Just bought an Ipad1 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Just bought an Ipad1

I have been looking for a replacement for my aging and somewhat quirky xo (one lap top one child). When Apple announced the new IPad 2 and reduced the price of the original, I decided to "jump in it". For an Internet appliance, in particular on the road, it seems hard to beat. It is well thought out and so far everything works. Because there is no hard drive, it takes literally seconds from off to on line (assuming wifi is available) and once on line it is quite fast. The battery life is very good and should be easy to recharge on the road. The only issues so far are 1)you need access to a computer with a current version of ITunes to activate and 2) to gain access to the much touted applications requires you register a *credit card with ITunes or purchase a gift card. After reading the horror stories of people dealing with credit cards and ITunes, I will probably go the gift card route. I thought I'd pass it along as the price ($400) is good until the current stock is gone. The Ipad2 ($500 and up) comes out next Friday. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Congrats ad welcome to the fold.
You are going to like it I am sure!

I can do you 1 better too.
They are in the Apple Refurb Store for $349.00 now and I have never seen one from there that did not look brand new.
I am an Apple dealer for the iPad and I get them through the Refurb Store,the saving is just too great.

Once you get into it more you may wonder why you waited so long,I take one everywhere......almost.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I got one soon after the 3G models came out, and still love it. It gets better 3G reception than my AT&T phone, go figure. You'll love it. By the way, itunes card... go take your change to Coinstar, get an itunes card, and there is a deal THAT ENDS TONIGHT!! for an extra mailed-to-you $10 gift card if you redeem coins for a $40 itunes card. Which may be all you will ever need. Or more...

Special Offers

This is also the time to get your iPad one accessories.. if you want the iPad to function like a laptop here is a great one, the Zaggmate keyboard case. And M-edge has their covers clearanced; I love the Latitude cover (though it won't work with the Zaggmate.) It zips closed and also has a zippered pocket so is great for taking the iPad along anywhere.

No affiliation with the above, just a happy customer.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I got one soon after the 3G models came out, and still love it. It gets better 3G reception than my AT&T phone, go figure. You'll love it. By the way, itunes card... go take your change to Coinstar, get an itunes card, and there is a deal THAT ENDS TONIGHT!! for an extra mailed-to-you $10 gift card if you redeem coins for a $40 itunes card. Which may be all you will ever need. Or more...

Special Offers

This is also the time to get your iPad one accessories.. if you want the iPad to function like a laptop here is a great one, the Zaggmate keyboard case. And M-edge has their covers clearanced; I love the Latitude cover (though it won't work with the Zaggmate.) It zips closed and also has a zippered pocket so is great for taking the iPad along anywhere.

No affiliation with the above, just a happy customer.

All ya need to download applications is, yes, and iTunes account with a credit card. The you can access the Apps Store right on the iPad (with a WiFi connection) ---no computer needed--- the Apps download right to the iPad.

I've had one since they came out and have downloaded many Apps. It's a great device that I think could be enjoyed by many people, if they would just give it a try.

I have a word processer and spreadsheet App, and you can print directly to a large number of HP printers, across a WiFi network.

You can still use Skype (with the free App from the App Store) on the original unit. you just have no video. But it's still free phone call to any computer in the world thar also downloads the free Skype App.

I love mine. Have no plans to get a version 2.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
I have a word processer and spreadsheet App, and you can print directly to a large number of HP printers, across a WiFi network.
Did you get a printer this works with? I'm in the market for one but haven't bought one yet.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Did you get a printer this works with? I'm in the market for one but haven't bought one yet.
I have an "HP D110a" that I purchased at Staples for $69.00.
It can be used on your wireless home network.

The "Air Print" feature of iPad will print directly to the printer over the home WiFi. (If your iPad doesn't have the latest Ver. 4.2 OS download, you'll need to sync it with iTunes on your computer and get the free upgrade).

This printer has another print feature, if you take the time to set it up. (Free from HP).
It's called "Eprint". Once you printer is setup, there are instructions with it to setup Eprint.
HP will assign an Email address to your D110a printer, and you can send emails to the printer from anywhere. It strips off the email header and footer info and prints the text body of the Email.

I have this printer working wirelessly with my iPad, iPod Touch, Macbook and Windows PC. Plus, I can send anything to it's Email address from anywhere, and the print will be waiting for me when I get home.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #7

Registry
Thanks, that sounds great, just what I need.