Kansas Rally-Perry Lake - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
The Kansas Rally was small but we had a great time. Lee, Lori, Vickie, Deely and Richard and I and Vickie and Deely`s 2 cute pugs survived the rain and thunder storms.
We found out our camper leaked-the rain and wind were a little un-nerving at times.

We ate our evening meal together and roasted marshmallows at the campfire and visited. We did our own thing during the day-exploring the area.

After a nice weekend we headed home-only to lose a wheel 10 miles from Lawrence, Ks. A young man stopped to help us-which is good because I could then direct traffic on the 2 lane hiway away from Richard and the man that stopped to help. There was no pull off area either. It took awhile to figure out what to do and then get the wheel on and only with 2 lug nuts-2 stolen from the other side. Slowly limping into Lawrence to O`Rielly automotive to get new lug nuts.
It did ruin one wheel and not sure what else is damaged.
The camper will now go into our mechanic for repair.

Happy camping-Mrs.C.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Yep, the company was 100% terrific! Wonderful people to visit and laugh with!

And the learning we did!!!!!

1. After getting the air conditioner in the window---it began to trip the power off more and more often. At bedtime, the stars were shining, but it was hot and humid---so we needed the a/c. But the power started tripping off every 20 mins. or so. Deely would go out, push the reset button on the main electrical box, and it would get cool inside, only to blow again! We finally had to give up and turn the fan of our non-working evaporative cooler on, which did help.

BUT then the rain moved in---and we found our leaks! Rain coming in from the evaporative cooler, filling up above the paneling strip on the ceiling, traveling down the strip and dripping into the bed! So we had a bucket on the floor under the e. cooler, and I had a towel in the bed. Then rain started to trickle from corner of the back window.

The next day, Deely got a second extension cord, hooked up the a/c directly to the camp power box---no more problems! Evidently, there's something in the camper wiring that prevented it from working going thru the camper. Everything else worked fine! We also covered the top of camper with a tarp---no more rain inside! Just mud from when we went in and out LOL!

2. On our way home, about 50 miles from Omaha, we blew a camper tire! Lesson learned---keep jack where you can get it easily. After unloading the back of Element and obtaining jack, I, too, stood at the side of the road to direct traffic away from Deely, (dang that's scary!), and we got that taken care of. UNFORTUNATELY, the blown tire caused damage to the camper! We lost the covering to a side light, the "door" to the electical opening for cord, a repaired crack was re-opened and a piece of fiberglass from underneath behind the tire was torn away---exposing wires and the inside of the storage area under the dinette booth.

So now the poor thing is parked at the storage place, all duct taped with a tarp on top!!!!

ROBIN: Thank the good Lord, you didn't drive all this way for the Kansas tropical rain season!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #3

Vickie, sorry you had problems too. Our camper didn`t get damaged like yours did but we need major work done on it so we can keep the tire on .
Yes-hiway traffic is scary! At times I wondered if some people were going to go around us or even slow down.
Hopefully our next trip will go smoothly.
Richard is going to be helping our son-in-law repair a major leak in a pop up camper. It is taken apart now and needs to be repaired and put back together. After that he will need to start on our windows on the Compact.
Something odd happening with the new vinyl around the top on our camper-on the inside it turns a pink/red on the backing where it gets wet. Must be some chemical reaction in the fabric or glue of some kind. Doesn`t bother me but doesn`t match the color scheme!!
I read you had guinea pigs-I love them. I had one many years ago. Love the sounds they make. How many do you have?
Mrs c.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ohhhhhhhhh, tire's! I hate them! Why can't they just go flat in the driveway? LOL......... Glad everyone got theirs changed safely. Amazing how a blowing rain will help you find those hidden leaks. I too am glad I didn't make the trip (kinda) just because friday after getting out of the testing our area had torrential rain, tornado watches, warnings. I would have been driving thru that for at least the whole Colorado portion of our trip. I figured it was heading that way as well.

Glad you all had a great time despite the weather.

So where are the pic's? Pic's, Pic's Pic's........................... Did you all like the campground?

Vickie, could the electrical issue be that the cooler pull's tooooo many amps? Not knowing what other appliances you had on, you may have had to many Amps going thru the trailers electrical. You should be able to find the amp usage on the box the cooler came in. That's not to say that the trailer wiring doesn't have an issue but from experience, I have seen it a lot. More amps being pulled than the wiring can handle so hence the electrical tripping. Just worth checking. I am sorry to hear the Pacer has a boo boo. Should be easy to repair. Good Luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #5

Hope tests went well.
Tried loading pics one other time and they were too big-whatever that means. Going to try again with the rally pics.
Sounds like weather is a challenge many places.
If we have a rally next year-hope you can come to it.
Mrs C.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Mrs. C---I have 2 guinea pigs---Peanut and Buttercup. We got them 2 yrs. ago when they were babies. They were supposed to be 2 girls---NOT! Buttercup is a guy---so they have separate condos. They live in a very big penthouse in my living room. They have fleece floors--let me tell you, they live the good life. The dogs love them, and they are not afraid of the dogs! The piggies have an inside playpen where they can play together, and in nice weather--I take them outside to play a couple hours. And they are the QUIETEST piggies I ever heard of! They are very well mannered and only make quiet sounds for their food.

Robin---the crazy thing is---all three of our campers were using the VERY SAME a/c, and everybody was running their fridge! LeeAnn said she had the same problem when she got her Burro. An electrician friend did something with her wires (said it only took a short time to do) and she was all set!! Wish I had an electrian friend!! But actually, I'm OK with running the a/c directly to the camp power box for now. Just wish we'd known that the first (sleepless) night!

All this was a blessing, tho. Cause if this hasn't dampened my enthusiasm to become a mobile diva, and if I'm still in a loving marriage after this weekend-----heh, it's all good!!!! And all this with 2 novice camping dogs!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
If your a Pc, you can resize in Paint. Right click on your pic, scroll down to OPEN IN PAINT
a new box will open with your picture in it, scroll over to IMAGE scroll down to resize/skew in the RESIZE change the values of both horizontal and vertical, change to 50% then your pic will resize, You need to scroll over to FILE and scroll down to SAVE AS, another box will open up asking you to name your new size picture. Name it with the word web, forum, etc in the name that way when you need it again you know which picture has been resized for internet/fourm uploads. But you have to SAVE AS or you will lose your orignial. Good Luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Burro
Quote:
Mrs. C---I have 2 guinea pigs---Peanut and Buttercup. We got them 2 yrs. ago when they were babies. They were supposed to be 2 girls---NOT! Buttercup is a guy---so they have separate condos. They live in a very big penthouse in my living room. They have fleece floors--let me tell you, they live the good life. The dogs love them, and they are not afraid of the dogs! The piggies have an inside playpen where they can play together, and in nice weather--I take them outside to play a couple hours. And they are the QUIETEST piggies I ever heard of! They are very well mannered and only make quiet sounds for their food.

Robin---the crazy thing is---all three of our campers were using the VERY SAME a/c, and everybody was running their fridge! LeeAnn said she had the same problem when she got her Burro. An electrician friend did something with her wires (said it only took a short time to do) and she was all set!! Wish I had an electrian friend!! But actually, I'm OK with running the a/c directly to the camp power box for now. Just wish we'd known that the first (sleepless) night!

All this was a blessing, tho. Cause if this hasn't dampened my enthusiasm to become a mobile diva, and if I'm still in a loving marriage after this weekend-----heh, it's all good!!!! And all this with 2 novice camping dogs!
I hear you have to take the ground wire off the neutral bar and land it on the box. I also hear you can electricute yourself if you don't know what you're doing. That's what fixed mine.
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote