Jack Reacher- Road Reasons - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Mike,

Fred reads all those authors. He thinks Thor is the closest in style.

Nancy

Old 11-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #30

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Reacher is sort of a Dirk Pitt kind of guy. And Child's style of writing is similar it Cussler's. Reacher is much more aggressive than Pitt. If he get into a fight he will leave you badly injured (never leave ordinance on the ground) or dead.

Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #31

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Thanks, that helps. I like the genre. But whereas Clancy's writing quality seems quite good to me, Thor's is a little subpar (good strong plots but somewhat simplistic style) and Cussler's is more than a little subpar (one Cussler book was enough for me, just my subjective opinion). If Child is more or less in between the latter two, that tells me I might not like his stuff.

Some of the authors I most appreciate for writing ability are actually in the fantasy genre: Tolkien, George R. R. Martin, and Brent Weeks. After reading stuff by Martin and Weeks, some of these other authors seem like eighth graders to me.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #32

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have never read anything by Lee Child (yet). Can any of you make a comparison to the writing of Tom Clancy, Brad Thor or Clive Cussler? It sounds like the type of fiction is similar among them, but I'm wondering how Child's writing style compares?
More like Brad Thor than Clancy or Cussler. Lee Child's Jack Reacher series is very much in the mold of John D McDonald's Travis McGee series.
Quote:
Travis McGee

MacDonald's protagonists were often intelligent and introspective men, sometimes with a hard cynical streak. Travis McGee, the "salvage consultant" and "knight-errant," was all of that. McGee made his living by recovering the loot from thefts and swindles, keeping half to finance his "retirement," which he took in pieces as he went along. He first appeared in the 1964 novel The Deep Blue Good-by and was last seen in The Lonely Silver Rain in 1985. All titles in the 21-volume series include a color, a mnemonic device which was suggested by his publisher so that when harried travelers in airports looked to buy a book, they could at once see those MacDonald titles they had not yet read.

The McGee novels feature an ever-changing array of female companions, some particularly nasty villains, exotic locales in Florida, Mexico, and the Caribbean, and appearances by a sidekick known only as "Meyer," an economist of international renown and a Ph.D. As Sherlock Holmes had his well-known address on Baker Street, McGee had his trademark lodgings on his 52-foot (16 m) houseboat, the Busted Flush, named for the poker hand that started the run of luck in which he won her. She is docked at Slip F-18, Bahia Mar marina, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. wikipedia
Old 11-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #33

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, that helps. I like the genre. But whereas Clancy's writing quality seems quite good to me, Thor's is a little subpar (good strong plots but somewhat simplistic style) and Cussler's is more than a little subpar (one Cussler book was enough for me, just my subjective opinion). If Child is more or less in between the latter two, that tells me I might not like his stuff.
Also not at all a big fan of Cussler (have only read one though) but admit to having enjoyed reading Child's, Reacher series (best if read in order of published). One of those reads that works well if its raining out and you have nothing better to waste away a day reading. Actually only got into reading the series after picking up one that a member of my home had finished with and I had run out of my own reading material. Have tried reading a couple of other of Child's books outside of that series & he would not make my list of great authors though. While on the the other hand Stieg Larsson for his Millennium trilogy might and Tolkien would make it for sure.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I also read all of the mentioned authors, and while everyone has their own opinion of the quality of writing, I find Lee Child far more interesting and better written than Cussler. Neither is up to my favorite of the genre, James Lee Burke. I actually went out of my way to camp in New Iberia, LA because of Burke's descriptions of the area.

And, if you haven't read John D McDonalds's Travis McGee series, I highly recommend them.

If you are really bored, and think you have the same reading taste as me, here is my reading list over the last couple of years. I keep it because at my age I end up buying books that I've already read. Of course, at my age, it it was more than a couple of years since I read it, it doesn't mater!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #35

Oklahoma
Hmm, some names I was not familiar with. Thanks, I'll check 'em out. And I guess I'll give a Reacher book a try, too, since enough people who don't like Cussler do like Child.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #36

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jon,

Discovered Burke in New Iberia. Love New Iberia and the area. THere's a 50's diner in New Iberia with great shrimp,,,I thing Duffys, a n absolute must if you're back there.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carol, I don't know the order they were written in but I would start with Second Son because it describes his youth. It's good to know where a person come from.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #38

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Carol, I don't know the order they were written in but I would start with Second Son because it describes his youth. It's good to know where a person come from.
Lee Childs, Jack Reacher novels published:

Killing Floor (1997)
Die Trying (1998)
Tripwire (1999)
Running Blind: US title/The Visitor: UK title (2000)
Echo Burning (2001)
Without Fail (2002)
Persuader (2003)
The Enemy (2004) Prequel set eight years before Killing Floor.
One Shot (2005)
The Hard Way (2006)
Bad Luck and Trouble (2007)
Nothing to Lose (2008)
Gone Tomorrow (2009)
61 Hours (Spring 2010)
Worth Dying For (Fall 2010)
The Affair (2011) Another prequel set just before Killing Floor. Includes the short story Second Son previously released in 2010 in electronic version only.
A Wanted Man (2012)
Never Go Back (2013)
Personal (2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #39

Oklahoma
I've started "Killing Floor" on my Kindle and am about 20% of the way through. Pretty decent so far, although a very terse 1st person style. I am sure if the later books are written in 3rd person they will be a little different.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #40

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I've started "Killing Floor" on my Kindle and am about 20% of the way through. Pretty decent so far, although a very terse 1st person style. I am sure if the later books are written in 3rd person they will be a little different.
LOL if you get hooked on him head to your nearest thrift store where you will find they normally have lots of his books of as little as a $1. Pretty easy to recycle them at the next trailer meet you attended as well.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
While lots of my books come from exchanges at laundry rooms & thrift shops, if you are looking for a specific title, the $.01 + $3.99 shipping at Amazon for used books is more expensive, but you can find just about anything. I have Carol to thank for listing 2 Reacher books I somehow missed; should be here in a little over a week.

Since I'm usually not in one place long enough while on the road to get things shipped, that is part of the reason I spend less while traveling!

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote