets soaked. .We have had rain almost everyday this summer.I am so exhausted at the end of a weekend of (relaxing)camping that I really would just as soon stay at home.Maybe a bigger trailer would help.Don't remember having so much of a problem in our 21' Prowler.Lots of storage space inside and lots of room so staying inside out of the rain doesn't cause claustraphobia.....Maybe I'm just a sucker for punishment....Heading out again this weekend and praying to the rain gods to visit an area other than the one I'm parked in.....Pat.
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Handling multiple days with lots of rain does become problematic - I can empathize!
My techniques might not work for you (they barely work for me ) - kind of depends on who you're traveling with (besides the 7 dogs!).

I have 2 big dogs - who I force to wear raincoats, and stand to get their feet towel dried before going in the trailer. This sort of works because I have a big awning that (pretty much) keeps the area by the door dry. I take their raincoats and mine off before I go into the trailer. Keeping the dry stuff dry and the wet stuff outside seems to work best because it's really hard to get things dry once they get wet inside (running the heater to dry the inside of the trailer and coats is way to hot for me even in the winter!).

When the weather is nice, I have chairs and little tables set up outside - but when the weather is rainy, I don't put any of that outside - I just spend a lot more time inside (this clearly only works if you're camping alone or have seating inside for everyone or if everyone fits under you awning). All my storage tubs etc fit underneath the camper and stay relatively dry.

Xpens and other items that do get wet get stored in big giant plastic garbage bags for the trip home - again so the inside of the trailer doesn't get soaked - I do try to at least wipe them down under the awning before I put them away.

Another option for me (might not be for you) is to stick the wet dogs in the back of my SUV on top of a bunch of towels- if the weather is OK, they're fine with it and it gives me more space inside the trailer that isn't taken up with wet dog.

I have also tried putting an old shower curtain on the bed (under the sheet that I use to protect the upholstery from the dogs) - that helps keep the upholstery a bit more dry.

If you're in and out a lot (like it sounds you would have been with a family reunion) and the rain is constant or really driving - it's just going to be difficult to keep dry - good rain gear for everyone - take it off before going inside - lots of towels and lots of plastic bags for storage on the way home.

Good luck!

Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I saw a little idea somewhere on the forum that looked like it would fit into the "wet stuff outside" plan, and that was to have some of those suction cup hooks at the ready to stick right to the outside of the trailer. They could hold wet towels and rain gear.

I have some I use on the inside that are pretty strong that I got at Target. They have a plastic dome over the suction cup, and also the hook flips up and down. You flip the hook up, then press the suction cup into place, and then "lock it" by flipping the hook down into the "ready to use" position.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Unless it's really cold, use your shower area as a place to hang wet clothes/stuff you want to dry. I have a tension rod in my "bathroom" that and a couple of clothing hangers, stuff can just drip into the shower. If I have wet towels. I loosely hang those and have a small clamp-on fan that I have blowing in the shower area right at the wet clothes (etc) ... with the window open. It doesn't take all that long for stuff to dry. The secret is to keep the air moving and going out the window.

Lots of towels and lots of garbage bags for overly wet stuff to get it home. And yes, having "just trailer" stuff that you don't haul in and out when you leave or get home cuts down on all the work. I typically bring all the dishes, etc. in and run them through the dishwasher and of course all the towels through the washer. But if that doesn't get done for a day or two after I get home... no biggy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
We have had a LOT of rain this year, it even poured on us again this weekend. Our method, everything stays inside unless you are using it, chairs, tables etc. We keep our site very empty, that way when the rain starts, whatever is out goes away to stay dry, they only things that stay out are the things that don't matter, buckets of water etc.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Please. Send some of that rain to central Texas. We are in a two year "exceptional" (worse than extreme) drought.

That said, one thing that saves us in the unlikely event we're camping in the rain (actually, it happened recently to us in Colorado) is the camper shell on our pickup. Our dog(s) can ride out a storm or rainy afternoon in our "mobile kennel," like Anne does with her SUV.

I've also been known to put down layers of newspaper just inside the door, to catch some of the mud and drip. We always seem to have an abundant supply of newspaper, which can be replaced/switched out if/when it gets too wet.

And another key to making it easier to prep for a trip is to go more often. We find that things that belong in the trailer will actually be IN the trailer if it hasn't been too long since we've taken the rig camping. It's when we go for months without camping that the camp chairs have been pulled out, the electric match, the little aluminum table, etc., etc., etc. have been pulled out and used on the porch or out back.

You'll figure it out - it will get easier... although, I agree 7 dogs in good weather seems like a fair amount of work; I can't imagine dealing with them in rain or cold!

Good luck!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
I saw a little idea somewhere on the forum that looked like it would fit into the "wet stuff outside" plan, and that was to have some of those suction cup hooks at the ready to stick right to the outside of the trailer. They could hold wet towels and rain gear.

I have some I use on the inside that are pretty strong that I got at Target. They have a plastic dome over the suction cup, and also the hook flips up and down. You flip the hook up, then press the suction cup into place, and then "lock it" by flipping the hook down into the "ready to use" position.

Raya
This is what I use. I bought a schwack of them on eBay. They work great for towels, rain gear, jackets, you name it. I put about 6 or so just outside the door of the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We bought a Paha Que screen room--pricey but worth every dollar when it rains. You can let the flaps down on all sides & stay perfectly dry in there, no matter how hard it rains. Believe me, we've put it to the test on a couple of camping trips!
We don't take our dogs along if we think it might rain. It's just too messy & we can board them at a local kennel where they can stay inside or out, as they please.
I can handle the rain unless it's cold too. That's a combination I don't enjoy. Good luck with the weather next time around!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Forcast for the weekend was hot and a slight possibility of a thunder shower. Instead we had 2 days of non stop rain. No rain in California huh? Think I will head there next yr.
Well, actually the dogs are not the problem as the pups only weighed 3 lb each, and they fit in a kennel easily. So did their two 6 lb parents. They all spent time in the camper in their kennels when raining hard. I lowered the side table into a couch and the dogs stayed there in their kennels. Everything is covered, as I want my camper clean. Those pups never even got on the floor of the camper. The pups are not allowed in there unless crated or held. It took me an extra 15 minutes to do them. It was the other stuff and packing that took the time.
My floor is covered with a plastic runner and a carpet runner to protect my origional Casita carpet. I want to keep my camper nice.
I have recently decided to quit running in and out of my camper a zillion times a meal getting another plate, another cup, pan or whatever if you know what I mean. So I got a big plastic tote with wheels on it and I pack all the pots, pans, dishes and silverware in it. Then I have a smaller clear tote that I put paper products in, like paper plates, plastic silverware, etc. I put those totes on two tables right next to the camper door, so the ants don't crawl on the totes (because when I leave the campground for home I do not want ants in the camper). I keep the totes outside so everything will be handy. I also brought a card table this trip to set odds and ends on . I do not cook inside the camper but use a propane cook stove outside for cooking.
The problem started when we had to pack to go home. It was raining really hard and forcast was for all day rain. My cheap canopy had blown down and even tho everything was next to the camper it was soaked. I had to pack everything away into the camper including my screen tent that was dripping wet. No sence in trying to pack it into anything as it was pouring outside.
WHen I headed for homeThe floor was full, with two totes, 3 tables, a grill, tool box, step, etc.
In the SUV for this trip,I carried three coolers, two dog kennels, and the x pens.
If I had put the wet stuff into the back of the SUV the carpet would have been soaked. I choose to soak the bedding instead as it had a plastic lining above the cushions.
The rugs as I go into the camper are dripping wet (yep, dripping). I have a plastic runner to protect the casita carpet and a rug over that. All are wet.
Tonight I have fantastic fan running, and everything on line outside hoping it will dry tomorrow.
This is what I usually always pack. I would assume everyone does have this type of stuff also to pack up when leaving a campground. In the rain it took me about three hours from start to finish. I really thought I could do all this in less than an hour.
I won't be heading out tomorrow as I am still drying things out and washing bedding. Maybe I can take off again on Wednesday. I sold two of the pups today, so will have less puppies going next trip.
I am really wondering HOW LONG IT TAKES EVERYONE ELSE TO PACK UP, START TO FINISH.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Each one of us camps a bit differently. I bought a fully-self contained trailer and I expect to use it as such. I don't cook outside... except over the campfire. I don't like hauling stuff in an out. It all has a place inside the trailer, inside a cupboard. No extra totes (although I do carry a cooler for beverages). I gave up the portable propane stove, propane lantern, etc. at the same time I got rid of the tent. Why have a trailer with a kitchen... if you don't use it? During good weather, I fix food inside... but eat outside.

Maybe that's part of the time you're spending packing up?

But, I don't cook like I'm at home either.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
It usually takes us 1 to 1 1/2 hours to pack up when we take everything with us (screen room, kayak, scooter, etc.) but only about 30 minutes if we only take the minimum amount of "stuff."

One tip for packing up when it rains--have several good thick lawn & leaf bags for the wet stuff. They're great protection for the inside of the camper & tow vehicle.

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

It takes us about half an hour to set up. Slide in awning, grab the chairs, throw some little tables out, unload the firewood. Slide the cooler out the door,because icebox is now a cupboard. Do all the cooking inside, like Donna says, "why have a kitchen inside and not use it?" Besides, we like the funky smell of coffee and bacon inside, part of camping. Trailers are made to be used, not preserved...
To break camp, could do it in about 15 minutes if rushed..... but, usually, we are lazy and stretch it out, gotta make sure the chairs are still comfortable and the coffee is still good, ya know... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #19

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
The secret we figured out last summer was that we needed to switch the TV from an SUV to a Pickup with a locking bed cover. We did so in May and the difference on the month trip in July was astounding.

Set up and pack up in under 15 minutes. Only get out what you need for that particular site, rest stays high and dry in the pickup bed. Cooler stays in position in the pu bed. Nothing extra is inside the trailer that has to be loaded unloaded at the site. We kept tons of dry goods in the pu bed and resupplied the trailer throughout the month which cut the Wally runs to almost nil.

The couple of nights we spent single nights on the way home, it was so simple to level out on the hitch and jump in the camper and go to sleep. Now in AZ we rarely get wet gear, but if you did you could just throw it in the pu bed and go, nothing harmed.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #20

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13 ft
We have a 13' Scamp and we have it stocked with all we need to just hook up and go camping except for food. Everything stays in the camper. It takes us about 30 min. to pack, hook up and go.
James9005 is offline   Reply With Quote