Just want to know: pros/cons Casita 17 FD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #1

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
Just want to know: pros/cons Casita 17 FD

I am seriously thinking about buying a new Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe. I don't have any experience with this type of trailer. Please let me know the pros and cons with this trailer. Good or bad I want to know. Thank You
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Casita has a fine reputation. The trailers are good quality and durable. Not much to tell as far as negatives... I personally don't care for the carpeted inner walls, and the aisle (between the cabinets) is a bit more narrow than Scamp's. Just little personal nitpicks.

I'm sure some Casita owners will chime in soon and give you more details about their experiences.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #3

California
Thanks Mike from OK
Old 04-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
The narrow hall between cabinets was made our neighbour change to a Escape 19.
They're happy campers now!!
I personally have never been in a Casita
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Two things. First, Casitas are fairly heavy for their size, especially on tongue weight. See the thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-43010-22.html (post #297 has a downloadable spreadsheet). The average weight of a loaded-for-travel Casita 17'er is 3300 pounds with a 425 pound tongue weight.

For a little more $$, you could have an Escape 17B, which is lighter and roomier: http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/the-17-foot-escape/ . The average loaded weight of an Escape 17B is 2975 pounds with a 350 pound tongue weight. A favorable exchange rate makes them a really good deal right now. You'd have to be prepared to wait, though, as Escape has a long production backlog.

Second, if you do go with the Casita 17FD, the swivel chairs are nice, but you give up storage and the possibility of an extra bed. An alternative is a Spirit model with a fairly simple mod I saw recently: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...irs-68232.html

Whatever you decide, fiberglass is a good investment compared to a conventional wood-framed trailer. They don't have seams to develop leaks, they have a more aerodynamic towing profile, they have much better resale value should your needs change, and they last forever!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:54 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
I am seriously thinking about buying a new Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe. I don't have any experience with this type of trailer. Please let me know the pros and cons with this trailer. Good or bad I want to know. Thank You
Hi Arnold, think your best bet would be to attend a FG rally so you can get to see a number of different makes, layouts and sizes and talk to the owners. No one make, size or layout is "the best", all depends on your needs. I have a 17' Casita SD and as was stated the TW is heavy over the 16' models and other makes. All depends on your TV.
But to answer your question, I really have no real negatives for a Casita. After downsizing from large RV's the biggest thing for me is not having the storage space for all the things I used to carry....just cuz. So far it hasn't been a problem. Just about got the "dance" figured out to pass in the narrow isle though . BTW, the only difference between the LD and SD is the SD as the side dinette/extra single bed option and storage that you don't have with the LD. I think what you may find is you really don't spend a lot of time inside other than sleeping no matter which make you decide on. Good luck in your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #7

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
We purchased a new Casita LD17 last year after much research and for the money and overall quality we chose the Casita. we felt it was the best value.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #8

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Ditto what Larry said. We picked up our new 17' Spirit Deluxe last April and have been very happy with it. There are a few minor modifications to make but overall they are a very well built and designed trailer.

The Escape's are very nice as well but cost significantly more. IIRC the a new Casita ran about $18 large and the Escape around $24. Both are great travel trailers.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #9

California
Thank you for all the replies so far. I am reading them over and taking them all into consideration.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
Call Casita. They have a referral service and they will try to contact an owner near you who will gladly show you their unit.
Tom Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
The Escape's are very nice as well but cost significantly more. IIRC the a new Casita ran about $18 large and the Escape around $24. Both are great travel trailers.
Suggest you do the numbers again, comparing with similar options and then factor in the value of the Canadian dollar against the US dollar, if you didn't already do that.
Prices on the Escape site are in Canadian dollars, which are currently worth about 80 cents U.S.

17B is $22,500 CAN. on Escape site, which converts to $17,900 US.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Suggest you do the numbers again, comparing with similar options and then factor in the value of the Canadian dollar against the US dollar, if you didn't already do that.
Prices on the Escape site are in Canadian dollars, which are currently worth about 80 cents U.S.

Also, BC is closer than TX and makes for a nice road trip from CA! I would certainly investigate both before deciding, and try to get a first-hand look. I believe both companies keep files of owners willing to demo their trailers to prospective buyers. Failing that, post a request here, and you may be able to locate a nearby forum member willing to let you have a look.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #13

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

Wow, what happened to the Canadian currency value? Last year at this time it was about 91 cents U.S.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #14

Minnesota
I did the numbers again and for a 17B equipped with the same options as the Casita it came to $24,565 Canadian. The AC alone is an $875 upgrade which is standard on the Casita. As well as the larger fridge, dual propane tank, exterior outlet, opening window in the bathroom, TV ready and foot flush toilet.

The exchange rate is variable but in general I would say the Escape runs an additional 20% more then a Casita comparably equipped. I'm not saying it's not worth it, and if you live in the western U.S. I would certainly consider one, but the cost difference is significant.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:24 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Where in California

Where in California Arnold lives could also be a factor.

San Diego is a long way from Redding and so Redding is much closer to Chiliwack.* Delivery, I understand is about $1.50 per mile. That can add thousands to your cost.

*-It turns out about 664 miles which converts into $996.

One thing I noticed about Casitas is a 16-17' Casita seems smaller inside than our 13'. Of course they have bathrooms...

No matter which one you choose, you can adapt to that rig's idosyncracies.

Good luck in your hunt and welcome to FGRV!!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We bought our 17 ft Casita in March of 2013 . When we were looking there was ,what I consider a considerable price difference with Escape. There are several items that are standard on the Casita but options on the Escape IE: A/C , operating bath window, dual fuel water heater ETC. . Being an electrician ,I think Casita does a better job with wiring the trailer than Escape. We have traveled over 15,000 miles with our Casita in the 2 years of ownership and it works for us.
That being said we are seriously looking at an Escape 21 ,no particular reason except 2 ft itis or 4 ft itis !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A casita con would be the wood floor is bath-tubbed in with no place for any water intrusion to go. You can search the casita forums for soft or spongy floor keywords to read more. Last I looked at casita, they had no stated r value on the rat fur.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote