Just picked up some new upholstery fabric - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Just picked up some new upholstery fabric

I really didn't care for the colour of the upholstery Fabric in my ParkLiner... just wasn't "me".

So I took a ride over to the huge fabric warehouse near me and picked up more then enough to cover my cushions. (I also need to make 3 new cushions, didn't get one for the side dinette table, a backrest cushion, and Im planning on makeing a new table top for the large dinette that will allow a leaf to make it full sized and when closed will be about 24" long... so a 3rd backrest cushion that when I drop the table down and want room to play my mountain dulcimer/have friends over playing guitar etc)

deryk
Attached Thumbnails
NewUpholstery1.jpg   NewUpholstery2.jpg  

deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I like it! It'll hide dirt and stains too. Good if you have pets or messy people accompanying you on camping trips.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Nice, big improvement over the standard pattern..IMHO. Is it indoor/outdoor? Sunbrella?
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Deryk, who is doing the actual sewing?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Very Pretty!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you deryk I love it when folks individualize their trailers. Nice choices
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Folks!

I wish it was sunbrella for what I paid for it $4 a yard lol. There was 20 yards on the bolt, but for the price I wasn't gonna complain. And I will be the one sewing it... Living on a sailboat, I started doing my own sailcovers and bags because it as much much cheaper. My sailrite walking foot machine has already paid itself off lol. Im not perfect but it usually comes out looking pretty good.

I liked the pattern because the blue tye-dye that Harry chose was just too washed out looking for me and it would show stains. I have my eye on an awning that will have some green in it so the colours should look all good together...Im hopeing lol.

deryk
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I am with you on the colors in the Parkliner. Not my taste in the ones I have seen so far. I like the camper design though.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #9

New Jersey
Registry
heh, yeah when I was contemplating buying a brand new scamp 13 front bath I wanted to order it with just the foam, no cushion covers cause I didn't care for the green or blue.

I like the idea of customizing it as much as I can within reason. They are mostly just white fiberglass on the inside and ratfur. The ParkLiner does add some beech wood to warm it up a little... and Im thinkin over time I might cover the walls in wainscotting all varnished up nice.

But for starters its uholstery and curtains and some knick-knacks. On my boat I had a shelf out of the way with some funky stuff like a little statue of David, a gargoyle candle holder, and a few other things and used industrial velcro and they never moved... but looked nice . Im thinking a hanging oil lantern over the side dinette... but the battery operated candles are pretty good, wouldn't mind a few pillars placed around... give the illusion of candles flickering with no chance of burning the trailer down lol

deryk
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I like your fabric choice, Derek. The neutral colors in campers don't alway appeal to new buyers, but I see the need to keep manufacturing costs down by limiting the choices. But I'd be another owner that would be chaning the fabric colors as soon as I purchased!
And to anyone thinking of doing it themselves, it is not terribly difficult, You can even skip the zippers by using a 'foldover and pin/snap' typ of closure. Changing the fabric is the fastest way to give your camper a whole new vibe.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #11

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Pam!

Yeah I usually avoid zippers and just whip stitch them closed. I guess the zippers are less likely to rust then on a boat lol but trying to keep life easier lol

deryk
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I did zippers on our fabric wasn't too difficult and makes it real easy putting foam in.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I left my original cushion fabric in place and made fitted tops and sides to go over them. I let the fabric on the sides extend 8" below the bottom of the cushions. Then I just folded the sides under to the bottom and pinned them in place onto the cushion fabric. SO easy and fast. I'm watching to see if the pins seem to be getting rusty and if they do, I"ll take them off and whip stitch the covers on.
I'm looking forward to the photos of your new cushions, Deryk, I'll bet they add a whole new look to your camper!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
One down... 100 to go lol.

Im hopeing in 3 weekends to be down at my friends to spend the night in my ParkLiner... hopefully the cushions will be done and then I can take some measurements for drapes lol. I ordered and now can't find the lightweight needles for my Industrial... might have to order more or make heavy light sheilding drapes lol... maybe add a 2nd rod..sheers and drapes?

deryk
Attached Thumbnails
NewUpholstery3.jpg   NewUpholsterySigh.jpg  

Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #15

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Love the fabric! Let me know how much you end up using. Are you doing the drapes in the same fabric?
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Let me know if and how you add a second rod. I wanted a second rod but found I could not without drilling into the body, something I was unwilling to do. I wish Scamp would offer double rods as an option when you order a new trailer. As a "work-around" I simply place a dowel on top of the rod support or tucked in the triangle formed in each rod support. By doing so I have a layered look to my curtains.

I'm envious that you have a heavyweight sewing machine. Mine is a Singer Featherweight which is great for light to medium weight fabrics but not very good with heavyweight fabrics.

Keep us posted on your new decor.

Happy Camping!
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Let me know if and how you add a second rod. I wanted a second rod but found I could not without drilling into the body, something I was unwilling to do. Gilda
Gilda, think outside the box! Maybe this picture will give you inspiration.
Attached Thumbnails
BarOnWindowForCurtains.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #18

New Jersey
Registry
I wish I could take a picture of it, but because ParkLiner has the cabinets along the top all the way around, they riveted a rodholder to the overhead cabinet. Im just gonna have to add another holder for a 2nd rod... maybe get the fancier rods with the finials on the end of them or something.

deryk
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Donna,
Ooooh. I like your "out of the box thinking! Thanks for the photo.
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Hi Donna,
Ooooh. I like your "out of the box thinking! Thanks for the photo.
Gilda
Glad it helped, then add something like this and you're good to go with NO holes through the shell!
Attached Images

Tags
parkliner