K&N Air Filters? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Just take it off and throw it in the dishwasher.

JUST KIDDING!!!

You buy a K&N filter cleaning and oil kit. You use the cleaner as directed and spray it onto the filter. Let it sit the required time, and hose it clean. Let it air dry (DO NOT use compressed air) and then use the appropriate amount of oil on it as directed. It takes a couple of hours, (most of that drying time) and you're good to go again.

You should clean your filter about every six months. Don't use too much oil as the oil can foul mass airflow sensors if there's an excess.

Roger

Old 03-15-2007, 09:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 73 Boler
I used to run a K&N in my Tacoma until i decided to pull off the rubber intake tube between the filter and the intake manifold. I discovered very fine silt/dust that got past the filter. I returned the filter and went back to the factory filter. K&N suggests to run a prefilter as well as the regular K&N filter if you want to keep out the dust.
I found the K&N made no difference in performance or fuel economy.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #17

Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
I used to run a K&N in my Tacoma until i decided to pull off the rubber intake tube between the filter and the intake manifold. I discovered very fine silt/dust that got past the filter. I returned the filter and went back to the factory filter. K&N suggests to run a prefilter as well as the regular K&N filter if you want to keep out the dust.
I found the K&N made no difference in performance or fuel economy.
Colin, I think everyone pretty much agrees that K&N isn't a good choice for running in dusty conditions, and probably half of the folks who use them report that they don't do much. I got about 2mpg gain on my Excursion. It'll be interesting to see if there's any improvement with the Tundra V6. The dyno charts claim a 5hp boost with the K&N, not enough to set you back in the seat by any means, but nothing to sneeze at when you're towing a Bigfoot 17 with a 3.4l V6 either. Every little bit helps.

Roger
Old 03-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I'm having difficulty reconciling observations that the filter doesn't do much for economy, and more than one quote of a 2 MPG gain. That's about a 10% improvement in fuel consumption, which is enormous. I would not expect such a gain from an air filter change, and I can only guess that the gain comes from other changes made at the same time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #19

Iowa
I'd guess, Brian, that a lot of the improvement has to do with both driving style and how much constriction there is in the stock intake tubing compared to the K&N intake replacement tubing. Obviously, if the stock equipment is free-flowing and doesn't have a significant constriction on airflow, the K&N FIPK won't help much. Recognize also that K&N filters are available merely as drop-in replacements for the stock filter media. I didn't notice any gains at all with just the stock filter replacement. The gains I recognized on the Excursion are with the installation of the FIPK. The HP gains claimed by K&N are at fairly high RPMs.

I'm hoping to see similar gains in the Toyota.

Roger
Old 03-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #20

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Quote:
Just take it off and throw it in the dishwasher.
Roger
Ok.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 Trillium Outback
In my humble opinion, they are worth the expense. Over the life of the filter, you'd save from not buying a paper filter every year. As previously mentioned, you have to be willing to clean the filter every 6-12 months. Performance gains, I haven't measured the before and after, but based upon the design vs the paper filter that came with my Sonata, I'd have to guess it is more efficient in trapping dirt in the air.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #22

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
If all it took to produce a ten percent fuel economy increase was a fancy air filter, why are they not installed by the automakers at the factory?

Also, if these things do a poor job of traping dust, I would bet that the use of them voids any warranty on your engine.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 03-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #23

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Dan,
I can see you are a gambling man. Word of advice - don't bet anymore than you can afford to lose !! I called the Honda dealership before I bought one of those filters - no voids. How much did you say you would wager? lol !! Don
Old 03-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #24

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Dan, I had the same thought, and I think the answer comes in two parts...

First, as Roger just clarified, his improvement was not from just the filter.

The second part is that even if it helped economy this filter design would not be acceptable for a regular production vehicle, potentially due to effectiveness in handling the finest particles, but certainly due to the maintenance requirement. Most owners will not have the air filter serviced as frequently as is being advised here, and any shop would charge so much to clean and re-oil one that any economic advantage over disposable filters would be wiped out. Auto service shops don't even rebuild starters or alternators to save the owners hundreds of dollars... they're not going to wash filters, and the manufacturers are not going to put them in the position of doing it.

Although I don't use a K&N filter anymore, I do see some applications where it would make sense, for some owners.

And Don, I wouldn't bet on any information from a dealership being right. The test comes when you have an engine failure and try to get the warranty claim paid, which is not determined by the dealership.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #25

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
First, let me say I know little about this subject although I did have an oil-bath filter on my 1970 VW Bus!

After a quick read over that the Honda Element forum which lead me to Bob The Oil Guy who did some air flow and filtration tests http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm and has several threads in his forum discussing the topic which leads to other tests, my considered opinion is:

Any HP or MPG benefit is probably due to the placebo effect from the "throaty roar" I keep reading about!
More dirt apparently gets into your engine using the K&N.
If Honda engineers aren't slapping them on, why should I?
and
I gave up oil soaking filters 30 years ago and don't care to go back!

Again, since I don't know anything much about these I can't argue with those who would disagree, and there seems to be a lot of that in the other forums!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #26

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Brian,
You are right when you say that the air filter is not the sole reason for better mileage. It has been my experience that with conservative driving around town, There is not a great deal of difference in the mileage. At highway speeds is where the best performance is. As you say, dealerships may well be wrong about what qualifies under warrenty. They were wrong when they told me that synthetic oil is a waste of money and that is where the greatest improvement came. I have not seen any fine particles of dust going through the filter, but then, we live in a mountain area where such things do not contaminate the air. Still, the filter does pick up plenty of larger particles so regular maintenance is a must. Thanks to everyone here for their considered inputs. Don
Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #27

Iowa
Quote:
Any HP or MPG benefit is probably due to the placebo effect from the "throaty roar" I keep reading about!
You mean the obnoxious howl?

No, no... I'm sure the benefits are from the really "cool" look under the hood.

Roger
Old 03-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I was under the impression that the dirtier they got the better they filtered.

If so, why bother to clean them?

Better yet, why purchase a new one for $40 when you could likely get an old one that filters better than a new one for less than $5 at a junk yard?

Loren

P.S. Flame suit already on!