Just a little Nervous - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Just a little Nervous

My husband is tearing the Scamp apart to remodel for a front bunk. It is, or (was a deluxe model) with the nice wood cabinets all around until we decided to make it to fit our needs. I want to be able to take my little grandson camping with us so we needed the extra bunk. My husband is a "Jack of all trades" kind of guy, so I may be a little nervous now, but in the end I'm sure it will be just perfect for us.
Attached Thumbnails
192.jpg  
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I personally would buy a different trailer or have the kid sleep on the counter if he's small enough.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I just had to chuckle. Seems like there's been people who've torn out the front bunks and added cabinets, now you have the front cabinetry and want front bunks. All you folks need to get together and swap

Mary Ann, I'm sure you'll end up with a trailer that's perfect for your needs. But remember the 80/20 rule. Are you tearing the trailer apart for the 20% your grandson will be with you, and then you'll need to live with the changes the other 80% of the time and it's not convenient for your camping needs then?

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #4

Minnesota
Donna, I think we are all a little crazy! When we first started looking for a trailer, I'm the one who wanted one. I do the craft shows, and the markets. I'm all over Northern, and Central, MN doing my shows. Most shows, I set up Friday night and the shows are Sat. & Sunday. In this case, I would have to make 3 round trips to the shows, or rent a motel for 2 nights. Sometimes I have to leave my house at 5am to get there on time. I wanted a small trailer so I can have a place to stay at night because I do my shows alone and I'm not to keen on motels... to many stories about the bugs. I will have plenty of people who will want to go camping. When the bunk isn't needed, the cushion can be removed and we will still be able to use it to put buckets and other things on the platform. In the end, I think it will all work out, right now it looks terrible...lol

Mary Ann
Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
That trailer is too georgeous to tear apart and kindof rare too! Dont do it, LOL!!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Do remember that kids have a persistent habit of growing. We have one that will be 50 this summer. It seems like only yesterday that he was a little boy.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
In the end, I think it will all work out, right now it looks terrible...lol

Mary Ann
You'll be fine Mary Ann. We're all just in a little shock. If you've been reading any of the Problem Solving or Mods forums, you know what some people have to do to have a trailer that looks like what you're tearing apart. But, this is your trailer and you obviously know what you need/want.

Please help us all to understand... document the destruction/reconstruction with some photos.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Buy him a tent of his own. Click image for larger version

Name:	250008.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	33753
Your trailer is way to nice to tear apart. What if he hates camping?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I never say don't do it, but I love the looks of that trailer and would love that kitchen area. I think too you will wish you had not done it. It is one of the special ones that was made to order for someone and wow, it looks so nice the way it is. A tent or screenhouse right next to the trailer, or a kid sleeping on the floor would be what I would do. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when it becomes your own inside. I have never seen so many "don't do it" posts. I hope you don't feel negative about us as we usually don't say those things to the newbies. I think we all just love the looks of your little camper as it is now even though it only sleeps two.
Please keep us posted and let us see it as your hubby goes about its transformation.
Also, you travel around Mn. doing the craft shows. Do let us know when you are in our area. Would love to meet you. It is fun to put a face with a name on this board and get to know other campers.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Let the kid sleep under the rear bed and tell him it's a cave.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Let the kid sleep under the rear bed and tell him it's a cave.
Great idea! Once he is too big for that he will want to sleep in a little tent on his own outside! If he gets scared out there on his own he can put a mat down and sleep on the floor in the trailer until he has out grown the fear factor which will happen fast and he will want back out on his own again! Do you think I have been there done that???
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Sleeping at night is overrated. Just buy him Nintendo. He'll sleep all day.

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Mary Ann in MN...If your trailer "Looks terrible" right now, I fear my vote won't count. In the end it's yours to do with what you want and as long as there's the possibility of returning it to pre purchase condition...Go Ahead. I'm not one to buy things for our use then conform them for others. If that was the case we'd have a 40' guzzler, with 3TV's, 2A/C's, and a cartridge of 12 gauge shells!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #14

Minnesota
Thanks for the replies everyone. This remodel is not only being done because of my grandson. Once it's done, I think it's going to give us more space then what we had before, and we won't feel so boxed in.

As far as those of you who said about buying a different camper...I think we all know how hard it is to find used campers. If we could have found one with the bunks close to home, that's the way we would have went. This one was close to home, great condition in and out, lots of extras, and the price was right.

I also found out from Scamp, that the table cushions are 10" longer in the Deluxe than in the standard. That makes the bed 10" wider, and gives a little more sleeping room.

I'm a Happy Camper!
Mary Ann
Old 03-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
I'm a Happy Camper!
Mary Ann
And, that's all that really matters Mary Ann!!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Mary Ann..... I knew the 16' Deluxe model rear bed went under the stove and made the bed 10' wider but is that true also of the 13' Deluxe? Is your bed about 54" wide?
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #17

Minnesota
Chris,

The photo that I have posted is the front of the scamp. The way this one is (was) set up. You can see that the cabinets are near the stove (front) of camper. When it comes to the dinette area ( in the back), It starts at the end of the cabinets near the sink.

I didn't know, but for the price, we decided to order new covers from Scamp. They sent us the standard ones. When we got them, they were 10" to short, so the cushions in the Deluxe are longer. The bottom cushion measures 52" long. The cost of just the covers for the dinette, (no foam) was 200.00 + 14.00 shipping.

We are so pleased with the new covers. I love the brown, and the material is very nice and heavy. Not like the stuff I found at Joanns or Hancocks fabrics. Buy the time you pay for the material, and the zippers, and than still have to sew them, it's not worth it. I couldn't have asked for better, and quicker service from Trent at Scamp. Here in MN, I ordered on Monday, and they came UPS on Tuesday.

My husband is still remodeling ours, and I'm loving it. I will post photo's when he is finished.

I'm a Happy Camper
Mary Ann
Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Sounds wonderful! Can't wait to see pics!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote