Jokes on me..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
How difficult is it? That was my question. Everyone who has done it say's the same thing. "Oh its not that hard."....Had I met these people face to face I would have understood the word "that" would be accentuated, they would shrug their shoulders, their eyebrows would sweat, and they would fidget just a tad to much. I would have know they were lying. Me all doe eyed and happy for a new project, eager since camping has dwindled down with the cold weather. So off I went to the store to purchase supplies to paint the interior of my Scamp. Yes, the joke is on me.......easy????? OH HAHA......yes thats okay, I say the same thing about labor to a newly expecting mothers....."its not that bad.....you'll forget the pain".......eventually, all the while coving my smirk....sucker. Yes thats how I feel on day four of painting h*ll. I trusted you my friends, my fellow campers...why, why would you of all people steer me wrong....so niave I was. Lets just start with caulking the seams. I am OCD. I relish in the fact that I spent days carefully fluffing it just so as to blend perfectly. After the first layer of paint I can honestly say it looks like a 4 year old did it. Well I'm into it this far so I am stuck finishing this project curssing those who stated with enthusiasm how e-a-s-y it was. Eventually when this project is finished and I'm camping and people come to admire my trailer....only then might I forgive you for misleading me with your statement. And I to might say the same thing...days worth of labor forgotten......someone will say "was it difficult"......and sipping my corona, the sun shining, I might momentarily forget just how much I hate this project right now.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
All right, all right ....I 'confess'!
I was the one behind the plot to make you believe splashing some paint on the interior walls of an EGG was going to be easy!!!

Fifty lashes with a jello soaked wet noodle for me.....

....an yewr prolly usin da wrong roller sleeve and brush ta boot!!!!

Did you scuff (sand) the walls?
Did you do a good job washing and rinsing the walls after scuffing?
Did you use one or two coats of primer paint?
The chalking, is/was it 'paintable'?

I think my splash job took all of 4 or 5 days but the time involved did NOT in any way make it easier a job.
Attached Thumbnails
Backsplash___cupboards.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Well, now!
It really wasn't 'THAT" hard now, was it?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #4

*shakes fist* curse you........I'll get you...and your little dog to!

Quote:
Well, now!
It really wasn't 'THAT" hard now, was it?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I notice Doug has a Trillium and James has a Boler.

Brandy, were any of those people who told you it would be easy, were they Scamp owners?

In other words, did you take the advice of people familiar with your trailer brand?

I am sorry for your frustration...

On edit: Oh, I see you did have at least one Scamp owner advise you that it would be easy.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=293337
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:

I hear you!
Actually I went from this

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002_01.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	16467

to this

Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Paint__2__2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	16468

Mary... It may not be a Scamp, but work is still work and after all is said and done....
By gosh, It was well worth it!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #7

sheeesh the outside looks hard to do........the inside is not hard per say....... but easy? now thats a stretch..........I still love you guys I'm not ready to break up with you just yet!

Quote:

I hear you!
Actually I went from this

Attachment 16467

to this

Attachment 16468

Mary... It may not be a Scamp, but work is still work and after all is said and done....
By gosh, It was well worth it!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #8

Thank you for your kind words........the "others" are still on the list! its just one of those projects I'm curssing my way thru but I know I will love the end result!

Quote:
I notice Doug has a Trillium and James has a Boler.

Brandy, were any of those people who told you it would be easy, were they Scamp owners?

In other words, did you take the advice of people familiar with your trailer brand?

I am sorry for your frustration...

On edit: Oh, I see you did have at least one Scamp owner advise you that it would be easy.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=293337
Old 10-27-2008, 07:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi: Brandy... Sounds like your "Not in Kansas anymore"??? Painting is the easy part... No one said the "PREP" was!!! I'm Obsessive Compulsive... and we are the worst nightmare for DIY projects.
You missed a spot in that corner over there!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #10

Doug your on the top of "my list".....I'm watching you my friend
P.S the disco ball rotater thing that you gave me works great...using it for halloween! Thanks again.

[quote]
All right, all right ....I 'confess'!
I was the one behind the plot to make you believe splashing some paint on the interior walls of an EGG was going to be easy!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #11

That smiling face exploding has me laughing so hard its exactly how I feel!!!!

You missed a spot in that corner over there!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

[/quote]
Old 10-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #12

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Now let's see, don't recall if you told us if you had removed everything on the interior before caulking and painting.

Ours was completely gutted inside to the elephant hide and it was pretty easy.... but I can imagine if one had all those cabinets and benches in the way it could become very difficult..

Oh well, nothing a few or won't fix and I'm sure the difference in how it ultimately looks will be well worth the effort.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #13

Oppsie you left out that little detail about the remove everything.......yes that would have been easier...but oh well now I have something new to OCD over...never a dull day at my house........I must say as the paint dries I curse all of you just a bit less......

Quote:
Now let's see, don't recall if you told us if you had removed everything on the interior before caulking and painting.

Ours was completely gutted inside to the elephant hide and it was pretty easy.... but I can imagine if one had all those cabinets and benches in the way it could become very difficult..

Oh well, nothing a few or won't fix and I'm sure the difference in how it ultimately looks will be well worth the effort.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #14

Brandy
That was just the outside. In the past year we have also changed the table/sleeping area to a permanent bed, created a front dinette and made all new curtains. I added outside hatches to access the under seat storage and replaced all the marker lights. Somewhere in between we put a new axle underneath.
Now that wasn't too hard was it?
hen I sat back and decided to procrastinate a bit. Next year we will have to re wire the trailer. Then I want to redo the plumbing and sometime make all new cupboard and cabinet doors.
Don't forget--- You have to leave something for later, to do when you're not camping.

Jim
Old 10-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Brandy,

I'm sorry you are finding the job so difficult. Mine was not. We have a Boler and it wasn't gutted when I painted it. Putting in the paintable silicone was tedious, but it worked out well and didn't take long at all. I feel bad the job has caused you so much angst. But when it's done it will look so much better, you'll forget all about being angry!

Dianne
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #16

.words I need to live by.....thou shalt not covet they neighbors trailer.........thats what got me into this painting mess in the first place

Quote:
Brandy
That was just the outside. In the past year we have also changed the table/sleeping area to a permanent bed, created a front dinette and made all new curtains. I added outside hatches to access the under seat storage and replaced all the marker lights. Somewhere in between we put a new axle underneath.
Now that wasn't too hard was it?
hen I sat back and decided to procrastinate a bit. Next year we will have to re wire the trailer. Then I want to redo the plumbing and sometime make all new cupboard and cabinet doors.
Don't forget--- You have to leave something for later, to do when you're not camping.

Jim
Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #17

Oh thanks I'm really not THAT ANGRY......just thinking about you guys while I'm painting however.....

Quote:
Brandy,

I'm sorry you are finding the job so difficult. Mine was not. We have a Boler and it wasn't gutted when I painted it. Putting in the paintable silicone was tedious, but it worked out well and didn't take long at all. I feel bad the job has caused you so much angst. But when it's done it will look so much better, you'll forget all about being angry!

Dianne
Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #18

You sound like the job is getting the better of you. Duck if you want 'cause here comes a pep talk. Actually, it's a lot easier when you think about only one job at a time. One area at a time. One part at a time. Then each little part gets done and becomes a part of the whole thing and little by little you do end up with a finished trailer. Don't try to do everything at the same time.
Hang in there. The first time someone says "Wow! did you do that yourself?", You'll think to yourself, "Now that wasn't so bad, was it".
We got the little 13 footer back in '94 and used it mostly, just as it came to us, until about two years ago when we decided that it needed a real face lift. I'm influenced by the thought that I can always take it camping and finish the job later. Besides my workshop is the driveway so I can only work on it on nice days. And that's when the neighbours kibbitz and offer suggestions until asked to lend a hand, and then they promptly dissapear. I sometimes think that they know my to do list better than I do myself. And that's OK too.
Give us pictures as you finish or change something and then we will all stand and cheer.
Jim
Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #19

Awwwww.......thank you. Yes the hard part is over. caulking all done, zinzer prep coat, and today the first real coat of paint. Today I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think 4 days ago when I started I was just to anxious to get it done and over with. Tomorrow I will put on the last coat and assemble it back together later in the afternoon....AND I know how you guys LOVE photos.....so I took a bunch along the way. I am thankful I took my time, no missed spots that bug the heck out of me, and it really does look AMAZING.......so here is where I come in and apologize and ask for that big ole group hug .......the funny comments along the way kept me from selling the trailer partially disasembled and halfway painted....thank you all.......... and.....it wasn't THAT difficult

Quote:
You sound like the job is getting the better of you. Duck if you want 'cause here comes a pep talk. Actually, it's a lot easier when you think about only one job at a time. One area at a time. One part at a time. Then each little part gets done and becomes a part of the whole thing and little by little you do end up with a finished trailer. Don't try to do everything at the same time.
Hang in there. The first time someone says "Wow! did you do that yourself?", You'll think to yourself, "Now that wasn't so bad, was it".
We got the little 13 footer back in '94 and used it mostly, just as it came to us, until about two years ago when we decided that it needed a real face lift. I'm influenced by the thought that I can always take it camping and finish the job later. Besides my workshop is the driveway so I can only work on it on nice days. And that's when the neighbours kibbitz and offer suggestions until asked to lend a hand, and then they promptly dissapear. I sometimes think that they know my to do list better than I do myself. And that's OK too.
Give us pictures as you finish or change something and then we will all stand and cheer.
Jim
Old 10-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan

Closest thing I see to a Group Hug....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote