Joe's EggCamper Journal - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #161

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I have a Champion inverter generator about the same size as your Honda and it runs the 7000btu AC in my Egg while in ECO mode. I wonder if the lower BTU content of propane (notice dual fuel engines are de-rated on propane) is at fault or a soft start is in order?

No idea if this even relates to the gen/LP change over but our company converted a few gas vehicles over to LP back when there was talk of gas shortages possible. I drove one regularly, the power was not the same and the mpg was less.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #162

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
No idea if this even relates to the gen/LP change over but our company converted a few gas vehicles over to LP back when there was talk of gas shortages possible. I drove one regularly, the power was not the same and the mpg was less.
I agree Dave. I've read conflicting info but agree there is most likely some hit to performance. But this was a trade off I had to decide to take in order to not have to carry gasoline. And the other disadvantages of gas during storage. It's all a trade off but I think this thing will work ok once the easy start is installed and i can run it on Eco. Also, I want it to be able to hook up to my large home propane tank for power outages. I too have read that these window units don't even have a capacitor making them heavy to start. I have been successful with the microwave and water heater on Eco without red light. She struggles a bit but does then get going. Maybe that's normal?
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:13 AM   #163

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeee View Post
This is a great idea. I'm going to do it. Thank you!!!
Hi Buggeee,

I see you are in Ohio also. If I may, a tip for the project. I went to Home Depot, Lowe's, then called all the mom/pop stores and even plumbing supply stores. Nobody had ABS pipe (refereed to as black PVC). They only have white PVC. I was about to buy PVC and paint it, then my wife said "call Menard's". Wouldn't you know it - Menard's carry's black ABS!

Menard's even had the large u-bolts required that the others stores didn't have. And a nifty stair support (10" L bracket with holes already in it) that I was able to cut into smaller L brackets with an angle grinder.

Good luck with the project!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 08-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #164

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I had a post all typed and ready... then poof! Hate the internet connection sometimes.

Joe - question for you. Does your kit dynamically adjust propane flow based on load or just regulate to one preset amount?

I have been reading about propane conversions for small generators and most I have seen state ECO mode is no longer possible. Basically the ECO mode on Hondas is an electrically controlled throttle plate on the OE carb, which regulates air flow and the resulting fuel metering. But for propane add on kits, there is no regulation of propane flow. Only thing that happens at this point is the air is blocked off while propane still flows at preset amount.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #165

Ohio
Hi Jason,

I'm not really sure, but my best guess is it does not regulate propane flow. Here is the reason why - all that is to the kit is a regulator on a bracket that mounts inside the gen. The only wire to the entire thing is a ground wire. So the propane goes into the inlet, thru the internal regulator, then thru the hose to the spacer nozzle on the carb. So I really dont see a way it can regulate propane flow.

But the rpm's still vary by load - maybe thru air flow control like you said. With that being the case, Im not sure where the extra propane would go. Because if in Eco mode (it does still vary with the switch), wouldn't it be too rich? And at full throttle too lean? This being with propane flowing the same but air adjustment. There also is a separate orifice to install for high elevation.

I really am not sure how it works in any more detail than that - I wish I did know! But the interesting thing is when you read a lot of others posts on LP conversion with the Honda, they say it sips propane on Eco mode (imagination?). If what we believe is happening really is happening, wouldn't fuel usage be the same no matter rpm?
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #166

Ohio
on demand regulator?

Propane & Nat. Gas Kits for Honda Generators

Jason, on their link, it states 0.7lbs usage at 400w, 0.92lbs at 800w, and 1.6lbs at 1600w.

The description does say "propane demand regulator". So maybe the regulator somehow opens up on demand? But how does it know the demand?

You must have regulated LP going into the gen - I used a standard 11-15wc regulator at the tank. But you can also use the inline regulator with the kit. So this is actually regulated twice.

The only thing I can think of is if somehow it regulates propane flow by the vacuum created thru the LP feed hose by the carb??

IDK - its over my head....
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 08-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #167

Ohio
Generator user error and a/c user error.....uuugggggg

Pretty much sums it up. I fired up the gen again only to have it run like crap for a few seconds and die. Back to going thru instructions. Everything installed correctly. Anyway, I noticed it said a smaller plug gap is recommended so I pulled the plug and set to Genconnex gap value. It ran better and didn't quit but didn't run smooth. Finally I see the Genconnex papers say to use a different spark plug. Off to store I go and $3 later return. Install new plug to Genconnex gap and the gen now FINALLY runs great!

Here's what frustrates me. When you follow the directions step by step beginning to end it does not mention changing the plug gap and type. Not in there. Its just listed in a quick reference section but not in the step by step. I tore into this thing for 2 full days. This would have been avoided if Genconnex included the $3 spark plug in their $350 kit, and added it as a step in the directions! Oh well - its fixed now.

Now that its running right I have better results with the appliances. I can now run all the appliances on Eco mode. That's a HUGE plus. I even ran the hot water heater (1440 watts) and the a/c (450 watts) and it fired up both from Eco mode. I wont do that because its rated 1600 continuous but the test run didn't red light the gen. I'm satisfied now!

Ok, as for the a/c - when the gen is running Eco and a/c kicks on, the gen idles higher but not all that much!! As expected since its 450 watts. So before I was having a/c user error too! I would turn down the a/c temp to turn off compressor then turn it back up and gen would red light. What I was doing was not waiting time for the high/low lines in the a/c to equalize. When you turn it down and right back up, the a/c kinda locks up spiking the gen to red light. That was user error and if I let it sit a few minutes then the a/c compressor kicks on fine with little rpm increase!

So basically the issues I was having were my own doing. But finally got em figured out! I'm going to hold off on the 8k btu and the easy start!

One interesting thing tho - when the a/c compressor kicks on, or even the water heater kicks on there is a tiny power outage or power blink in the gen output. Its like when the gen goes from Eco to high rpm - that that ramp up time (less than a second) will cut output power for a half second. I know this is happening cause the microwave will beep - like i just plugged it in. I guess its normal during that split second transition. I would never know this was happening if it were not for the microwave beep. So in order to keep the microwave from beeping every time the a/c kicks on I will have to unplug the microwave while sleeping. Minor issue I guess. Not sure its fixable. It doesn't happen when the camper is plugged into shore power, so its definitely the gen output blinking.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 08-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #168

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Finally I see the Genconnex papers say to use a different spark plug.
Oh yeah, Joe, I was going to suggest that!

Naw, I had absolutely no idea whatsoever. I was clueless.

But, it certainly makes sense. This is a part of the forum that is helpful, when we learn from what happened to others, so thanks for posting. Hopefully I can be the one to take the hit and benefit others with a "lesson learned" some time!

Oh, and like you said, you did save a ton on the new hardware, so there's that to keep in mind!

As to the power supply to the microwave, I'm thinking programmable logic controller with load-shedding relays, what do you think?! We can get that extra money spent somehow!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #169

California
Gotta love those instructions Joe.....not. It is amazing how many times you can find something so simple not included in them. I've had instructions in the box that weren't even for the item. But we're guys and we don't need any stinking instructions . Just a thought about the micro disconnect. Any chance of installing a regular wall switch that feeds the micros plug that may make it easier to get at? I'd have to pull my micro out to unplug it.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:59 AM   #170

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Oh yeah, Joe, I was going to suggest that!

Naw, I had absolutely no idea whatsoever. I was clueless.

But, it certainly makes sense. This is a part of the forum that is helpful, when we learn from what happened to others, so thanks for posting. Hopefully I can be the one to take the hit and benefit others with a "lesson learned" some time!

Oh, and like you said, you did save a ton on the new hardware, so there's that to keep in mind!

As to the power supply to the microwave, I'm thinking programmable logic controller with load-shedding relays, what do you think?! We can get that extra money spent somehow!
Hey Mike - yea it was frustrating! I should have realized when I read it in the "quick reference" but the instructions sure would be fool proof had it been included as a step!! I also ran dino oil on the 4 hours break in then switched to Mobil 1. In the same "quick reference" it states to run synthetic. I sure hope I didnt hurt the gen. Ran her maybe 4 hours on the old plug and dino. Its probably ok tho. As for that programmable logic load spinning controller device....hahaha....no offense, but I may have to use Dave's suggestion below!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Gotta love those instructions Joe.....not. It is amazing how many times you can find something so simple not included in them. I've had instructions in the box that weren't even for the item. But we're guys and we don't need any stinking instructions . Just a thought about the micro disconnect. Any chance of installing a regular wall switch that feeds the micros plug that may make it easier to get at? I'd have to pull my micro out to unplug it.
Hi Dave. I think you hit the nail on the head! Luckily the microwave plugs in to the bottom of the cabinet next to the microwave and not behind it! So the plug is very easy to get to! But yes, I think I'll just add a switch/socket instead of a dual socket. Just a couple screws and done! Thanks for the idea!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 08-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #171

Tennessee
Quote:
Propane & Nat. Gas Kits for Honda Generators

Jason, on their link, it states 0.7lbs usage at 400w, 0.92lbs at 800w, and 1.6lbs at 1600w.

The description does say "propane demand regulator". So maybe the regulator somehow opens up on demand? But how does it know the demand?

You must have regulated LP going into the gen - I used a standard 11-15wc regulator at the tank. But you can also use the inline regulator with the kit. So this is actually regulated twice.

The only thing I can think of is if somehow it regulates propane flow by the vacuum created thru the LP feed hose by the carb??

IDK - its over my head....
I don't know if its the kit you used, but I watched a YouTube video to get a better idea of what the install entailed. In that video the installer mentions you need to adjust the regulator based on the rated output of the generator. There is a screw that is bottomed then backed out 1/4 turn for every 1/4 HP (I think).

I think these kits just allow the engine to run a little rich at idle (in ECO) then it may run a little lean at full load. Most of the time I bet generators are running only part load and since propane runs so clean it doesn't hurt it.

Interesting term "propane demand regulator". I wonder if the vacuum signal from the engine will cause the regulator to increase or decrease flow? And how does it do that down the same hose? BTW there is just one hose to the engine, right?

Jason
Old 08-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #172

Ohio
Hi Jason,

This kit I bought is set by Genconnex for the particular make/model of gen, so there is no adjustment necessary. The propane demand regulator in the kit is here:

The guy doesnt say wether the valve just opens and closes or opens more with more vacuum, but somebody asked him in the comments below the video and his answer is this:

The Demand Regulator is more than a cut-off. The Demand Regulator meters out the vapor based on the volume of air through the carb area ie throat of the intake manifold.

So this makes sense. The more vacuum pulled from the carb, the more the valve opens and allows more flow. It seems to be an adjustable flow - not fixed. That would explain the different usages per loads. There is only one hose going from the outlet of this regulator to the carb plate.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 08-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #173

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
My understanding of the following is minimal but it comes from a person who is knows quite a bit about it. You can research the topic further on the internet. No use asking me questions about this as I can't answer them.

You power the AC device through a inverter that is properly sized for the load. The inverter is of course hooked to your deep cycle battery that has a sufficient sized capacity. The generator is hooked to supply power to your battery. The battery can withstand/absorb the startup load without the generator being overpowered and put into shutdown or fault mode.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #174

Tennessee
Hi Joe,

Yeah, it appears your kit does draw more vapor depending on load. As I was reading on their web site they do say they have pre-adjusted the regulators so it should be bolt on. Several of the other kits I have found are not pre-adjusted, so that's probably what I was seeing.

I need to find a kit for my Champion.

Jason
Old 12-29-2017, 10:04 PM   #175

Ohio
Well with this cold weather not a whole lot going on!! We stripped the Egg for winter storage and luckily our friends who built a detached garage have not filled it up yet! So our egg is in inside storage for one more year! I am planning more bike rack/kayak rack which is NOT turning out to be cheap! I never imagined having more invested in a kayak rack then the 2 kayaks cost! I wish I could weld!! The bike/kayak plans are changing daily uuggg so Ill wait till its all figured out to post the details.

Anyway, A winter pic taken TODAY in cold cold weather! Cant wait till spring!! Hope all had a Merry Christmas and will enjoy a great New Year!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1264.jpg  
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 12-29-2017, 10:16 PM   #176

Ohio
Front Kayak Rack

Well just a part of the puzzle. This is the front Kayak rack. Its a single bar Yakima rack. The mounts are called Q-towers, and the bar is a 78", The truck is a 2011 Silverado Regular Cab and the q-clips are Q-118. Its much more utilitiarian look then I would prefer, but I think in this case its best to go with a wider bar than sporty looks. Still working on the rear kayak bar, and the final bike rack mount - will post more as it all gels. Sometimes your plans just need to change on the fly due to unforeseen issues.......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1263.jpg  
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 12-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #177

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I was advised many years ago that I should not place my racks on the cab of the truck and on my canopy because the bed of the truck and the cab twist in different directions, going over uneven surfaces, which would twist my canoe.
You could mount another rack to the front bumper so that both racks are attached to the cab.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:38 AM   #178

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I was advised many years ago that I should not place my racks on the cab of the truck and on my canopy because the bed of the truck and the cab twist in different directions, going over uneven surfaces, which would twist my canoe.
You could mount another rack to the front bumper so that both racks are attached to the cab.
Good point Glenn but in thinking about the flex/twist I have to wonder if in normal road use like an angled driveway ramp would really make much of a difference to a composite canoe or kayak, you're not rock crawling . With a wooden boat I can see some possible damage though.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:45 AM   #179

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I didn't test the advice. But I have seen the flex that happens just driving over a mall speed bump at an angle.
Hit more than a few rocks with my canoe too.
Put both racks on the bed or both on the cab somehow.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:05 AM   #180

California
Quote:
I wish I could weld!!

Joe, pick up a wire feed and give it a go. I bought a Hobart Handler 135 years ago and burned a lot of wire learning but wire is cheap . Just one of life's learning experiences......kind of nice to have on hand too .

Tags
eggcamper