Just saying hello and thanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr (Renovated)
Hi everyone,

I am both a new owner and a new member, having purchased a fabulous 1972 Compact Jr. which I towed 165 miles home using my 2003 Toyota Matrix. Averaged about 18 mpg, going up some looong hills and pleased to say that we really managed to keep up with the flow of traffic in the right lane, going about 50 mph most of the time.

I am looking forward to taking her on our first weekend outing this weekend to a secluded little spot I know of along a river. Propane powered so no need for hook ups. Have solar powered lanterns with hand crank back up and a Porta potty so I feel set.

I am a single woman and wonder if there are other single women out there who venture solo. What have been your experiences?

I also will appreciate hearing any advice or tips from those of you who have been out there for awhile and know what's what. I really enjoy reading these posts and I've already learned a lot from everyone. Thanks so much!

I'll post photos soon but I want to do a bit touch up to the exterior first. The interior is fully restored and lovely-- just waiting for some personal energy from me to make it home on the road.

Happy trails,
nyla

Nyla M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome Nyla---I hope you enjoy this forum

Just a note of caution---If you are a single women and will be camping alone don't advertise where you will be camping. Lots of wirdos read these forums.
Take Care
Chester
Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #3

Thank you for the welcome and the caution. I don't think I would share my location online and it's just sad in a way that weirdos would troll the posts. But a good reminder.

Here's what is probably a stupid question: can you trust and feel safe using those small one tank propane heaters inside? I was told they are not a problem as long as the top is up but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

I'm not expecting to need a heater for months, but I do wonder.

thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Not sure of the correct answer about the propane heater, but I would think it's not the safest route.

Any way I wanted to say Welcome, and Congrats! Post pic's soon, we don't care what needs to be done, we just like to see it. Enjoy your campout. As far as a women alone camping many do, I do in a way (loooooooooog story) even though my Dh is with me. If there is anything you have questions on camping as a single, post it there will be lot's of suggestions. Again, Welcome!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Welcome Nyla! Enjoy your new trailer and the adventures you'll have with it!

Using an unvented propane heater is a big NO! My husband Mike is a propane tech and it drives him crazy that people even consider those in houses and cabins, let alone a small trailer! There are better ways. If you plan to be plugged in we recently (at the suggestion of someone on the forum) found a small oil-filled radiator type is just great and the quietest because there is no fan. We have a built-in vented propane heater with electric fan for when we are on battery power, but we find in cold weather we look for hook-ups as we use more electricity just being in and using the lights more. There are other smaller electric heaters you might perfer.

If you plan to do a lot of camping without hook-ups in cold weather it is safer & worth looking into having a vented heater installed in your trailer. There are others on the forum with Compact Jrs who could make recommendations of what would work for you.

But for now.......happy traveling in summer weather (well at least today it is summer weather! You are in Portland, you know how elusive sun has been for us northwesterners this year!)

Penney

PS There are no stupid questions! And if there are - we've all asked our share!

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Welcome Nyla! Enjoy your new trailer and the adventures you'll have with it!

Using an unvented propane heater is a big NO! My husband Mike is a propane tech and it drives him crazy that people even consider those in houses and cabins, let alone a small trailer! There are better ways. If you plan to be plugged in we recently (at the suggestion of someone on the forum) found a small oil-filled radiator type is just great and the quietest because there is no fan. We have a built-in vented propane heater with electric fan for when we are on battery power, but we find in cold weather we look for hook-ups as we use more electricity just being in a using the lights more. There are other smaller electric heaters you might perfer.

If you plan to do a lot of camping without hook-ups in cold weather it is worth looking into having a vented heater installed in your trailer. There are others on the forum with Compact Jrs who could make recommendations of what would work for you.

But for now.......happy traveling in summer weather (well at least today it is summer weather! You are in Portland, you know how elusive sun has been for us northwesterners this year!)

Penney
thanks for confirming my thinking and for the ideas. My down comforter and sleeping bag, plus a good rug on the floor are likely to be enough for awhile. I was thinking of hanging a nice tibetan rug on the wall, kind of insulation that is nice to look at, too.;-)

Looking forward to meeting you all as time goes by.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Nyla M... and WELCOME!!! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
Nothing beats a good properly installed furnace, a good electric heater, and a down filled comforter or all of the above. A piece of carpet cut to fit the floor area is also warmer under foot.
Any kind of flame heat either a space heater or cook top must be used with plenty of ventilation. In our Boler just heating a kettle of water for dishes warmed up the trailer on a cool morning.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hi Nyla
Good to hear you are trying this solo thing; it can be a hoot. If you are going to be mostly off the grid, look into installing a Wave catalytic heater (if you can find a place to mount it). With an electric hookup, those small ceramic heaters are hard to beat.
Sebastian

https://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #9

Thank, everyone. This is a great forum. The Wave sounds like a good idea, Sebastian. I am going to look into them, though your comment about finding a place to mount it suggests some challenges.

I discovered the term "boondocking" yesterday, which made me laugh. I guess I'm kind of a boondocking person, though I will surely look into joining one of the gatherings I've been reading about. Seems like it will be fun to meet others into this tiny trailer lifestyle.

And it was reassuring to hear the heating the water for my tea in the morning is likely to raise the temperature inside. Another advantage of small is beautiful.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Camping alone, concerned about security and temperature makes me think of Dogs.
Be mindful of the origin of "Three Dog Night".
http://www.metaphordogs.org/Dogs/entries/threedog.html

But be forwarned, once you let a dog sleep in bed with you, it can be rather difficult to keep them out.
We also encounter hot August nights.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote