Just what is a geezer pass and how do I get one? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Member
 
kbingel's Avatar
 
Name: Karen
Trailer: 2008 17' Oliver Elite
Michigan
Posts: 71
Registry
Talking good info

Well, a simple question can get quite a lot of answers. Thanks for all the insights. I guess we will live and learn along the way. We are planning to get the senior pass and we like staying in national state and local campgrounds when possible because we generally find them to be nice and have larger sites. But we haven't done much camping outside of the midwest and Canada so our experiences are limited.

How many of you also get the RV half price membership? Would it be worth it if you mostly try and stay in the federal/state campgrounds? Probably a case by case situation....I will do more checking. We ARE on a budget, since we have retired, our income is what it is....so discounts, from clubs, seniors, or what have you, will come in handy.

Thanks again, Karen
__________________

__________________
2008 17' Oliver legacy
kbingel is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
There are too many seniors with money and it's starting to cost companies too much.
This must be a problem unique to the northern areas. Here in the lower provinces it is oft quoted that fewer that 30% of retirees have enough money to maintain their previous life style after retiring. I do OK because I gave up eating and I carry a midnight auto supply gas can for free refills.
__________________

__________________
Bob Miller is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
How many of you also get the RV half price membership? Would it be worth it if you mostly try and stay in the federal/state campgrounds? Probably a case by case situation....I will do more checking. We ARE on a budget, since we have retired, our income is what it is....so discounts, from clubs, seniors, or what have you, will come in handy.

Thanks again, Karen
What's the "RV half price membership" you mentioned.

Considering that the $10 for the Senior pass is less than a single days entry to one park, and it's a lifetime pass, that's a no-brainer.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote: it is oft quoted that fewer that 30% of retirees have enough money to maintain their previous life style
The key part of that sentence is "maintain previous life style". Can't argue with that, nor would I expect to maintain...
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now  
Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #19
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
Well, a simple question can get quite a lot of answers. Thanks for all the insights. I guess we will live and learn along the way. We are planning to get the senior pass and we like staying in national state and local campgrounds when possible because we generally find them to be nice and have larger sites. But we haven't done much camping outside of the midwest and Canada so our experiences are limited.

How many of you also get the RV half price membership? Would it be worth it if you mostly try and stay in the federal/state campgrounds? Probably a case by case situation....I will do more checking. We ARE on a budget, since we have retired, our income is what it is....so discounts, from clubs, seniors, or what have you, will come in handy.

Thanks again, Karen

We stay in public campgrounds almost exclusively. A while back I discovered an iPad app called Camp Where which identifies federal, state, and local campgrounds. I started a thread about it and others shared what they use. You might find the information there useful. Raz


Finding Public Campgrounds
__________________
Raz is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #20
Member
 
kbingel's Avatar
 
Name: Karen
Trailer: 2008 17' Oliver Elite
Michigan
Posts: 71
Registry
There are a few camping RV memberships that i believe are for private RV parks only. I imagine if one travels a lot and cant find a public campground, there may be times when one uses them. Therefore. The annual membership. Since there are a few different ones, thought I'd ask about them.

Thanks for the link Roz. You have been such a great help here on these boards. I appreciate it.

Karen.
__________________
2008 17' Oliver legacy
kbingel is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #21
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
__________________
Raz is offline  
Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #22
Member
 
kbingel's Avatar
 
Name: Karen
Trailer: 2008 17' Oliver Elite
Michigan
Posts: 71
Registry
Sorry...I meant...RAZ..
__________________
2008 17' Oliver legacy
kbingel is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Name: Sandi
Trailer: 1978 Boler 17 foot
Alberta
Posts: 1
Sure wish the American one was offered for higher price to Canadians, sounds like a excellent perk for seniors to encourage travel. Does anyone know if Canada offers a senior pass?
__________________
Sandi J is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi J View Post
Sure wish the American one was offered for higher price to Canadians, sounds like a excellent perk for seniors to encourage travel. Does anyone know if Canada offers a senior pass?
Parks Canada does sell a yearly pass with a discount to seniors but it does not include camping fees.

At least some of the Provinces offering a discount on camping fees to seniors - each province is different and the discount is not always for the whole year. For example in BC Seniors camp for half price from Labour Day through to June 14th of the following year.
Carol H is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Working hard and paying my own bills is a duty for which I expect no "reward", nor do I anticipate a time when that responsibility will pass to others.

And certainly, my responsibility to provide for the next generation precludes the expectation that I'll make them pay more just so I can pay less; which is what "senior discounts" amount to.
.

I can't say that I feel your guilt, or agree with your conclusion on which it is based, but.....

Remember, Seniors leave a smaller footprint and average only about 1.5 persons per site, they stay longer and at off times , like off season and weekdays. Thereby filling the coffers and actually lowering the cost for the younger folks and leaving the parks for them at peak times.
Hopefully these rationalizations can assuage your conscience and allow you to accept this small token of appreciation and respect.

If not, I suggest you accept the discount, then donate the balance to your church or favorite charity.
__________________
floyd is offline  
Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #26
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
.

I can't say that I feel your guilt, or agree with your conclusion on which it is based, but.....

Remember, Seniors leave a smaller footprint and average only about 1.5 persons per site, they stay longer and at off times , like off season and weekdays. Thereby filling the coffers and actually lowering the cost for the younger folks and leaving the parks for them at peak times.
Hopefully these rationalizations can assuage your conscience and allow you to accept this small token of appreciation and respect.

If not, I suggest you accept the discount, then donate the balance to your church or favorite charity.

Well said, Floyd. Many businesses realize this and offer senior discounts because making a reduced profit is better than making NO Profit. I seriously doubt any private or public enterprise is losing money offering senior discounts, military discounts, new mother discounts, or "greatly reduced sale prices."


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
CPW is offline  
Old 11-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Al & Cindy K's Avatar
 
Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Posts: 403
Good response Floyd, and no guilt here either.
__________________
Al & Cindy K is offline  
Old 11-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
I am a Geezer I have a Geezer pass . I have used it on a few occasions . I do not feel any guilt in owning or using my Geezer pass .
__________________

__________________
steve dunham is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Get Ready, Get Set" Mode Cathy P. General Chat 16 05-02-2013 10:59 AM
Senior Pass and Mt Rushmore Darwin Maring General Chat 5 07-10-2011 05:34 PM
Breakaway switch - do I need one? can I even get one? Shelley Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 1 06-30-2010 05:03 PM
PASS WORD RECOVERY Larry Harmon Forum Admin, News & Announcements 2 02-28-2009 08:29 AM
One real and one what if question??? Linda&Dale Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 11 11-19-2006 11:45 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.