Keep Mosquitoes Away - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Keep Mosquitoes Away

The following web article has some great tips for keeping mosquitoes out of your yard, most of which are also applicable to camping. I have a mosquito-netted hat but have never used it. My worst mosquito encounter was at the end of a long, hot day of backpacking. We were dog-tired and just let our bags (and bodies) drop at our campsite. Before we knew it we were being "eaten alive" with swarms of mosquitoes biting through our clothing. We donned our very puffy down jackets and skedaddled out of there! I doubt anything would have deterred those hungry buggers.

Let us know of your favorite ways to keep mosquitoes at bay.
Don't Let Them Get You This Year! How to Keep Mosquitos Out of Your Yard - iVillage
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
homemade trap for Mosquitos

Bama

Have you noticed the Mosquitos are already out! Here is a homemade trap to help keep you and the kiddos from being a blood donor!!!

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
Items needed:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #3

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Not breathing helps also.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Bring along a sacrificial friend who attracts mosquitos! Some people's chemistry seems much more desirable to mosquitos so if one of those folks is along, you may be ignored.

I've tried citronella- I think it helps slightly but not much. Regular repellants work better.

My worst time backpacking, we had to sit in our lightweight sleeping bag liners with them pulled tight over our heads and read until bedtime, when we went into the screened tent. Horrible!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have just bothered to let them bite me, and have built up an immunity. The buzzing about is a bit bothersome, but not that bad. Only on the tops of the feet do I seem to react now, and any bites elsewhere don't even show. Hopefully I don't find some with West Nile disease.

They way mozzies bother me the most, is the frenzy that they seem to send most people into.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Although the act of being bitten is as annoying to me as to anyone else, I also have never had any skin reactions to mosquito bites, so I do not suffer the after effects of being bitten.

When mosquitoes populations are fairly low, I seldom use any deterrents. When the bugs are really biting, usually a few shots of a good bug spray with deet works well for me. When the mosquito populations are extremely high and when they are large enough to carry away small pets, I have used long sleeves, long pants, thick socks, gloves, and a mesh bug hat to keep them at bay. Because I am the only one in my immediate family who has no skin reactions to mosquito bytes, I am usually the one delegated to cooking meals outdoors in the bug infested areas while the rest of the family plays card games in their tents or screen rooms.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
THAT is brilliant! First homemade solution I've ever seen that actually uses the right attractant.

Works exactly the same way propane "fired" mosquito traps do- and without the flame/expense...

Thanks a million, Herschel!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #8

Name: Randy
Trailer: casita
Florida
Ive bowhunted here in Florida for years. You don't know how bad they can be till you get down in these swamps around dusk. I wear a Shannons bug tamer suit while on the move. Once Im stopped, a Thermocell works excellent. Not much on repellents but will use em in a pinch. If you haven't tried the thermocell you need to get one. No gimmick, THEY WORK!
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #9

Name: Randy
Florida
Effective Mosquito Repellent for Outdoor Areas | ThermaCELL
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
2 Thermocells around campsite table, and/or a deet spray while hiking
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
That Thermacell is certainly popular...

I have to say, though, that I'm a bit mystified by folks' indifference to the fact that it works by surrounding them with a cloud of "allethrin", some of which must surely get inhaled. I s'pose the makers of this type of thing will say that's O.K., but it does surprise me that so many people agree in spite of at least some evidence to the contrary.

I'd rather use the sticky stuff on my skin, no matter the yuck factor...but I'm putting one of Herschel's CO2 "factories" together for my deck today!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #12

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
On our recent trip to Algonquin park we tried a couple of things for in the trailer - the Thermacell, some citronella candles, and mosquito coils.

The Thermacell, yeah, it worked to discourage bugs inside the trailer, but it really is meant for more outdoor applications and we only tried it once after realizing it made us feel a little icky.

The mosquito coil did the best job hands-down in terms of a deterrent not attached to the actual skin. The bugs didn't want to follow us inside when going in and out of the trailer. It's more like incense - probably not the best thing in the world to breathe but also didn't feel like we needed to line up for transplants right away.

