Just what is a geezer pass and how do I get one? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #15

Name: Karen
Trailer: 2008 17' Oliver Elite
Michigan
Registry
Talking good info

Well, a simple question can get quite a lot of answers. Thanks for all the insights. I guess we will live and learn along the way. We are planning to get the senior pass and we like staying in national state and local campgrounds when possible because we generally find them to be nice and have larger sites. But we haven't done much camping outside of the midwest and Canada so our experiences are limited.

How many of you also get the RV half price membership? Would it be worth it if you mostly try and stay in the federal/state campgrounds? Probably a case by case situation....I will do more checking. We ARE on a budget, since we have retired, our income is what it is....so discounts, from clubs, seniors, or what have you, will come in handy.

Thanks again, Karen

Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
There are too many seniors with money and it's starting to cost companies too much.
This must be a problem unique to the northern areas. Here in the lower provinces it is oft quoted that fewer that 30% of retirees have enough money to maintain their previous life style after retiring. I do OK because I gave up eating and I carry a midnight auto supply gas can for free refills.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
How many of you also get the RV half price membership? Would it be worth it if you mostly try and stay in the federal/state campgrounds? Probably a case by case situation....I will do more checking. We ARE on a budget, since we have retired, our income is what it is....so discounts, from clubs, seniors, or what have you, will come in handy.

Thanks again, Karen
What's the "RV half price membership" you mentioned.

Considering that the $10 for the Senior pass is less than a single days entry to one park, and it's a lifetime pass, that's a no-brainer.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #18

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote: it is oft quoted that fewer that 30% of retirees have enough money to maintain their previous life style
The key part of that sentence is "maintain previous life style". Can't argue with that, nor would I expect to maintain...
Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #19
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
Well, a simple question can get quite a lot of answers. Thanks for all the insights. I guess we will live and learn along the way. We are planning to get the senior pass and we like staying in national state and local campgrounds when possible because we generally find them to be nice and have larger sites. But we haven't done much camping outside of the midwest and Canada so our experiences are limited.

Thanks again, Karen

We stay in public campgrounds almost exclusively. A while back I discovered an iPad app called Camp Where which identifies federal, state, and local campgrounds. I started a thread about it and others shared what they use. You might find the information there useful. Raz

Finding Public Campgrounds
Old 03-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #20

Michigan
Registry
There are a few camping RV memberships that i believe are for private RV parks only. I imagine if one travels a lot and cant find a public campground, there may be times when one uses them. Therefore. The annual membership. Since there are a few different ones, thought I'd ask about them.

Thanks for the link Roz. You have been such a great help here on these boards. I appreciate it.

Karen.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #21
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #22

Michigan
Registry
Sorry...I meant...RAZ..
Old 11-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #23

Name: Sandi
Trailer: 1978 Boler 17 foot
Alberta
Sure wish the American one was offered for higher price to Canadians, sounds like a excellent perk for seniors to encourage travel. Does anyone know if Canada offers a senior pass?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi J View Post
Sure wish the American one was offered for higher price to Canadians, sounds like a excellent perk for seniors to encourage travel. Does anyone know if Canada offers a senior pass?
Parks Canada does sell a yearly pass with a discount to seniors but it does not include camping fees.

At least some of the Provinces offering a discount on camping fees to seniors - each province is different and the discount is not always for the whole year. For example in BC Seniors camp for half price from Labour Day through to June 14th of the following year.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Working hard and paying my own bills is a duty for which I expect no "reward", nor do I anticipate a time when that responsibility will pass to others.

And certainly, my responsibility to provide for the next generation precludes the expectation that I'll make them pay more just so I can pay less; which is what "senior discounts" amount to.

I can't say that I feel your guilt, or agree with your conclusion on which it is based, but.....

Remember, Seniors leave a smaller footprint and average only about 1.5 persons per site, they stay longer and at off times , like off season and weekdays. Thereby filling the coffers and actually lowering the cost for the younger folks and leaving the parks for them at peak times.
Hopefully these rationalizations can assuage your conscience and allow you to accept this small token of appreciation and respect.

If not, I suggest you accept the discount, then donate the balance to your church or favorite charity.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #26
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

I can't say that I feel your guilt, or agree with your conclusion on which it is based, but.....

Remember, Seniors leave a smaller footprint and average only about 1.5 persons per site, they stay longer and at off times , like off season and weekdays. Thereby filling the coffers and actually lowering the cost for the younger folks and leaving the parks for them at peak times.
Hopefully these rationalizations can assuage your conscience and allow you to accept this small token of appreciation and respect.

If not, I suggest you accept the discount, then donate the balance to your church or favorite charity.

Well said, Floyd. Many businesses realize this and offer senior discounts because making a reduced profit is better than making NO Profit. I seriously doubt any private or public enterprise is losing money offering senior discounts, military discounts, new mother discounts, or "greatly reduced sale prices."

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #27

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Good response Floyd, and no guilt here either.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #28

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I am a Geezer I have a Geezer pass . I have used it on a few occasions . I do not feel any guilt in owning or using my Geezer pass .