Jack Reacher- Road Reasons - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jack Reacher- Road Reasons

I started a thread titled NO Satellite TV because we had just joined Netflix and watched a Jack Reacher movie. It had a quote that made me think of our travels, life on the road. I looked it up to share with you.

As background Jack Reacher was a career military investigator who travels the country as a vagabond with few possessions and no ties. Generally getting involved in helping others. I've read a number of his books and have generally stopped because they're a little violent for me, though the movie was not overboard.

He's talking to an female attorney about life from his perspective and the freedom he has found in his lifestyle.

"Look out the window. Tell me what you see. You see the same things that you see everyday. Well, imagine you've never seen it. Imagine you spent your whole life in other parts of the world, being told everyday that you're defending freedom. Then you finally decide you've had enough. Time to see what you've given up your whole life for, everything. Get some of that "freedom" for yourself."

"Look at the people. You tell me which ones are free. Free from debt. Anxiety. Stress. Fear. Failure. Indignity. Betrayal. How many wish that they were born knowing what they know now? Ask yourself how many would do things the same way over again, and how many would live their lives like me."

Ginny and I have had a great life, really not many complaints. However, life on the road frees you in some measure from the anxiety, stress,... mentioned in the second paragraph of the quote.

We would definitely do our travels sooner and over again, we feel a greater peace on the road and a more expansive opportunity to gain knowledge. As great as our pre-RV life was, our RV life has been better.

In the process I found a second quote from Reacher equally interesting but off topic.

“Imagine the uproar if the Federal government tried to make everyone wear a radio transmitter around their neck so we can keep track of their movements. But people happily carry their cell phones in their purses and pockets.”

Just some thoughts...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
on the road

Those Reacher books are great!. They don't last long when I get started. I would say that even though he has chosen to wander, I don't notice him getting much joy out of being on the road. His wandering seems mindless to me. As for the rv lifestyle, I could never imagine myself as a full timer. Now I love to go for a week or a month, and when I'm on the road I never yearn to be home, but I love coming home. When I look out over the fields, I sometimes see the same thing but then there is a newborn calf standing next to its mother, or the first frost, or the incredible shades of Green that went on an on this year. Sometimes its a blizzard or clouds swirling and piling up or a beautiful full moon and the coyotes howling. There is nothing boring here at home or on the road. Fulltime travel is not for me. Besides, its really difficult to plant a garden and go away for more than 4 weeks.
Steve

Old 11-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
Besides, its really difficult to plant a garden and go away for more than 4 weeks.
Steve
I hear you! After being away for the better part of a year, my garden has 4' weeds growing in it. I even covered the entire thing with black plastic, however the weeds grew through the spike holes I used to hold the plastic down. Since I'm planning another long trip next year, it is even going to get more neglect...

And, as to the Reacher books, they are one of my favorites.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #4

Florida
Ginny tells me full timings not for everyone and I agree. I would never say I disliked my old life. I had fun and interesting careers, changing careers every 5 years. As I often say, doing different things is like having more lives.

Jon,
I used to have two large flower gardens at our beach house. I loved them. I cut them back when we get home in July and before we go in the fall.

Now we visit gardens and appreciate other's work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Saw the movie Norn. Really enjoyed it.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #6

Florida
There's an interesting book in the Reacher series that covers his childhood, worth reading as background.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #7

Florida
Oops
Sorry I don't remember the title but I'll try to find it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
We named our big Doberman after Jack...
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #9

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Watched the movie and enjoyed it. Thanks Norm. Maybe we should have a "You need to watch this move" section. We're often looking for a good movie to watch on Netflix.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #10

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I've read all the Reacher books, but just had a hard time seeing 5'7" Tom Cruise as 6'5" Jack Reacher.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #11

Florida
Kevin, I agree about the choice of Tom Cruise, particularly for those who have read the book. That said I think he did a pretty good job.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #12

Florida
Second Son

Second Son describes a significant portion of Jack's youth and is an Interesting read for people who like Jack.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #13

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
I plan to move onto my boat full time in the next year. The cruising lifestyle has similar qualities to RV and Jack Reacher.

No one know where you are unless you share that. Cell phones don't work many places and most use prepaid to top up cards purchased where they are and pop in a new SIM card for a totally new number. If you are worried about privacy that is the solution.

And there is always Skype, Google Voice/Hangouts, and text messaging. I used WiFi, text messaging, email, and ebooks on my iPod touch to stay in contact with loved ones while sailing in Europe for two months.

I plan to buy a PACTOR and have SSB radio for worldwide free email. With these a Ham Radio operator can have free email worldwide (non hams pay $200/year ) from one of many HF frequency access points.

The yachtie/cruiser community is a nice one, and you don't need an expensive boat to join in. Boats have never been this cheap. Unlike campers, a sailing yacht can move thousands of miles with minimal or no fuel consumption. Anchoring out cost nothing much like boon docking.

Sat phones do more but also cost more.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #14

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
I've read all the Reacher books, but just had a hard time seeing 5'7" Tom Cruise as 6'5" Jack Reacher.

Yup so did I and apparently a lot of other Reacher fans and movie goes. Which is why it has been suggested that the film wasn't what Hollywood calls a block buster success.

Don't get me wrong I like Tom Cruise he just did not fit the imagine I had developed in my mind having read the books of what Jack Reacher should have looked like! Glad to hear it wasn't just a girl thing!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote