Keeping Cool without an Air Conditioner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
The incinerator is good for cooling as well:
The Incinerator, why doesn't everyone have one?

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 AM   #16
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
But do they work in high humidity?
Yes, I had/have one and they work real well in high humidity. Portable air conditioning - 12 volt - air conditioners - Evaporative coolers

Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #17
Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, I had/have one and they work real well in high humidity. Portable air conditioning - 12 volt - air conditioners - Evaporative coolers
It has the lowest rating I have ever seen on Amazon. It does appear the company is over promising. Another name for this is swamp cooler. Typically they work best in low humidity places like the US Southwest.

I watched a couple of youtube videos yesterday on how to make one. The problem is you need to either buy or make a lot of ice and refill the cooler every couple of hours. That would be rough if you finally get the trailer cooled down at 10 and fall asleep, and then have to get up 2 hours later to empty the ice chest of water and refill it with ice.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #18
If you ran the ac on high until 9 pm, how long would you expect the trailer to stay below 75 degrees?

I know it depends on a lot of factors, but what has been your experience. Once cooled, does the trailer tend to stay cool?

I have a 5000 btu window ac in bedroom at home, and in the summer it runs all night to keep the room cool.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #19
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
When we were last at a Dick's Sporting Goods store, they had a large pop-up tent like an EZ-Up or FirstUp that is made by Coleman and can cover vans, small trailers, etc. because of its increase height. This might be an option for finding shade. Rigging a large silver reflective tarp over the trailer could work, too.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #20
Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
Registry White Solar Powered Room or Desk Fan: Everything Else
Mind you, with the bad reviews on that fan, this might acutally be better
Attached Images
It's not the size.....
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #21
Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
In the dog trial community, many folks use a product called "Aluminet" for covering kennels. You can find it at greenouse supply places. It is used to hang on greenhouse walls to reflect the sun. It is a robust reflective fabric that is knitted, not solid, so allows air flow. At Cooper's (my dog) last nosework trial, we had a sun room set up for shade, but we had the large aluminet over the top of the sun room. The temperature difference outside/inside, and inside with aluminet/inside without aluminet was very significant. I purchased a large enough aluminet to cover my little 13 but have not had occasion to try it yet. I do, however, have Reflectix panels cut to fit over the inside of all my windows when it is hot and I know that significantly reduces the heat coming in the camper. I can only think that anything that reflects the sun but allows air flow would offer some relief from the heat. The aluminet that I purchased has a canvas binding around the perimeter with grommets, so you could lay it over your existing canopy and bungie in place if you needed to.
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #22
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We tried a 12 X 12 Coleman canopy over our Uhaul. It would fit, but sides are too low to just back under it, so it had to be raised or lifted over the trailer. Back to Walmart it went. We do have a 10 X 10 peaked canopy that we can back the trailer under. Considering the wind on the Outer Banks I wouldn't put up any canopy or awning. If you stay at the Oregon Inlet campground there is access near it to drive on the beach. Watching cars getting stuck in the sand can be entertaining, especially if the tide is coming in. Be sure to go farther south to see the Futuro house, but don't let the resident aliens abduct you.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #23
Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
I use those reflective things in all the windows too during the day. They are also sold as windshield solar shields.... thick, insulated, silver reflective stuff. they have suction cups on them but I have never been able to make them stick to the outside, and they blow away in the wind, so I tuck them underneath the curtain rods on the inside. I couldn't manage without them! At night they also block light from the moon or streetlights but if I open the sliding windows behind them air can still flow in. I have a 10' x 14' Aluminet and have tried it over the whole Scamp, but I don't think it made any difference. With the already white surface and insulated body of the Scamp I find that I primarily need complete light blockage of the windows in order to feel comfortable. I also use a Ryobi battery fan to move the air around when I can't use my Fantastic Fan.
Doghaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #24
I've got an outside faucet on my trailer. I bet a good spray on top in early evening would help.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #25
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
I often think that it's not so much the actual heat but the contrast between air conditioned air and the outside that really gets to folks. This since until the last thirty years or so, A/C wasn't even an option when "camping", and yet folks managed to survive the experience anyway. Truth be told, when I'm traveling in real hot country, the only time I really NOTICE the heat is when/if I've been inside an air conditioned store and go back outside. Like walking into a blast oven, as they say. That's often the most unpleasant part of a trip!

I spend most of my time outside, and shade is always a few degrees cooler than full midday routine is to find some and stay there. If there's fresh growing grass, so much the better- nothing is cooler than the air such grass transpires.

As for being inside the trailer:

Nothing electrical in my trailer except for lights- simple, quiet, no worries about power since if my battery runs out I just change my awake- habits to daylight hours only. Cross ventilation is key, in my opinion. My Trillium has seven windows that open, plus the top vent. Air circulation is never a problem. Also, since I mostly boondock and have quite a bit of freedom to choose places, in hottest weather I try to camp adjacent to running water. The ever-present flow of cool air coming off the water is nature's own swamp cooler, and strategic location of the trailer will draw that air right through it.
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #26
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
12 VOLT is KING!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #27
Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
Francesca, you're right! When I'm on Hutchinson's Is, Florida in March, the day-time temps can reach 100*F. However, being on the coast there is always a breeze......either off the water or blowing out to sea. With all the windows open, the inside of the camper stays livable for my little cat. I also use the reflective windshield covers that AussieMom talks about. But with the Trillium's jailousie windows they are clamped on the outside of the windows which allows the air to pass through the open windows.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #28
Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Per Mary and Bob, I would think that no breeze on the outer banks would be the rare case.

The Minimalist is online now   Reply With Quote