Keep Mosquitoes Away - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #29
Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
Bats are great, but they're also the number one vector of rabies to humans. Don't build your bat house too close, or attached to, occupied buildings, be very careful about "checking" to see if they're occupied, and avoid bats if you see them during the day.

2009 Tacoma 4DR TRD 4wd
2007 Tundra 4DR TRD 4wd
2012 Escape 19
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Just did some reading as I had heard that most negative traits folks believed regarding bats were mostly unfounded.

Only in North America are wild carnivores and bats the number one way humans get rabies. In the rest of the world it is mostly from dogs, especially in Africa and Asia. There are about 1-2 deaths per year from rabies in the US, as for the most part rabies is easily treated if done so right away.

Bottom line for me is that I would never consider housing bats a worry, with the benefits they provide very high.

2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #31
Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
I didn't mean to suggest one should worry, just be cautious. I do have bat houses on our hunting/fishing property, and while I don't consider it a worry per se, we are careful. Most bats are pretty small, their bite is not particularly painful (so I'm told), and if it happens at night one might not even notice immediately. While the number of rabies deaths is small, I still wouldn't want to be taking the post-exposure regimen of vaccinations.
2009 Tacoma 4DR TRD 4wd
2007 Tundra 4DR TRD 4wd
2012 Escape 19
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #32
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
We have a five acre pond and lots of mosquitos. We also have a good-sized natural population of bats.

They're real interesting critters....they seem to work on a sort of cooperative schedule with the swallows that work first-mosquito-watch in the evenings. Fun to watch the changing of the guard from our deck- just as the light fades, the swallows go home and the bats come out.

Never had one get inside the house, though, or come anywhere near us. Can't think why they'd want to!

Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #33
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Last year I tried the homemade trap using the soda bottle and yeast and had very poor results. It caught a few fruit flies and gnats, but very few, (if any), mosquitoes.

I had read many post saying the same thing..... Too bad since that would be an easy fix!

But for those that say, awww I just let them bite me. When you visit CO or anywhere else that West Nile is a issue, I suggest at least trying to avoid them. And yes, Avon Skin so Soft is a great alternative to chemical sprays.

Here's a link to West Nile,

Not being a fear monger, I unfortunately know several people who have had LO's die from West Nile. As well as several who have been affected by it!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #34
Name: Jean
Trailer: Casita with a Rav 4 tow vehicle
New Jersey
I am always the bait, but I have one of those bug rackets. $6 at Walmart! Hours of entertainment as well! Nothing is more satisfying than hearing that snap!
Jeanbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #35
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
When a friend moved to Alaska I made her a mosquito control kit. It's a block of wood and a mallet. Hardest thing is to get the skeeter on the block so you can whack it. If you think you need directions to make a kit, private message me and I'll spell it out in detail.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #36
Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Those of you who are using bats and swallows, how do you take them along camping - do they stay in the trailer, or do they ride in the TV with you?
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #37
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
If bats eat mosquitos, Johnny Depp (as Tonto) should be good to go... he can wear one on his head. Plus he acts pretty batty...

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote