It's here, it's here, it's here!!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #15

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Check the water level in the battery, too.

Your T@B looks beautiful. I'm jealous. I've wanted one since I first heard about them. Is yours a clamshell? That's the model I've always dreamed of.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #16

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Thanks, Jesse! No, it's not the clamshell model. It's the U-dinette which makes into a King size bed and has the inside kitchen. So why did you choose the Scamp over the T@B if it was your first choice?

Ya Marv, you're right, the T@B is still plugged in so I'll do a proper check once the battery has settled or take it in someplace to be tested.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #17

Name: Darren
Trailer: 1980 13' Boler
New Brunswick
Congrats Melissab!!

We too ended up getting a 2009 T@B clamshell two weeks ago as an in between from our boler to a new scamp. It was just too good a deal to pass up so we jumped on it and will surely enjoy it for a few years till we are ready to order our scamp.

All my research had been on fiberglass rv's, so i'm trying to get up to speed on t@bs now. What is the A/C mod you speak of? The plexiglass cover over the outside vent?

So far we've recycled/reused/modified an old awning we had from a previous Overcamp to slide in the awning track of the t@b that is working wonderfully. We've also installed the AL-KO shocks to further smooth out the ride, all though I must say in the 150 miles i've pulled it so far, it has a much better ride than the old boler. The bigger tires make a big big difference.

I've yet to do the A/C vent cover mod, but have all the measurements and a parts list, just need to source the material and install it..

We're taking her out for her first shakedown run this weekend in a local provincal park...

Happy t@bing!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #18

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab
Thanks, Jesse! No, it's not the clamshell model. It's the U-dinette which makes into a King size bed and has the inside kitchen. So why did you choose the Scamp over the T@B if it was your first choice?
I think a T@B would be a little heavy for my subcompact car. Also, there don't seem to be as many used ones around, and new ones are a little out of my price range right now.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #19

Florida
Yes, I've found out used ones are few and far between. My Gross Vehicle rating for my T@B is 1946 lbs and from what most owners say, loaded ready to camp they come in around 1600-1700 lbs so probably nearly the same as the 13 ft Eggs. The hitch weighs 110 lbs with battery/propane.

Dutchmen stopped building them last year but now Little Guy is going to be building them now so I dont know what the new pricing will be from Little Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I think a T@B would be a little heavy for my subcompact car. Also, there don't seem to be as many used ones around, and new ones are a little out of my price range right now.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #20

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
For tropical decorating items, Melissa, don't forget the Dollar Store and party stores. I saw plastic tiki head glasses at the Dollar Store yesterday. Party stores have entire sections. I also have used Michael's for a tiki scenario I made last year for a contest.

CindyL
Old 06-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #21

Florida
Great Tip, Cindy, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd have never thought of that!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #22

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Congrats Melissa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Great Tip, Cindy, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd have never thought of that!
Hey....just to make certain you don't get into any deep dooo dooo......
did you ever get a transmission cooler for your Toyota or do you have a tow package?
The reason I ask is......if you have any warranty left on your Toyota ....towing without the tow package will void what ever warranty you have left. My concern would be that the tranny overheats.

I'm not wanting to worry you....but I do want to see you get to Wyoming safe and sound.

btw....smart idea on the new tires!
talk later.....Lew
Old 06-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #23

Florida
Thanks, Lew! When I had my Toyota in for service at the Dealer (Had a Great coupon!) last week I had them check it over and they said it came stock with a Tranny Cooler so I'm good to tow up to 3500 lbs. The soonest I can get it into the Hitch Shop is Thursday so the van gets wired up then. You know that T@B came from the factory with High Performance German Tires called "Fuldas" in a 205/50/16. They dont make a trailer tire in that size and I need the low profile for clearance so looks like I'll be having to spend the money on Yokohamas or Kumhos etc. I did find Falkens on sale for $76 each plus mount/balance.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
The cushion covers are pretty dirty so glad we're recovering them when we get back..
I seem to recall those little guys had some intreasting material designs in them. If they have zippers you might find they clean up well with just a wash.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #25

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks, Lew! When I had my Toyota in for service at the Dealer (Had a Great coupon!) last week I had them check it over and they said it came stock with a Tranny Cooler so I'm good to tow up to 3500 lbs. The soonest I can get it into the Hitch Shop is Thursday so the van gets wired up then. You know that T@B came from the factory with High Performance German Tires called "Fuldas" in a 205/50/16. They dont make a trailer tire in that size and I need the low profile for clearance so looks like I'll be having to spend the money on Yokohamas or Kumhos etc. I did find Falkens on sale for $76 each plus mount/balance.
Wow.....that stock tranny cooler saved you a chunk of change!
&
that's some pretty impressive tire size for that camper!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #26

Florida
Ya know, I thought about that but as tight as those covers fit the cushions I was a little scared I might not ever get them back on if they shrunk even 1/100th of an inch, LOL. I did find a carpet/upholstery cleaning service who will clean the cushions for $30 on Thursday since they're already in my neighborhood doing carpets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I seem to recall those little guys had some intreasting material designs in them. If they have zippers you might find they clean up well with just a wash.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #27

Florida
Ya, all the Sienna's from 2004-2007 (or whenever they changed the engine) had stock tranny coolers so I was happy to hear that.

Ya, nice sized tires for such a tiny trailer, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
Wow.....that stock tranny cooler saved you a chunk of change!
&
that's some pretty impressive tire size for that camper!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Ya know, I thought about that but as tight as those covers fit the cushions I was a little scared I might not ever get them back on if they shrunk even 1/100th of an inch, LOL. I did find a carpet/upholstery cleaning service who will clean the cushions for $30 on Thursday since they're already in my neighborhood doing carpets.
Yup getting cushions on and off is a big fight even when they are new. I always wash mine in cold water on hand wash cycle and hang to dry. The only problem with using the upholstery cleaning service is the dampness from the cleaning can go through to the foam..... Check to see if the foam has any plastic wrap on it.