Citronella candles were eh, plus they left a black residue on surfaces in the trailer (that I still need to finish wiping off). Luckily the Burro has those easy-wipeable interior walls!

When I'm hiking/out doing photography depending on the level of enthusiasm among local bugs I might have a full on head net plus bug jacket plus gloves and pants, which makes a spray-on deterrent kind of beside the point. But I might spray my hat and head net with my home-made deterrent brew just to discourage the bugs from flying around my face.

For light bug exposure I mix essential oils (citronella, tea tree, and eucalyptus) into some Listerine in a spray bottle and it does a really decent job. As a bonus it makes the car smell nice and fragrant when you spill half of it on the car seat.
When I'm thinking about ticks I hit my legs and shoes with a DEET spray.

I have had West Nile virus and it's not fun. My husband picked up rocky mountain spotted fever last year, right here in Philadelphia, from a tick picked up while doing photography. We are super into keeping bugs away.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I hear the Avon product called Skin So Soft is also a great lotion for the dreaded MISQ.. and make you smell and god for the skin
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you're hooked up to an electric bush, the best thing I've ever found is a fan and NO chemicals. Mosquitoes don't fly when it's breezy. That's why, at the Oregon Gathering we're hoping for a bit of constant breeze, otherwise the mosquitoes are big enough to haul off small children and pets!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #15

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
On our recent trip to Algonquin park we tried a couple of things for in the trailer - the Thermacell, some citronella candles, and mosquito coils.

The Thermacell, yeah, it worked to discourage bugs inside the trailer, but it really is meant for more outdoor applications and we only tried it once after realizing it made us feel a little icky.

The mosquito coil did the best job hands-down in terms of a deterrent not attached to the actual skin. The bugs didn't want to follow us inside when going in and out of the trailer. It's more like incense - probably not the best thing in the world to breathe but also didn't feel like we needed to line up for transplants right away.

Citronella candles were eh, plus they left a black residue on surfaces in the trailer (that I still need to finish wiping off). Luckily the Burro has those easy-wipeable interior walls!

When I'm hiking/out doing photography depending on the level of enthusiasm among local bugs I might have a full on head net plus bug jacket plus gloves and pants, which makes a spray-on deterrent kind of beside the point. But I might spray my hat and head net with my home-made deterrent brew just to discourage the bugs from flying around my face.

For light bug exposure I mix essential oils (citronella, tea tree, and eucalyptus) into some Listerine in a spray bottle and it does a really decent job. As a bonus it makes the car smell nice and fragrant when you spill half of it on the car seat.
When I'm thinking about ticks I hit my legs and shoes with a DEET spray.

I have had West Nile virus and it's not fun. My husband picked up rocky mountain spotted fever last year, right here in Philadelphia, from a tick picked up while doing photography. We are super into keeping bugs away.
Jen b.... After 26 years in the pestcontrol busness we have found that ticks don't seam to be deterred by Deet your should try one of the Permethrin treatments for your pants and shirts. Like this one. Sawyer® Products - Water Filtration, Insect Repellent, Sunscreens and More
Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #16

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you're hooked up to an electric bush, the best thing I've ever found is a fan and NO chemicals. Mosquitoes don't fly when it's breezy. That's why, at the Oregon Gathering we're hoping for a bit of constant breeze, otherwise the mosquitoes are big enough to haul off small children and pets!
Donna.... Good call on the fan!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #17

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have a Ryobi fan that works with the 18V cordless batteries- great for situations like that.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
When the Mosquitos get this thick, only thing that will work is a full bug suit.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #19

Name: Jerrybob
Washington
How do you know if you have a tough mosquito? You slap him and he slaps you back!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I just remembered...my husband has two tennis racket electric fly swatters that are most effective for ridding our home and our trailer of buzzing, flying insects. Amazon.com: Garden Creations JB5285 Electronic Bug Zapper Racket: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote