Joe's EggCamper Journal - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #113

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Good info! I wasn't sure if the spring hinges would hold them while traveling but that's good to know! I may have to do this soon! Thanks again!

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
JWScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #114

Ohio
Tires

Well these will go on this weekend..... fingers crossed!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0583.jpg  

Old 04-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #115

Ohio
Wheels and Tires

Got the tires mounted to the wheels yesterday and put them on the EggCamper today. The wheels are 15x6 and are Americana Loadstar 22653. The tires are Maxxis M8008 225/75R15 is a 8 ply "D" load rating.

I think these would be about the largest tired I'd attempt to put on. But they do fit nicely without risk of rubbing anything. They do clear the front and back trim by an inch or so, but there is no movement fore and aft so no big deal. The upward travel is ok too with plenty of room to spare.

Just my opinion but I like the load capacity being a tad overkill, and the larger diameter. Now the bearings aren't spinning so hard, and the tires are rated for much more weight so heat buildup should not occur.

The entire EggCamper now sits 4-5" higher and that should do much better for boondocking. I did a 3" axle lift kit late last year in preparation for the larger wheels. Drain pipes have much better clearance also. The spare is coming off the front and going above the rear bumper if I can ever get into the weld shop, so that low clearance will be gone hopefully soon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0586.jpg   IMG_0587.jpg  

IMG_0588.jpg   IMG_0589.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #116

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Sharp looking....
Old 04-02-2017, 07:17 AM   #117

Ohio
Thanks Jim! Appreciate it.

My wife is working on valances and shower curtain so I'll get some interior pics up soon. I may slow down on mods now that camping season is here and hopefully post some pics of fun summer long weekends. I still have more improvements on the to do list. But the main ones I really wanted finished are good to go now!

I want to add a battery monitor, removable cord, additional fresh water tank and small tounge storage box at minimum. Still sleeping on the biggies like propane or solar or generator. We'll see how the summer goes without those for now. I don't want to get to the point to where we spent so much we could have bought that 5.0ta ha!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-02-2017, 08:28 AM   #118

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, when I contacted Hehr about replacing NestEgg windows with thermal window replacement, they said I was wasting my money due to the lack of insulation elsewhere. That is when I decided to go to Escape. BTW, I also replaced the Eggcamper's fixed door window with a opening slider window, it really helped with circulation after installing the better roof fan.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #119

Ohio
Handeling

Got to take the Egg for a spin again to test out the handling now that it is lifted, and has larger wheels/tires. Luckily, I can report no ill effects at all to the increased height. I did high speed (a quick 84mph the back down), a quick lane change, and a hard stop test. It was still very steady as before. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to lift an FGRV if desired as long as you keep your tongue weight in order and have a proper tv hitch height.

Now I need to build a taller entry step box...ha
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #120

Name: Mike
Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Got to take the Egg for a spin again to test out the handling now that it is lifted, and has larger wheels/tires. Luckily, I can report no ill effects at all to the increased height. I did high speed (a quick 84mph the back down), a quick lane change, and a hard stop test. It was still very steady as before. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to lift an FGRV if desired as long as you keep your tongue weight in order and have a proper tv hitch height.

Now I need to build a taller entry step box...ha
84 mph?

I wondered who that was when you turned around in front of my place here.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #121

Ohio
I know I know!!! WAY to fast! But I just wanted to get her up there so I knew I wouldn't be right on the edge of sway during normal travel. I won't go over 70ish traveling but at least I know if I drift up there it's stable! I was only up there for a few seconds!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #122

Name: Mike
Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
I know I know!!! WAY to fast! But I just wanted to get her up there so I knew I wouldn't be right on the edge of sway during normal travel. I won't go over 70ish traveling but at least I know if I drift up there it's stable! I was only up there for a few seconds!!
Well, I've already swept the rubber off the street here.

Actually that's exactly what I do. There's such a strong relationship between speed and sway that I want to find out what the limits are under controlled conditions before I find out later in some unexpected and unpleasant way.

But, I don't go posting about it online and tell the whole world about it! Oops, I just did!

By the way, the trailer's looking good Joe, I'm enjoying your posts.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #123

Ohio
Thanks Mike! Appreciate it! I hope these posts are useful to others besides me! I hope others can find some good info from them. I know I've stolen a lot of others ideas!

I agree - it's all in the data! I couldn't go down the road at 70ish for years wondering if it got unstable at 72.....ha!

Actually I had dyslexia. I meant to type 48 - yea that's it - I was going 48mph! ha!

My wife is making some pillows over the next few days so hopefully this weekend I can post some interior pics. We kept it simple - but added just a little color.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #124

Ohio
Interior Pics

Here is some pics of what my wife did to the inside! In my opinion she did a great job! The original EggCamper carpet is grey. She found a grey comforter, then found a shower curtain she liked and bought two of them. The shower curtain is the clothy type so she added a liner on the bathroom. Then used the extra shower curtain to cut up and make valances and throw pillows! Then found a matching picture and stuck it to the wall with 3M sticky strips. Added a gray small entry rug at the door and another on the counter top for protection.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0615.jpg   IMG_0607.jpg  

IMG_0613.jpg   IMG_0609.jpg  

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #125

Pennsylvania
Registry
Looks great Joe, one suggestion I did with mine. The lock on the closet on the bath wall facing the dinette would hit my back when sitting at the dinette, I moved it up to the top, centered. It still functioned properly there and no more back stabs.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #126

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Looks great Joe, one suggestion I did with mine. The lock on the closet on the bath wall facing the dinette would hit my back when sitting at the dinette, I moved it up to the top, centered. It still functioned properly there and no more back stabs.
I like that idea Jim!! Another mod to do very shortly! Thanks very much!

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal

Tags
eggcamper