just bought a BigFoot 25B25RQ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
just bought a BigFoot 25B25RQ

Put a deposit down and now going through the formalities of finalizing the purchase. We are buying from Southland RV in Norcross, GA. Be aware they are an Airstream dealer and the this is their first year of selling BigFoot TT's. Not very knowledgable about the product. Also they charge deal prep and a doc fee. I knew this going in but some people get upset when a "final" price is agreed to then the additional fees are tacked on, so I am mentioning it.

Also, during the neg on the price it was stated a number of times that they wanted a chance to finance the loan, but we were not obligated to take the loan out through them. After we went sent in $2500 deposit, the finance man is saying we have to take the loan out through him or we don't get the agreed upon price. It is all a bit frustrating and is casting a pall over the whole situation. Hopefully we will be able to get the trailer at the agreed upon price.

We went in thinking we were going to purchase an Airstream, but the BF was superior in every way. Of course, we may be biased because we own a Casita.

Trying to join the BF group in this forum but can't seem to get it done. Clicked the button but could not post this thread, so came over here instead. OK, just figured out how the "Group" thing works. We're good.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #2

Name: Adam
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I put down a deposit for 2018 25FB and was approved for loan from dealer. Afterwards, I went to Good Sam financing and they beat the rate by A LOT. Dealer had no problem with me financing from somewhere else. You have a responsibility to get the best rate and should shop around. I gave the dealer the opportunity to match Good Sam and they couldn't.
araytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #3

Name: Tony
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Put a deposit down and now going through the formalities of finalizing the purchase. We are buying from Southland RV in Norcross, GA. Be aware they are an Airstream dealer and the this is their first year of selling BigFoot TT's. Not very knowledgable about the product. Also they charge deal prep and a doc fee. I knew this going in but some people get upset when a "final" price is agreed to then the additional fees are tacked on, so I am mentioning it.

Also, during the neg on the price it was stated a number of times that they wanted a chance to finance the loan, but we were not obligated to take the loan out through them. After we went sent in $2500 deposit, the finance man is saying we have to take the loan out through him or we don't get the agreed upon price. It is all a bit frustrating and is casting a pall over the whole situation. Hopefully we will be able to get the trailer at the agreed upon price.

We went in thinking we were going to purchase an Airstream, but the BF was superior in every way. Of course, we may be biased because we own a Casita.

Trying to join the BF group in this forum but can't seem to get it done. Clicked the button but could not post this thread, so came over here instead. OK, just figured out how the "Group" thing works. We're good.

Call his bluff and tell him he's not the only BF dealer on Earth. If he thinks you're going to walk because they reneged on the agreed upon bottom line, his supervisor will help him realign his misguided behavior. If not, look for another dealer, get a quote for an identical unit and present it to the manipulative loan shark for comment. If he still gives you a hard time they probably don't need your business. The acronym for "Bait and Switch" is "BS."
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #4

Tennessee
Thanks Tony. Unfortunately The next closest dealer is in Florida (I live near Nashville, TN) and then Colorado, then Oregon. So we are rather limited as to where these can be purchased.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
There is the BF dealer in Ga and one near Ocala Fl. both seem to have higher advertised prices. (About $10 K). The Dealers out west have much more reasonable advertised prices. There is also a BF dealer near Cary NC. which specializes in truck campers I spoke to them once about a trailer they don't stock trailers but he may order one for you. I would shop around and make a road trip for a better deal. The way I look at it if on the east coast and you want to tour out west you don't have to pay for fuel dragging the trailer out west if you buy your trailer out west.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #6

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
There is the BF dealer in Ga and one near Ocala Fl. both seem to have higher advertised prices. (About $10 K). The Dealers out west have much more reasonable advertised prices. There is also a BF dealer near Cary NC. which specializes in truck campers I spoke to them once about a trailer they don't stock trailers but he may order one for you. I would shop around and make a road trip for a better deal. The way I look at it if on the east coast and you want to tour out west you don't have to pay for fuel dragging the trailer out west if you buy your trailer out west.
Eddie

Good advice! My thoughts exactly. There are alternatives. (Aren't there always?) I sold a trailer a while back that the buyers bought sight-unseen. They contacted a transport service that, after the driver dropped off a custom beer concession trailer in a city near me, picked up my old trailer and delivered it to the buyer, who happened to live only 35 miles away from them. Worked out perfectly for everybody.

As Eddie points out, the American west offers some of the best RV camping you'll likely ever have. Any savings you realize by buying closer to the factory may even pay for the trip. We picked up our Bigfoot 21 in Portland, OR and had a fabulous time bringing it back to Colorado along the OR and CA coast and back across the southwest.
BTW: We pull our BF with a Tundra 5.7L and have had no problems.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:

These things are all going to happen when going to a dealer and a dealer that is selling a brand that there is not much competition around to deal with. Owing a Casita at the present time we have been looking at moving up to a larger trailer, the Escape, Bigfoot, and Oliver are just about our only choices if staying with a fiberglass trailer, or ones we would want to buy. Escape, Oliver, and Casita have no dealers to deal with, so the price is set by them and that what you pay. Casita has no other fees as do Oliver and Escape, the price they quote you is what you pay, less state taxes and license fees. Our choice will probably be the Oliver Elite II, just a very well built trailer that fits ours needs, plus within a reasonable driving distance from Texas where we live. Now days I ask for the out the door price and if they don't want to give it to me, I walk, you will be surprised how fast your phone will ring after you leave the dealership, especially when they know you can buy and are a buyer. From what you said, you are not totally happy with the deal, you need to do what will make you happy when you drive off with your new trailer, what ever it is.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 AM   #8

Tennessee
We own a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe and I much prefer the "direct from factory+ marketing scheme. But in order to get a Big Foot I have to buy from a dealer. I can't see buying one out west, I want to set it up and stock it at home, then drive west. We did go to Apache dealership just south of Portland, OR a couple of years ago and tried to check the BF out. They did not have any to walk thru but we did see a truck camper.

The Oliver Elite II is just too small and for us not much of a step up. The BF is. We were going to buy an Airstream but the BF wins out over even that trailer.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #9

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
We ordered our 25RQ through A&M in Kitrell NC. They also serviced our Oliver. They are good folks and very fair.
Towed by 2018 Chevy High Country Duramax
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #10

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
I once made an offer on a new vehicle at a dealership. This was not to order a vehicle, it was for one that was there on the lot. The salesman ask if I would write a check for $500 before he took the offer to the manager "to show I was serious". My response was "I'll tell you what: You write a check to me for $500 to show that you are serious and if the manager doesn't take my offer I will cash your check". Then of course my next move was out of the door.

That story aside: When negotiating for a vehicle purchase with a dealer I ALWAYS ask what the "out the door" price is. If they want to price the vehicle for one dollar and charge $49,000 for the dealer prep and "document fee" plus environmental fee and fuel surcharge or whatever, that is ok as long as I like the total price. The total price is the only thing I am concerned about. I don't care how they do their book keeping.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #11

Tennessee
Bruce that is exactly what I do. However lately there is a new wrinkle. In order to get a rather low posted price the dealership will also state that financing must go through the dealership, which of course is getting some sort of kickback from the bank or they would not care about where financing was secured.

That is sort of what may be happening in my case. Although being aware of such film flam I inquired about it up front. I will know in the next couple of days if they continue to insist that we finance a loan through the dealership.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #12

Tennessee
Thanks Bruce Olive, I checked out A&M Services. They currently only have BF slide in truck campers. It is too late at any rate, we have made a downpayment. Also I originally went to the BF website and used their dealer locator, I did't see A&M come up for trailers. however, If this deal does not go through I may give them a call.

On the other hand, if this does not go through the wife will be so upset she may not want to buy anything from anyone.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:45 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks everyone for the Bigfoot dealer info on this thread.
It is relevant to us in that we are seriously considering ordering a new Bigfoot travel trailer from an east coast BF dealer.
Some good input on this thread about
-Southland RV in GA
-A&M Services in NC

Anyone have experience with BF dealer Como RV in FL?

Thanks Again!
Daniel W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:08 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Also, in case I need to go west for an acceptable deal...
...does anyone have any experience with BF dealer
"Trailer World Denver" in Denver, CO?

Thanks!
Daniel W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Bruce that is exactly what I do. However lately there is a new wrinkle. In order to get a rather low posted price the dealership will also state that financing must go through the dealership, which of course is getting some sort of kickback from the bank or they would not care about where financing was secured.

That is sort of what may be happening in my case. Although being aware of such film flam I inquired about it up front. I will know in the next couple of days if they continue to insist that we finance a loan through the dealership.
That is common at auto dealerships, especially involving rebates contingent on financing through a manufacturer affiliated finance company, like GMAC.

You are free to reject their financing and pay a higher price, offset, presumably, by the lower rate you obtain elsewhere. Online loan calculators make it easy to determine which is the better deal. You are also free to take your business to another dealer.

The lack of disclosure prior to taking your deposit is grounds for a refund of that deposit. You may have to involve a lawyer or your state’s consumer protection agency. But think carefully before you go that path. Unlike autos, there is not another dealer and another identical vehicle around the corner.

All of which you already know...

As Donna Dee might remind us, you can make more money, but you can never make more time. Unless the amount is budget-busting, your may just have to accept that the higher price is the “real” price in your market, choke it down, and move on. I feel your frustration.

One thing’s for sure: the trailer will outlast the bad taste!

Will it be in your driveway or someone else's?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #16

Tennessee
Jon in AZ, very good comment. This is why I am continuing to pursue this sale with this dealership. I just wish they had not tried to mislead me up front, and perhaps it may only be a disconnect between the sales department and the finance manager. At any rate if they com back with a interest rate at or below our current lender, we may go with the bank the dealership indentifies.

also, while we would like to have a BigFoot, we still have the Casita, which has gotten us through three camping seasons.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #17

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Jon in AZ, very good comment. This is why I am continuing to pursue this sale with this dealership. I just wish they had not tried to mislead me up front, and perhaps it may only be a disconnect between the sales department and the finance manager. At any rate if they com back with a interest rate at or below our current lender, we may go with the bank the dealership indentifies.

also, while we would like to have a BigFoot, we still have the Casita, which has gotten us through three camping seasons.
Enabling unethical business practices by supporting them despite an obvious lack of transparence assures that such practices never cease. Makes one wonder how a buyer will be treated when bringing their unit in for service.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #18

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Decades ago when I was a police officer we received a call to provide police services to a customer at the local Toyota dealership. The customer had stopped in and inquired about trading his car for a new Toyota. The salesman took the customers car keys in order to examine his trade-in. The salesman then told the customer he would not be needing those keys again, he was going to be driving away in a new Toyota. Whereupon the salesman threw the customer's keys up on the roof of the dealership and refused to get them down for him. YES, THAT IS A TRUE STORY! And no, the customer did not drive away in a new Toyota.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #19

Tennessee
Tony O
Unfortunately I don't want to drive to the west coast to buy a BF, so I have to deal with these people, snow is too deep! Como RV in Fl may have one, but, at least on line, don't appear much better. I am going to try to use my local RV Service company to do any work I cannot do myself. They only do service, do not sell RV's.

Bruce H
Good story.

I walked in to buy a new car a few years ago. First dealership, the Salesman said if I get you a good price will you buy it, I said yes if it is a good price. He came back with a price that looked reasonable, and we were going to buy it. But I said we need to step out and have a cup of coffee and discuss it. He said no, you agreed it was reasonable so you have to buy it. We talked back and forth, he got his sales manager, more talk, they continued to say we had a verbal contract, I said, look, we intend on buying this car, but my wife and I need to talk it over. Nope, they were insistent. I go a bit peeved and said take me to court. Of course we never heard from them again. Went across town and found the exact same car for about 10% lower price and bought it that day. We still have that car.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O View Post
Enabling unethical business practices by supporting them despite an obvious lack of transparence assures that such practices never cease. Makes one wonder how a buyer will be treated when bringing their unit in for service.
That’s a good point.

I will say this, though. “Unethical” is a range of behaviors from miscommunication, distortion and deception to the outright criminal- like holding a trade-in hostage. Each person has decide where on the spectrum a particular situation falls and decide whether to walk away and/or pursue legal remedies.

The last vehicle I bought was an unpleasant experience. I was able to stand my ground on the details of the transaction despite clearly protracted attempts to wear me down. Finding the exact same vehicle was unlikely because I’d been searching for a long time. I walked out with the vehicle and ended my relationship with that dealership. We do our service elsewhere.

I once had to threaten to call the police to get my old vehicle back but didn’t have to make the call. Crossed that dealer off the list.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot