Just ordered a Strongback Elite camp chair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Just ordered a Strongback Elite camp chair

As we've been going around buying stuff for our soon to be here camper (this weekend we hope!!!), one thing that I've struggled with is finding a good camp chair.

Most of the camp chairs are either very cheap (and uncomfortable) or very expensive. And if I was going to buy something expensive, I wanted to try it out first.

Well good luck finding a store that carries a large selection of chairs that you can try out (at least around here).

In all of my research, I kept running across rave reviews for the Strongback Elite chair. But alas, no stores around here stock them. And I didn't want to spend $100 without sitting in it first.

Well I just stumbled across what seems like a good deal at LL Bean. They have them for $79.99 (versus regular price of $99.99). At that price, they only offer the black and grey ones. I really wanted one of the Lime Green ones, because back in the early 70's I had a lime green leisure suit, and I guess I don't have to tell you that I looked pretty great in it. But to save $20 I guess I can compromise.

Free shipping, and no sales tax since they don't have a brick and mortar presence in our state.

I'm hoping that I will love it, and that Teresa will also and we can get her one too. But if not, I'll just ship it back.

I'll come back to this post when it arrives in about a week and let you know our thoughts.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #2

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
That looks like the type of chair my husband would love! Looking forward to your review!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #3

Tennessee
Some of the rave reviews that I read were on here, as well as the Escape forum. Will let you know what we think.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
It was a little hard to focus on the chair after the visual image of the lime green leisure suit but they look good.
Looking forward to your thoughts once it arrives.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
I really like the look of that chair because it gives you a more "natural" sitting posture. Most camp chairs cant you forward and it's impossible to sit in them for any length of time. This is what I use. It's very comfortable.
Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1471983084.421257.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  12.5 KB
Old 08-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #6

Tennessee
Fortunately for you, pictures did not survive a later house fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
It was a little hard to focus on the chair after the visual image of the lime green leisure suit but they look good.
Looking forward to your thoughts once it arrives.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I love my strongback chair. Firm lumbar support is really comfortable. I too used LL Bean. Hurt to write the check, but I am very satisfied. Glad to have the Prevost of chairs while Scamping.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have Strongback chairs and we loved them!
I'm impressed at how expensive they got!
Ours are not Elites, they're an older, more basic model. Exactly like this one here:

We got them for $25 at Walmart about 5 years ago (regular price).
I'm usually very uncomfortable in that kind of folding chair. NOT in the Strongback.
I've had people sit in my chair and notice right away how the lumbar support is different, and comfortable. I think you will love them.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
I have had mine for about 5 years. We go to several multi-day bluegrass festivals and I can sit in this chair all day with no discomfort. I bought one for my wife, but her feet don't reach the ground so she has to slouch a bit and it is not as comfortable for her.
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:46 AM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I have two of them. Most comfortable chairs of that type that I've ever sat in. Unfortunately the little connectors that hold things together keep breaking. They don't break soon but they do break. I've replaced some of them with bolts from hardware stores and the factory has sent me free replacements. My son also has two of them and one of the rods broke. I suggested that he take a picture and send it to the factory. I don't know what the expected life of these chairs is but I paid $80 each so I've had them a while. Still very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick & Joanne View Post
I have had mine for about 5 years. We go to several multi-day bluegrass festivals and I can sit in this chair all day with no discomfort. I bought one for my wife, but her feet don't reach the ground so she has to slouch a bit and it is not as comfortable for her.
Strongback offers two models, the Elite and the Core. The Core is a smaller chair that is also shorter and less expensive. We love the Strongback Core as we are height challenged.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #12

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
We were planning on getting some of the Strongback Elite's but started running across poor reviews regarding quality issues. It seemed that they were comfortable but plagued by the same issues other chairs of this style suffer.

I have no personal experience with Strongback chairs and would be willing to spend the money for good lumbar support but not if they won't hold up better than the less expensive versions.

I really hope they hold up well for you as I would like to get one myself.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #13

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Talking strongback chair

Gosh Greg. I wish that I would have know you in the 70's. we could have hung out together in our leisure suits. Mine was a bright rust orange with big contrasting white stitching. I gave it to a thrift store here in Pikeville Tn. I pray that I never see anyone wearing it. By the way, the strongback chair is great.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #14

Tennessee
Ha...don't let anyone ever tell you that two good ole boys from Tennessee can't be styling

And that is good to know about the chair, can't wait to get it and try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle of flight View Post
Gosh Greg. I wish that I would have know you in the 70's. we could have hung out together in our leisure suits. Mine was a bright rust orange with big contrasting white stitching. I gave it to a thrift store here in Pikeville Tn. I pray that I never see anyone wearing it. By the way, the strongback chair is great.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #15

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Paul had a lovely mint green leisure suit--I shudder when I think of all the places he wore it, weddings, office meetings...Oh, man!

I believe it also had contrasting stitching. AND there were some lovely, shiny, polyester print shirts that picked up the lovely mint green and added every other color in the crayon box to go with. Don't know what pattern it was, abstract, maybe?

Not sure about the lumbar support; our camp chairs cut into the backs of my thighs after a while--maybe I'm too height challenged for them. will give that some thought. Waiting for your review of these Strongbacks. Good camp chairs seem fairly important...
Old 08-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #16

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
[QUOTE=GregandTeresa;605517]Ha...don't let anyone ever tell you that two good ole boys from Tennessee can't be styling

And that is good to know about the chair, can't wait to get it and try it out.[/

I had a muted green leisure suit - my favorite. Northern Norwegian Bachelor Farmers are a little bit more reserved, eh?
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #17

Tennessee
I definitely had a few of those shirts myself. They were considered haute couture at the time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Paul had a lovely mint green leisure suit--I shudder when I think of all the places he wore it, weddings, office meetings...Oh, man!

I believe it also had contrasting stitching. AND there were some lovely, shiny, polyester print shirts that picked up the lovely mint green and added every other color in the crayon box to go with. Don't know what pattern it was, abstract, maybe?

Not sure about the lumbar support; our camp chairs cut into the backs of my thighs after a while--maybe I'm too height challenged for them. will give that some thought. Waiting for your review of these Strongbacks. Good camp chairs seem fairly important...
Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #18

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Those shirts--oh, yes, if you had the suit, you HAD to have the shirts to go with! I thought it was all very super back then, too...But being in our 20s did make us look a lot cooler than otherwise.

Imagine wearing one of those somewhere today, the suit set. Sometimes those suits even had matching vests. Not to mention the white shoes and belt that were often worn with them.

I, too, like to match accessories to the trailer; right now my folding chair is bright pink; it's the only pink thing we have for Peanut, and is fairly uncomfortable. Better than a rock, or the ground, but if we can find a better chair it might be worth the cost. Gray would work.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #19

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick & Joanne View Post
Hey Dick & Joanne! My hubby and I are really into the bluegrass too. We just stumbled across a bluegrass festival in Payson Arizone. It's the 24th & 25 of June. We will be staying at Point of Rocks campground next year.
Hope to see you there

Cathy & Zac
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #20

Tennessee
UPS delivered our chair yesterday. I only had a couple of minutes to actually sit in it last night, so more "research" is going to be needed before I pass final judgement.

I will say that my initial feeling was that it was not comfortable. But I think that is because I'm not really used to sitting with proper posture and ergonomics, and this chair kind of forces you to sit that way.

We spent a night camping this past weekend, and the cheap chair that I lounged in really did hurt my back after a while. So I'm hopeful that as I try this chair out and get used to sitting properly I will like it.

I'll come back with more feedback later.