It's Not Fiberglass, But - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #21

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
For the stingier among us there's the Bowlus Road Chief – On The Road: $137,000 (can be financed as low $693/month).

https://bowlusroadchief.com/on-the-road/

Sleeps 4 but dines 2? I guess you have to eat in shifts.

To each their own, but for that kind of money I would expect it to come with a tow vehicle and a companion.

Harold
You have to be careful about expectations of a human companion included in a transaction because they often end up costing a great deal of money and work within a short period of time. So maybe just ask them to include a little dog that does not eat much as part of the deal.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #22

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
You have to be careful about expectations of a human companion included in a transaction because they often end up costing a great deal of money and work within a short period of time. So maybe just ask them to include a little dog that does not eat much as part of the deal.
LOL!!!!

I already have a little dog, and she's a keeper (even though I spent $345 on her at the vet today). I used the word companion as a substitute for a more descriptive term because this is a family forum. Maybe I should have said: "paid companion and a maid".

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #23

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
I met the company owners in Scottsdale this winter and toured a 24' On The Road Edition.

Build quality, materials, and the thoughtfulness of design are exceptional.

The floor plan is not for everyone....but it is quite functional.

The front wheel on the hitch jack is wide and is more commonly seen on European trailers. On smoother ground you can actually move the trailer around by hand.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #24

Name: Eric
Trailer: Chalet Arrowhead
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I just saw my first Bowlus "Endless Highways" trailer, a $185,000.00 aluminum single axle trailer with a front facing entrance door:
I think the boss at Bowlus had the crew put the coach on the frame backwards and nobody would speak up and tell him it was wrong.

Seriously, what question is this in answer to?

Eric
EricJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:49 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
For aerodynamics, it’s right.

The original 1934 Bowlus Road Chjef was a uniquely lightweight, efficient, and beautiful design. This remake is a refreshing alternative to all the white boxes on wheels out there. Like the original, it has the potential to last a long, long time and retain value over the long term.

Not unlike molded fiberglass.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Unless it hails.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That’s what insurance is for, Steve.

Yes, hail is a particular issue with aluminum-skinned trailers. It is generally repairable, though not inexpensive. I’ve also seen hail cause flaking/pitting of the gelcoat on fiberglass, so we’re not immune.

The reality is a falling tree branch could total a $70K Oliver or my little Scamp in a moment. Although fiberglass is also repairable, such events are often written off as a total loss by insurance companies. Every build type has its unique vulnerabilities, and we’re all vulnerable on the highway, the most dangerous place of all.

Life is a series of calculated risks.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote