Just what is a geezer pass and how do I get one? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #29

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'm philosophically opposed to/refuse to use senior discounts since costs are just passed down to those under the age of "qualification". Which age I've reached, by the way.

I think such passes should instead be issued to families with children since that's the population most squeezed by today's economy.

Working hard and paying my own bills is a duty for which I expect no "reward", nor do I anticipate a time when that responsibility will pass to others.

And certainly, my responsibility to provide for the next generation precludes the expectation that I'll make them pay more just so I can pay less; which is what "senior discounts" amount to.
I appreciate your stance on this issue and applaud the guts it takes to make and practice it. I donít, however, necessarily personally agree with it.

During the past 47 years I have gone to school, earned a professional degree then worked until now. During all that time I never asked anyone for anything I didnít work for and earn. With the exception of auto and mortgage loans Iíve never borrowed any money and all of this has long been paid off. Iíve paid all my taxes thru the years. I donít find anything really special about this scenario as Iím sure it mirrors most of the participants of this and many of these forums.

So, Iím not really feeling too guilty about my $10.00 card from the NPS.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #30

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I qualified for a Geezer Pass this year, can't wait to get one. Doesn't mean I'll use it... but I can!

Old 11-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #31

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
There is nothing wrong with getting a break, On Black Friday, During a Sale at a store or living living enough to get a lifetime National Park Service pass that you still have to pay for.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #32

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
I'll do ya folks one better. I've got the Disabled ACCESS pass. Not only do I enjoy the discounts, but it was absolutely totally FREE!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #33

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Province of Newfoundland Discount.

Provincial Parks in Canada provide a 50% discount to seniors for anyone that is a senior. Typically discounted prices vary from $9-14CND. It requires the purchase of a yearly pass, $15 I believe.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #34

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Unfortunately as Carol said not for everyone in BC. You have to be a resident of BC and it is only before June 15th and after Labour day. Unfortunately many of the campground in BC aren't open much longer than that outside of the lower mainland.
You do get a $10 discount on the National Park pass, its $57.90 per person instead of $67.60 but that is just for admission for a year, no discount for camping.
I wish we had the geezer pass!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #35

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I'm philosophically opposed to/refuse to use senior discounts since costs are just passed down to those under the age of "qualification". Which age I've reached, by the way.

I think such passes should instead be issued to families with children since that's the population most squeezed by today's economy.
Sorry, late to the game, somehow missing this thread before.

To some degree, I agree with what Francesca said here, as would my mother, not that seniors shouldn't get breaks, but it affording things can sure be tough on young families. My mother always says, that though she does appreciate all the benefits that seniors get, she would have rather had these breaks when younger and needed them more. Since then she has had most of a lifetime to plan for her senior years.

However, if any breaks are offered to me because of my age, I would not turn them down. Maybe then I could use these savings to help out my kids as they raise families.
ďMost folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.Ē ó Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #36

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
To me, getting a senior pass will be just as agreeable as getting social security and medicare. I'll have paid my dues through the years, and by then it will be time to receive some returns.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 11-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #37

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:

This statement makes some very interesting assumptions. The first and foremost assumption I see is that somehow you controlled who your ancestry was, and where you were born. The luck of the draw determines your social economic position is life.

I feel extremely lucky to:
Be born in the US and have along US citizen ancestry.
Be born of parents that helped guide me to a career that I managed to make a living at.
Live long enough to enjoy the discounts granted to "seniors", and be healthy to enjoy them.

I would not turn down a large sum of money won in a lottery game, which would have come my way by pure luck, would you?
Old 11-30-2014, 12:58 AM   #38

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Also I feel that it's my obligation to take advantage of senior discounts so that others that might need it more will have the discounts to take advantage of.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #39

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm 64 and new to FGRV camping. I just found out about the geezer passes before our last trip. I received mine and was elated to save $24 at the LBL Rally.

I worked all my adult life in service to our great country. I spent 40 years as a Soldier, both Active and Reserves, and 30 years as a Dept of Army Civilian. I paid taxes my whole life and never collected one penny of welfare , food stamps, EBT cards, free phones or any other form of wealth redistribution. I'm not complaining about it. It was the life I chose, and loved every minute of it. I did what I did for a few reasons, but I had to make sacrifices most people can't even imagine. My wife and kids even more so. I never made much money, but still managed to camp with the family, albeit in a tent.

Owning a camper was something to dream about. The dream came through for us, and if the country wants to give us a break on the costs with a little discount, I for one don't feel the least bit guilty taking it. Our kids are happy to see us take advantage of it as well. Someday, they hope to get a geezer pass.

My wife and I also take advantage of McDonald's senior coffee. How cool is that?

Tom
Old 11-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #40

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Some senior citizens depend on them, i`m sure, to go camping in our tiny little campers. Not all have the "golden parachute" retirement income. For myself i have not used anything yet, I`m 70, I will though. Carl
Old 11-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #41

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I find the assumption that the majority of retired people have an excess of disposable income and that people of working age with children are all suffering as ludicrous . I have children in there forties who live a far better life style than I ever lived. We are admonished to save for our retirement years so we are not a burden on our children or society and then some want to punish us for saving .
Old 11-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #42

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I qualified for a Geezer Pass this year, can't wait to get one. Doesn't mean I'll use it... but I can!
Welcome to the club!
The Geezer Pass would not be offered by the NPS if it did not have some benefit for the park system. Another way to look at it, it brings some older folks to the parks who would otherwise sit on their duff, and I bet there are also many grandparents who take their youngest ones along, who in turn, get used to visiting the parks and come on their own later on. And, as someone stated earlier, we taxpayers have earned it.
So, Donna, get it soon and enjoy the benefit!
(A corollary question: doesn't every geezer on this forum have that pass?)