Joining Passport America - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2007, 08:41 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via AIM to Ken&Chris
I am going to Pahrump , Terribles Lakeside RV this winter and see they belong to Passport America. Is joining it a good deal? What are the pros and cons about joining? If I join I will probably go for the 3 years. Any input would help. Thanks, Ken
Ken&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It depends on your camping style and what parts of the country you camp in. I'd go for a one year and see how the economics come out.

The major drawback to PA is that each CG is allowed to set its own conditions, so things are not the same everywhere. It becomes very important to read the conditions for CGs BEFORE you try to use one or you may be disappointed.

Personally, I prefer rustic places, so I found PA not of much use in the West, where public lands abound, but quite useful in the East.

More info can be found by searching the archives here and on groups like Escapees, RV.NET, etc.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Lori and I have found PA to be extremely cost effective out here in the West. The annual cost of $60 will probably be paid for in about 6 nights (give or take) of camping. For you a trip to Pahrump will pay your first years membership. What is there to lose. We pay year to year.

When we are traveling across states, we find the $10 or $12 per night in an excellent RV park is great. We have used it in California, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.

We did hit one RV park that was a loser in Texas.

Like Pete says, read the sticking points for each place you want to stay. Some say, NOT during primary ‘blackout’ months. Some say one week advance reservation needed. It really didn’t get in our way.

We like it mainly for the amenities provide, electricity, cable TV, swimming pools (some times), etc.

I hope this helps,
Mike
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Here is the info for Terrible's.
Notes: P.A. discount is valid for 3 nights. Maximum 2 dogs. *$22.00 to $29.70 per night regular rate, P.A. rate is $11.00 to $14.85 per night.

There is also "Preferred RV Resort" in Pahrump.

Notes: P.A. discount is valid for 14 night maximum stay April through September and November through February. 7 night maximum stay March and October. P.A. discount is given on space availability basis. Non aggressive pets allowed. Pets must be leashed. No tents. Reg Rate 25.00 PA rate 12.50.

Membership in Passport America is well worth the investment for anyone traveling long distance or just wanting to make a short stay in an area. Ninety-nine % of the PA campgrounds are I bought a lifetime membership when it came time ro renew for the second year in 2005. Membership cost will be fully recovered in two and a half years when I return from Florida in October. Leaving Wednesday or Thursday.

You might be able to move back and forth between the two of them. If not, you could boondock around Lake Mead.

PA is kind of quirky in that each RV park chooses the terms of the discount. Some only have one day of discount. Some only discount the week days. Some require cash payment (no credit card or check). [I know how that is {not} being accounted for in the business records]. Almost all do not discount holiday weekends.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #5

Registry
Here is a new park that joined the program this year.

Toll Free: (800) 429-6665

Website: Seibt Desert Retreat Luxury RV Resort in Pahrump, Nevada Website
http://www.seibtdesertretreat.com
Email: info@seibtdesertretreat.com

Regular Rate(s) $28.00 - $45.00
Passport America Rate(s) $14.00 - $22.50
Directory Page 0
Dot Number 5

Highlights:
Highly rated luxury RV Resort. 205 RV sites, can accommodate RVs up to 130 ft., 50 amp. Ecologically balanced Resort with in-house landscaping crew that never ever applies insecticides, weed killer, or herbicide. No sprinklers, all drip systems. 10-ft. tall waterfall, 2 outdoor solar heated pools and Jacuzzi, indoor spa with saunas, steam rooms and Jacuzzis, fitness center with Cybex equipment. Laundry facility. Putting green, pet center. Free WiFi internet. Walled in, gated community with 24-hour security officers, cameras along perimeters. Bowling center, bar and restaurant serve organic and non-organic food. No deep fried food, no microwave oven, no plastic containers. Reverse osmosis water in restaurant and bar. Wines from Georgia, Italy, Germany, Australia, France and USA. Greatest liquor selection in Pahrump. Coming Soon: Convention center, Polynesian style restaurant, piano bar and lounge, and convenience store. Located 60 miles Northwest of Las Vegas, 50 miles from Death Valley.
Notes:
RVs allowed: Class A, Class C over 25 ft., and 5th Wheels over 25 ft. Passport America discount is valid for an unlimited time based on space availability. We are pet friendly.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Here is a new park that joined the program this year.
Notes:
RVs allowed: Class A, Class C over 25 ft., and 5th Wheels over 25 ft. Passport America discount is valid for an unlimited time based on space availability. We are pet friendly.
Lets me out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #7

Registry
I was wondering how long before someone noticed the "fine print". I think the longer Bigfoot trailers might qualify if they will allow a standard trailer. I guess those of us that don't need or want a big RV are undesirables.

Curt
Old 09-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Ken and Chris,

I've been a PA member for some 6 years or so. I last paid $89 for a 3 year membership. Then I re-cooped $45 at Pahrump 2006, $24 on the Alaska trip 2006 and $84 on my Vancouver Island trip 2007. I have used PA infrequently as most of campgrounds have not been on routes that I have taken on my trips. But as you can see I'm ahead of the game by some $64.

I'm hopeful that I'll be able to use PA next summer when I head to the Great Lakes, however either way I've already got my membership fee back plus.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Ken & Chris -

What WebGuy and Joy said! We have been members for 2 years and have found only one 'dud', in Tucson, AZ. We don't use PA that often, because, as Joy stated, there might not be one on/near our route, and we prefer Corps of Engrs, USFS etc when practical. We easily recoup our annual membership and come out on the plus side.

That said, we are writing from a PA park near Lancaster, PA - Roamers Rest, and it is quite nice, in a rustic sort of way. Mgrs are very friendly too. Try it for one year and see if it fits your travel style. Happy trails - perhaps our travel paths will cross one of these days. Take care, L 'n D
Old 09-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
ps - as for the "luxury RV retreats" like that one in Pahrump, we just give 'em the ol' razberry and drive right by! Terribles is spiffy enuff for us, and they always make us feel welcome! L 'n D
Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Maybe we are viewed as "Little" trailer trash.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote