Joe's EggCamper Journal - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-10-2017, 05:50 AM   #71

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
So the finish sealing doesn't look all that neat - but it doesn't matter in my mind. First I laid a "small bead" around the entire MaxxFan and the pipe vent flanges. That was pushed in firmly with my finger and made the actual seal. It looked nice and smooth and with a good fillet. Then I went back over it with a much larger bead and that got very messy - just trying to add contact area between the vent and the fiberglass.

On the pipe vent I went on top of the old sealant I refused to clean off - but its sealed fine. This seal actually doesnt seal any water out anyway because the pipe itself is sealed against the roof from the factory and thats the area that keeps the water out (first pic in post 70). So all I really needed to seal was the screw holes - but I did this bead anyway.

Also at this stage I covered all the screw heads, and the areas where the rubber strip stops on the EggCamper seam - including that screw as well.

The sealant I used was called 3M Fast Cure 4000. Its a medium strength highly recommended for fiberglass and boaters swear by it even for underwater areas. I think either the butyl or the 4000 would have done the job by itself - but I'm guessing (hoping) that by using both there will be no leaks for the next 10 years!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0507.JPG   IMG_0509.JPG  

IMG_0511.JPG   IMG_0512.JPG  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
JWScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:09 AM   #72

Ohio
This last post of the outside I wish I had taken a few more pics but I got in a hurry and forgot and couldn't go back. Anyway, when you close the MaxxFan, it will hit the rib on the EggCamper. I took out the one and only screw that holds on the rib rubber strip and lifted that rubber strip off the rib a few feet back. Its only attached at the very end by the vent.

Then I took an angle grinder and ground down the rib in the area under the MaxxFan, then tapered it back to original height. I kept grinding down the seam till the MaxxFan closed fully with maybe a 1/4" air gap between it and the rib. The angle grinder made super fast work of the job (I started with a hand file and it was taking forever).

After that I reinstalled the rib vinyl strip and put the screw back in and sealed it up at the end with sealant.

You can see in the last pic how the rubber strip is now lower or closer to the roof. Its hard to see in the first pic, but there is a tiny gap between vent closed and the rubber strip.

That's all for the outside - I pulled the Egg from our friends place to ours so its now officially out of storage. Ya!!! I haven't finished the MaxxFan inside yet (wiring and trim ring) but will this weekend and add a final post.

I hope its OK to document all this step by step stuff here - I'm no means trying to come off as I know what I'm doing...ha! Just a do-it-your-selfer who wants to document stuff and hopefully help a few others along the way.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0508.JPG   IMG_0510.JPG  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-10-2017, 07:04 AM   #73

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The lid looks level to the base now, which is what you want, nice job! I see you went with the deluxe MaxxFan, with the smoke lens and remote, much better than then the fantastic fan.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #74

Name: Dave
Trailer: In the market for an EggCamper
Michigan
Hi Joe,
Just checking in....do you have any leads on an Egg Camper this Spring. You mentioned you'd keep an eye out for me. I appreciate your help.
Thanks, Big Daddy
Old 03-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #75

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The lid looks level to the base now, which is what you want, nice job! I see you went with the deluxe MaxxFan, with the smoke lens and remote, much better than then the fantastic fan.
Thanks Jim! Yea I did some thinking about that. I like the features, in/out, thermostat to save battery, open when rain etc., smoked lid. the Deluxe model was a no brainer because this fan is one of the most important features if not running ac or heat!
Old 03-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #76

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
Hi Joe,
Just checking in....do you have any leads on an Egg Camper this Spring. You mentioned you'd keep an eye out for me. I appreciate your help.
Thanks, Big Daddy
I haven't seen any come up but I haven't been looking much. I'd just check craigslist and this forum on a regular basis. One will pop up soon I bet. Seems like a couple a year come up for sale.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #77

Name: Mike
Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
Hi Joe,
Thanks, Big Daddy
Here's another place to check:

Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

You might also try SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #78

Michigan
Egg Camper Search

Thanks Joe,

I'll keep looking. Let me know if you head of anything.

Big Daddy
Old 03-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #79

Michigan
Thanks Mike,

Let me know if you hear of any leads.

Big Daddy
Old 03-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #80

Ohio
Finished up the MaxxFan today. Basically just crimped on the connectors that came with the fan. I made sure to use 1 male and 1 female connector on the fan lead, and 1 male and 1 female connector on the camper wires. This will guarantee if anybody removes the fan in the future, they cannot get the wires connected wrong. Also added some shrink tubing then tucked the wires up in the fan.

Next, measured and cut the interior trim. Held it in place and marked the holes. Removed trim, drilled ceiling for new trim screw locations, and reinstalled trim for final time.

You can see in the last pic how the smoked cover is actually quite see thru. The sky was very clear and blue today, and the pine trees show thru too. This job is finished!

One interesting thing is the fan has a "ceiling fan" mode meaning you can run it with the lid closed and it will circulate the air in the Egg without drawing it out. This should help since the AC is on the floor - hopefully it will keep the temp even thru out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0516.JPG   IMG_0518.JPG  

IMG_0519.JPG  
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #81

Ohio
Next item up was to add a "Charge Wizard" to the PD9130 converter. This turns the converter from a dumb charger into a 3 stage smart charger without replacing the entire converter. This is a must for any EggCamper owner - so simple to do and the benefits to your battery are huge. Faster charges, and no more overcharging! Once its installed - forget about it - it does all the modes automatically (bulk/normal/maintenance).

Pretty simple - just remove the screw in the back of the converter, plug in the charge wizard, then reinstall screw. The screw goes thru a tab on the cord and holds it in to the converter so it cant come out.

I put a mirror in the bottom of the closet to get a good picture of the area the wizard plugs into. My wife can never find her mirror - not sure how it always ends up in the tool box....

The Charge Wizard pendant head is just laying on the closet floor for now, but you basically just run the wire wherever you prefer and stick the pendant to the wall with the double sided tape. I'm going to just leave it stuck to the wall inside the closet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0514.JPG   IMG_0515.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #82

Ohio
This next mod is temporary. I wanted to get the spare out of the closet to free up storage room and start building shelves soon. Since the welding shop which is going to weld the back bumper is so booked up, I decided to move the tire to the tongue for now. Eventually it will go to the rear of the camper on the welded bumper (just like an Escape). I'm even going to reuse the spare tire brace you see here, but they will weld it to an upright post.

Not worried about weight on the back with spare tire and bikes because it will be offset with dual 6v batteries on the front tongue. The spare is ok on the tongue for now, but I really don't like the reduced ground clearance or appearance so that's why I want to eventuality get it to the back.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0528.JPG   IMG_0532.JPG  

IMG_0531.jpg   IMG_0533.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #83

Ohio
These are small items here - but like mentioned this thread is for documentation too!

This took all of 5 minutes. Changed out the interior incandescent 921 bulbs for LED's. Went with Green Value (shot in the dark on quality) brand LED's. Had 250 lumens and the color is called "Natural White". It was their in between color between the warm white and the cool white. It definitely got rid of the yellow look - its pretty white, but not super white. 6 pack was $36 and I needed 5 so one spare!

Next really isn't a mod - ordered a wheel for the front jack. This is for turning the egg around in the driveway. When I back the egg in, the door faces the trees. I need it the other way for access. With the wheel I can turn it 180* in the driveway by hand.
Attached Thumbnails
led.JPG   wheel.JPG  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #84

Ohio
Next on the list was a dual 6V battery box. Went with a NOCO 426. It seems quite sturdy.

The mounting of it is temporary as the welding shop will weld on a four sided L-channel support for it to sit snug in. But I went ahead and installed this for now so I can go ahead with (2) 6V's without waiting on the weld shop if desired.

I went with the way the EggCamper was setup. Front sits on flat stock and uses jack frame as a stop if needed. Rear is 2" x 2" x .25" aluminum L channel. This was already on the tongue from previous owner for a bike rack, so I shortened it and used it. Sides are open but I bolted down box with a stainless steel fastener on each corner - so it shouldn't go anywhere. Also got lucky because the small L channel currently welded on the tongue for the smaller box fits perfectly in the center of the box and is the right height to support the box across the center.

I can wrap a small chain and padlock around the whole thing for deterrence. While the single 12v is still in there, I just threw in a bunch of scrap 2x4's to fill the space and keep it from shifting.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0534.jpg   IMG_0535.jpg  

IMG_0536.JPG   IMG_0537.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal

Tags
eggcamper