Keeping Cool Without A/C - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
Trailer: Eggless at the moment
Ok, here's my question. What if the tarp in question was made from 90% UV block Solar Screen? Like this PolyCB2 MX-90 Solar Screen ?

Since it is supposed to block the UV (heat causing) rays, could that keep an egg as cool as an AC? Just wondering.....

Plotting my next adventures...
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #16
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It's quite unlikely that any tarp would keep the eqq as cool as an a/c would because it actually removes heat from the air and also dehumidifies the air. All a tarp can do is bring the temperature down to shade temperature.

In my case, what I was looking for was to keep the eqq from being heat-soaked in the direct sun because then the insulation works against you and keep the inside warm for a longer time at night. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it kept it pleasantly cool during the hot days also when I used it in the open at Black Canyon of the Gunnision River NP later that Summer. As I said, I have also had good performance from a tarp over the egg on a rope between two trees, but that isn't always an option.

BTW, in the Boler photo it looks like the shorter poles are PVC and the longer ones are metal.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I found an ez up works well for this too, if you have the small egg that fits under the canopy. Good for times when there are not any trees to tie off from, though you do have to secure the ez up some how, stakes, bricks or sand bags ...

excellent mod! in either case! Thanks for sharing.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #18
Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
Any thoughts on just laying out some type of large rectangular piece of reflectix insulation on the roof (perhaps leaving openings for any vents and such)? My understanding is the infrared radiation from the sun (and not the UV) is what "soaks" into the trailer the most during the day, so reflection might be more effective and less trouble than a standard white tarp. They put reflective material around refrigerators for that purpose also.
Driving on parkways and parking in driveways.
Daniel V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Reflectix comes on rolls that aren't as wide as a tarp, so you'd have to do some sewing, but it would make great shade material. Of course, you really still want a way to suspend it because it all works better if there's space between the tarp and the egg.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote