Just Wondering - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Just Wondering

If I were to get back into camping I was wondering if you use a dish sat receiver or a direct tv receiver from home in the camper. My idea is to have a second antenna in the camper for road use. Second question would be since you are not in you home and on the road would you get any networks(ABC, CBS, NBC) while camping. I have a slingbox setup and that would work well on the road since I have used it in 14 countries around the world but that requires a hi speed connection. Any Ideas?
Poppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We had Dish TV at our home in NH and a second antenna with the RV. On two of our RVs we cut a hole in the roof and mounted a Dish antenna on the roof. Once we bought a fiberglass trailer we used a tripod outside the trailer.

We used Dish and a sat dish to get TV for the first 9 years of our travels. At the time Dish provided connection to national networks ABC, CBS, NBC. Direct has a similar deal, Dish no longer provides national network channels but will connect you to local national networks when you call and give your position/zip code.

Sat TV is expensive. We gave it up and now use Internet TV and our Hotspot. We do have Sling TV over our Amazon Fire stick and both a Chromecast fire stick.

In FL we use one of those 'sheet of paper sized' antennas to get local channels. There is also one available from RCA that can be mounted on a piece of plastic pipe to get all the locals.

The Sat dish is nice because to matter where you are, places far from local, you can get perfect reception (as long as you're not in a forest.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Our Internet is a Verizon 3G hotspot and most of the time is adequate for our TV.

We've become captured by Netflix and love to be able to watch 8 years of a program in a month. Imagine reading a book over 8 years. These series are so much better watched more quickly,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #3

Florida
portable wi fi

Thanks for that information. I am a little reluctant to use my portable wifi because I thought that it uses a ton of data. Thats why I don't want to stream slingbox on a portable wifi. I'm probably wrong. I was looking for a quick and easy thing but I guest its not out there. Campgrounds sometimes include wi fi don't they.?
Old 10-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppie View Post
Thanks for that information. I am a little reluctant to use my portable wifi because I thought that it uses a ton of data. Thats why I don't want to stream slingbox on a portable wifi. I'm probably wrong. I was looking for a quick and easy thing but I guest its not out there. Campgrounds sometimes include wi fi don't they.?
Where campgrounds have wifi, it's shared bandwidth and is way too slow for streaming video. Takes a long time just to load a web page.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

Florida
great info

Thanks for that heads up. I would have been caught up in a dial up type situation. I wonder how many others know this
Old 10-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

Florida
Campground wi-fi varies. We don't travel in the summer so campground wi-fi's often not bad. Using your hotspot can be expensive, we're fortunate and have an unlimited plan.

For us we decided Satellite TV was inexpensive because it was available simultaneously at home and on the road. We were gone for almost 8 months a year and while we're away people would occasionally be at our home. They would still have TV as we traveled and access to local network channels and distant network channels, typically NY and San Fran, great for football fans. ANother subtle advantage is when we were traveling out west we could see network shows from NY 3 hours earlier.

We find that Sling TV and Netflix work down to 1 MHz on wifi. Rhe only time we have trouble is if we're trying to use our computers at the same time or peak times like 5-6PM. During those time periods we occasionally get the buffering symbol. Do recognize we don't have a 4K Television.

My son has Internet at home and downloads a lot of movies to CDs and takes them with him and plays them thru his laptop or computer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
.. Using your hotspot can be expensive, we're fortunate and have an unlimited plan.
A fact that Verizon does not like..
Is it time to ditch Verizon's unlimited data plan? - CNET

Yes, mobile data can get expensive. Its hard to avoid.

On the road, I too watch local broadcast TV, or stuff I have downloaded. There is even a way to save shows from Netflix. And Netflix does not like it.

So many unhappy corporations
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
A fact that Verizon does not like..
Is it time to ditch Verizon's unlimited data plan? - CNET

Yes, mobile data can get expensive. Its hard to avoid.
Gordon, My unlimited plan has always cost more than the price increase, Here the article is about people who have unlimited 4G plans on their phone.

My unlimited plan is on a 3G hotspot. It costs me $60 a month and have paying it for 8 years. I typically use 100 Gbytes a month mostly for TV, about 10 Gbytes for Computers and phones.

Note this hotspot runs at 3G speeds, not the faster 4G speeds. It is definitely fast enough for every thing we do on our computers and fast enough for us to watch everything on TV, (We just watched the wedding/honeymoon of Doc Martin,)

Tonight 3G is running at about 2 Mbits per second, while 4G at our house is running at about 20 Mbits per second. Though 4G is running 10 times as fast for most things we do it's not necessary.

We also have 4 G bytes of 4G data that we share on our smartphones, primarily used when we're not home. Most of the time our phones use the 3G wireless at home.

We do pay a lot for phone service but it serves us well. I'm always looking something up on the internet. I'm an avid questioner, amazingly to me I can now get answers to anything. You can't imagine how happy that makes me.

One nice thing about Verizon is you can go on line and suspend service without penalty.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16