Jack Reacher- Road Reasons - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #15

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Conrad,

Any experience with or thoughts about the DeLorme inReach Explorer?

Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Steve, When we went to Labrador in 2008 we used the SPOT. It performed a similar function though now 7 years old. We bought it because we were traveling no traffic roads and no cell service. It had three primary functions. You could signal home for help, signal for 911 type help and report your position to family and friends. We ended up using only the last function, thankfully.

We had a high school class track our trip. It turned out to be redundant because when you cross Labrador they will provide a free Sat phone for emergencies.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Maybe they were lying/exaggerating his height in the books and he really is Tom Cruise’s height so the movie fixed it?
Old 11-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #18

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It turned out to be redundant because when you cross Labrador they will provide a free Sat phone for emergencies.
Norm, that is quite a service. Is it provided by the Canadian govt?
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Norm, that is quite a service. Is it provided by the Canadian govt?
They are provided by the Provincial government..... but keep in mind that there isn't much in the way of heavy traffic in Newfoundland so the program has only about 70 phones or so.... maybe more since I last checked into it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #20

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Conrad,

Any experience with or thoughts about the DeLorme inReach Explorer?

I looked into some of these options. As I recall you have to preprogrammed your messages. It seemed to have little utility.

There is an "Iridium Go" product that turns your cell phone into a sat phone and text messenger. I suspect there are issues with that also. Like every message being a 1 minute charge. I think it would work gone for prepared email messages all kept short and sent at once. Those are. $800 and a buck a minute for the connection.

I've made many satellite call from far out at sea. Its fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #21

Florida
I'm not sure who provides the sat phones. You went to a hotel in Goose Bay and they just copied your driver's license and when you reached Labrador City you turned it in at another hotel and they gave you a faxed copy of your driver's license to end the deal.

They may be provided by the government but there was no sign of it. We only learned of it from another camper.

By the way 70 phones is probably plenty. I don't imagine the locals bother and on our entire trip we never saw another RV in either direction. Of course it was June and 2008.

On the longest stretch, we kept a tally of vehicles and counting vehicles that passed us and approached us we only saw 8 vehicles in 7.5 hours. (We averaged 25 mph in that segment, we stopped a lot.)

Whether government or private it's very nice. You can stop at the visitor's center in Goose Bay and they tell you what hotel to go to to get the phone, again this was 2008.

Another side to the SPOT was that for an additional $7, you could purchase a $100,000 rescue policy, comfort insurance.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I'm not sure who provides the sat phones. You went to a hotel in Goose Bay and they just copied your driver's license and when you reached Labrador City you turned it in at another hotel and they gave you a faxed copy of your driver's license to end the deal.

The provincial government of Newfoundland provides them. As you know the province isn't one of the richer ones in this country and it works out to be cheaper for them to provide the phones to travellers than having to pay for full time highway patrol.

In regards to the Delorme In Reach its is a popular one with back country enthusiasts in these parts our well know and very busy local North Shore Search and Rescues uses the Garmin 60's series and up for GPS. NS Rescue routinely do a number of call outs each week during the winter months they often do several a day, to get people out of some pretty scary situations - often in the dark so they do know a little bit about back country safety. ;-)

The Alpine Club of Canadian issued a memo to its members recently suggesting that in a perfect world we should be using GPS's with 3 antennas and they will not let their members lead a group into the back country unless then have a GPS with at least 2 antennas.

Another thing to look at while shopping for a GPS is whether or not it is using both the US GPS and the Glonass (Russian) satilites - having both will result in a faster lock in. Having NIHM batters is a good thing (the longer battery life the better) as is having a unit that will take AA's as a back up. AA's don't fair as well as NIHM's in cold weather so that can be an issue.

Carrying only a cellphone for communication &/or GPS is considered a Big No No around here due to tree coverage and terrain they can not be counted on.... even when only a few miles away from downtown Vancouver & you can still see the city lights. The local SARS groups recommend that even the most casual of hikers carry at the very minimum a SPOT communicator or other dependable communication devise.

The bonus of the InReach is that if you have a cellphone with you the InReach will use the phones bluetooth (it does not need actual cellphone service) to carry on a 2 way communication with S&R using text on your phone. It helps to know how long you can expect to wait for help if your in a tough situation - around here its not uncommon for it to take hours even over night or longer before the rescuers get to someone. Spot on the other hand is a simple one way communicator which may leave you wondering for a long time if anyone is actually getting close to helping you.

Of course what GPS you really need depends greatly as to where you plan to use it. If you are simple a causal hiker who seldom ventures off the beaten track in areas with known cellphone coverage then a simple and cheaper GPS such as the Garmin E trax 20 will more than fill your needs.

Sorry for lengthily post but my BH's idea of a perfect winter vacation is to rent a helicopter with a few others and get themselves dropped off in the backcountry and spend the next week sleeping in huts or tents and skiing around all day & then at the end of the week finding their own way down the mountain. Know all to well what goes down when they don't report in at the pre arranged return day and time due to communication equipment failure or a poor choose in equipment.

If your someone who does venture off the beaten track a lot then when it comes to GPS's & communications the old analogy of go big or go home comes into effect.

Edit: referred to the InReach as a Garmin... while its actually a DeLorme.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #23

Florida
I think Spot used lithium batteries, expensive but lasted a lot time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I think Spot used lithium batteries, expensive but lasted a lot time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Norm you may be correct it may be able to take lithium batteries but the one sold in our local outdoor stores comes preloaded with just a AAA's.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #25

Florida
The darn things are amazing. Something that fits in a shirt pocket can send a signal to a satellite a 100 miles up. Just amazing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #26

Florida
I just looked up SPOT and they now make a number of devices. There's one you can put and your trailer that will return a signal and location if it is moved.

SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #27

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Gotta agree about Jack Reacher and Tom Cruise. Reacher is 6'5" and 250 pounds. Tom Cruise is but a shadow of that. he's a fairly decent actor but sure doesn't fit the part.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I have never read anything by Lee Child (yet). Can any of you make a comparison to the writing of Tom Clancy, Brad Thor or Clive Cussler? It sounds like the type of fiction is similar among them, but I'm wondering how Child's writing style compares?

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote