Jump Starter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jump Starter

When we first began RVing some 14 years ago friends of Ginny gave us a Jump Starter, something we would have never bought for ourselves. We felt it was valuable because we are often a long way from charging assistance.

It turns out that we have had occasion to use it a number of times over the years and more often to help others with it. (The same might be said for our compressor that we frequently use but has helped others a number of times.)

After 14 years our Jump Starter has worn out so Ginny said buy another. This time, with new battery technology, we have a jump starter that will fit in a large pocket and best of all can be topped off while driving. (One of the problems with our rather large 1st Jump Starter was that you had to remember to occasionally top it off, not with this one that can be charged topped off from the 12 volt out let while driving.)

Amazon.com: PowerAll PBJS12000R Rosso Red/Black Portable Power Bank and Car Jump Starter: Automotive

Note this is not designed to start really large gas or diesel engines.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Thanks for that. I have seen some at HF or other places and I am sure they are "cheap". I put yours on my Amazon wish list for a place marker for future use. Cant tell you how many times I have used my mini-air pump. I also keep two cans of Slime around too. Some say not to use it but when you are in the middle of nowhere it works. I just tell the tire guy up front that I did use it and they never say anything so far.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Haven't had to yet, but I figure I could use my trailer's battery to jump start my truck if I had to.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
I carried a can of Slime equivalent for 14 years and never used it. I also carried a tire plug kit and used that about 6 times.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I don't use Slime in road tires but it is the Bee's Knees for wheelbarrow and my kid's bike tires. Makes even cheap Chinese bike tubes stay up. I love my old B&D jumper. I have "loaned" it several times to keep from hooking somebody else's problem up to my truck. Thanks for the link to a new one.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I don't use Slime in road tires but it is the Bee's Knees for wheelbarrow and my kid's bike tires. Makes even cheap Chinese bike tubes stay up. I love my old B&D jumper. I have "loaned" it several times to keep from hooking somebody else's problem up to my truck. Thanks for the link to a new one.
Good advice.

In a passenger or truck or trailer tire "Slime" will make it impossible to do a satisfactory repair later. Also putting that much weight in a tire that is used at highway speeds makes it impossible to balance because the material moves around inside the tire. Slime is great in riding lawn mower tires etc.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
If "Slime" is spare tire in a can, then I have used it a number of times on my vehicles. No problem with balance, go figure. I just follow the instructions to drive around for a while after use.
A former uncle in-law said that the stuff actually balanced a tire that the shop could not. I can't explain that.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
"Jumpits" are also a really good item to have for emergencies with your trailer battery. I used mine for a week once when I could not get to a place to get a new battery. I at least had lights every nite. I used the water pump sparingly too.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I recently bought a ViAir 88P portable air pump, which clamps to the battery terminals for power (the lighter plug sockets in my vehicles are only 10A, the ViAir needs 15A or more). I've used it 3 times already and it works wonderfully, but raising the hood is a bit of a hassle. Looks like I could keep one of these in the same bag with the pump and hook the clamps together, using this power unit to run the pump. That would be handy.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Michigan
Looks like a nice jump start unit Norm. Now on my wish list too. Thx!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote