Jumping Ship - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Well folks, I feel compelled to inform folks that very shortly, I will no longer be in the Molded Fiberglass family.

As much as I have made the Burro a labor of love and have had much fun doing so, it became much too small for my fulltiming needs. I was having much difficulty sharing the limited space with 3 other four legged friends.

Re homing them was just not an option, so I bought them a 31 foot class a motor home and now am among the dreaded monster sticky crowd with 8 cylinders and a high gas budget :-P

I will put the Burro up for sale shortly, with a very heavy heart. I hope to still be welcome at gatherings as I can and will most certainly still be very active here. I think I can still share with others, even if I am not right in the middle of a fiberglass rig.

I hope to become an egger again, when the situation is correct for it, but for now, I have to "Park" that hobby. sigh.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Gina, I for one can't blame you. The extra room is great. I love my Scamp but would go crazy living in it fill time.
Last August I bought an 07 16' self contained Fun Finder. It was a Credit Union repo so I bought it right.
Just the extra foot in width made all the difference in the world.
I'm back to tripping over my dog in my narrower 16' Scamp.
I had to sell it as it was just to heavy for my little Tacoma.
Are you still in Quartzsite?
I 'm going stir crazy as my broken wrist and surgery has had me out of commission for the last 6 or 7 months.
I was thinking of heading over your way to warm up for a few days in the next couple of weeks.
If your still there I would like to meet you. As far as I'm concerned you will always be welcome.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Awwww. Gina I certainly can't blame you. As much as I love my Casita I know I couldn't full time in it. Even with one little 14 pound dog, it would be tough. Wish you the best! And certainly hope you will hang here with us, cause we know where your heart is with these lil glass trailers. Enjoy your new stickie! We always enjoyed our Class A's things just changed for our "needs" and the Casita works for us now. Best of Luck!

Don't forget to post pic's of your new Class A..............
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

Good Luck with you new Home on Wheels. Who could blame anyone for wanting more room while full-timing. And if you are staying in one area for extended stays, the mpg does not factor in for too much. Will you keep what you have as a dinghy or get a smaller vehicle which could be a gas saver? We towed a Geo Metro for many years on our trips in our C-class.

Love to see pics of your new home. Congrats!
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Gina, Have always enjoyed your posts here & would miss you & them dearly.. I will still look forward to your posts about the Beagles & yourself... Please stay around & Best to you on your next stage of life...... 31 Feet>>>> Must look like the Taj Mahal inside !!!!
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
You deserve the extra space, Gina. Stay happy and drop us a note from time to time.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We consider the Casita to be our moving hotel suite. A bigger unit would be a moving cottage. I couldn't live in a hotel suite but a cottage could do nicely. It all dependes on your needs. Congrats, on your new home. Terry R
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	jumping_ship.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	26695

Don't get lost in that BIG rig.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	26696

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I wish mine looked like that!

I am afraid my budget would only allow for a 1990 Winnebago..complete with carburetor! It is ugly outside, dated inside, but it runs very well. The rest is just elbow grease. Safety/reliability came first.

It does have basement storage, however, and it took me a couple times to realize I did not have to find a cubbie for everything. I think the basement has more storage than the Burro has square footage period.

I will be using the Jeep as a toad, however, it costs quite a bit to set it up, and I still have to disconnect the drive shaft to do it. sigh. With the extra room comes a whole new set of headaches and expenses.

This is not my "camper" it is a portable home and I anticipate it will only move between here and Oregon every 6 months.

I have been invited back here to work next year.

It needs a total interior reno, its very 90s. It's something I am going to have fun doing, however, motorhomes are NOT the focus of this forum, so I will not be posting about the updates.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Gina, just because you're moving into something else, doesn't mean you're gonna lose all that great fiberglass knowledge in your head (MANY thanks for your help last summer!)---you're like a fixture around here---so, of course we want you around!

And I can't wait to see pics of your new home, too!

Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

(just think of all the new decorating opportunities!)
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Congratulations on your new home!

Come on we need at least one picture so we can laugh at you with that decor! I googled 1990 Winnie and they are pretty nice. I'm sure you will love "all that room"... a real bedroom!

I'm sure it will soon reflect your individual style AND be MUCH more comfortable.

Edited to add......Happy Anniversary!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gina D... So it ain't "Glass" it's still "Class". and rather than a jump ship maybe it's only a "U Turn"!!! Enjoy the room with varoom.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. Here's a pic of my bro's MoHo among the "Glass".
Attached Thumbnails
MoHo_in_the_Glass.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
They make a clutch that can disconnect your driveshaft with a lever for towing.

Bill K

Quote:
I will be using the Jeep as a toad, however, it costs quite a bit to set it up, and I still have to disconnect the drive shaft to do it. sigh. With the extra room comes a whole new set of headaches and expenses
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Hey Gina,

Once a fiberglasser always a fiberglasser.

You are part of the family.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Gina, Pm if you want a few easy re-fab ideas for the god awful valances they put in Motor Homes. I did it to one of ours, I hate the fabric valance! and came up with something that kept the look, but made cleaning a breeze. Gets rid of the dust collector.

And yes, the basement storage is a god send. But I have seen people fill them to the top, open them up when they pull in and all the stuff comes tumbling out!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #17

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Camping is Camping no mater what you have.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Congrats on your purchase.
Our neighbors just completed a rehab of an early nineties 31 footer, and it is beautiful. Can't say I'm not a little jealous of the space (their bedroom has more square footage than the entire Oliver interior), and they intend to use much as you do, for extended stays for work.
Luxuriate in your new space!
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Hi Gina,

I always enjoy hearing about your camping adventures, whether you're in a cute little molded fiberglass trailer or a huge sticky! Plus your knowledge is invaluable and always appreciated. I hope you stay active here! You're always

Best wishes with your new rig, and belly rubs to your 4-legged friends!
Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Gina,
I can just see the beagles romping up and down the aisle in their new home. The kitty cat will love being able to get some space AWAY from the beagles, too, is my guess. Glad you found something that will work for you. You have been a BIG inspiration to me on this forum. If you start posting your re-decorating on a motor home forum, let us know which one so we can follow the fun and games. SOME day I'm going to make it out west, and hope to meet you and your menagerie then.
In the meantime, best wishes in the new endeavor,
Pamela S.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote