Keep drinking water from freezing. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Keep drinking water from freezing.

Is there any way to keep drinking water from freezing with out adding alcohol or keeping in a warm place?

Name:   index.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  5.5 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Water freezes at 32 degrees F, 0 degrees. Adding any substance that will create a solution to the water (salt, sugar, alcohol, etc.) will lower its freezing temperature. So the short answer to you question is NO.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We put plastic gallon milk jugs of room temperature water in a good cooler along with a couple of gallon jugs filled with "HOT" water . Water did not freeze after 48 hours at temps near zero F .I suppose one could fill all the jugs with HOT water but I am not fond of drinking hot water
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Is there any way to keep drinking water from freezing with out adding alcohol or keeping in a warm place?
Attachment 79592

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Take it from someone who spends a lot of time trying to keep water from freezing in her back pack while working on a ski hill, those thin plastic water bottles are the worst! They freeze way to fast even when stuffed inside a back pack. You need to use something with insulated walls to contain the water - a large Insulated Thermos's such as this one works well - you can get in small or large sizes. And keeping it in a cooler without ice in it also helps.

An old style large thermos drink cooler might also do the trick. You can find them in thrift stores frequently.
Attached Thumbnails
$_57.JPG  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
So far, all the "solutions" posted involve putting the drinking water in a warm place (in a cooler with one bottle filled with hot water or in a thermos inside a cooler. Given long enough time and cold enough temperatures, the drinking water will still freeze, these procedures will only slow the process as insulation can only go so far. Very good solutions to keeping water in its liquid state longer, but the OP did specify " keeping in a warm place." Personally I like the idea of adding alcohol to it, preferably Scotch! :LOL
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Personally I like the idea of adding alcohol to it, preferably Scotch! :LOL
+1.

The more you do it, the less you'll end up caring about freezing.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Personally I like the idea of adding alcohol to it, preferably Scotch! :LOL
Don't know why, this just popped into my head..
"The other day I got invited to a party, but I stayed home instead, just me and my buddy Johnny Walker, and his brothers Black and Red, and we drank alone.."

Tom

TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Very good solutions to keeping water in its liquid state longer, but the OP did specify " keeping in a warm place." Personally I like the idea of adding alcohol to it, preferably Scotch! :LOL
Agree Carl but my alcohol of choose on the mountain is Whiskey - no water added!! & BTW the OP also did ask about solutions other than alcohol "or" keeping in a warm place.

As you say water is water it freezes nothing will stop it .... only slow it. Heck I had water freeze almost solid inside a thermos in less than 6 hours last year while working at Lake Louise - even though the thermos was also inside my back pack and stuck inside a very large mitten! and had other extra clothing wrapped around it. But then again it was -33 C for most of that day & started out at -42C We radio down to the base and asked if someone would bring us some drinkable water - the party at the base brought us some water in plastic bottles that had been stored in a warm cabin - by the time he got to the top of the mountain they had already turned to slushy's!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Don't know why, this just popped into my head..
"The other day I got invited to a party, but I stayed home instead, just me and my buddy Johnny Walker, and his brothers Black and Red, and we drank alone.."

Tom

Dang must be a good one, not available in my country!
Old 01-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Keep water from freezing

Hold water next to chest and wrap arms around it. When tired, drink it.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Since a cooler is supposed to keep cold food cold, why couldn't you put your bottled water in a cooler to keep it from freezing? One of those el-cheapo syrofoam coolers may be the best. If you leave it outside it may, but perhaps not inside your tug...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It would help to have a little context on this question. Under what conditions and for how long are you looking to keep the water liquid?

Adding thermal mass (as in putting it in a cooler or in a car) will slow the process, as will putting in a pre-warmed object, but given enough time and/or cold enough temperatures, it will eventually freeze, absent a source of heat input. Keeping the water moving would also do it, I suppose, though I don't know how you would accomplish that, which merely involves a different kind of energy input. That's why they have bubblers around boats in the winter.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Bury it below the frost line?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Bury it and fill the hole with sawdust. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When ice fishing we put our beer /pop in a nylon net sack ,drill a hole in the ice and lower the sack under the ice. (Attach a rope to the sack before lowering below ice)
Beer /pop stays cold but does not freeze even at 30 bellow zero . Secret is to camp close to a lake
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The reason I mentioned the styrofoam cooler, is we use that same kind of thing to keep hose bibs from freezing here in PDX. Sometimes down into the "teens" for more than a week. I've yet to have a problem (knock wood).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Old School Method Still the Best?

There is one sure method to carry water or a liquid no matter how cold it gets. We discovered the merits of Bota Bags for carrying 1 to 2 quarts of water when deer hunting in the north woods of MI. I remember one trip in Dec when the temps hit -30 degrees. Nothing else worked.

We fill them with warm water and carry them under our coat. Body heat keeps them from freezing. It is silent, no sloshing noises, and it gets smaller the more you drink. It conforms to your body shape, nothing to poke you. The design is centuries old and derives from Basque goat herders in Spain.

I'm thinking it might make a good way to bring your wine to pot luck dinners at Egg Rallys. Nothing to break, spill, or carry in your hands. Hmm...

Article:
Bota Bags | RetroSki

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote