Keeping Cool without an Air Conditioner - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #29

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
The item listed earlier as a swamp cooler is not really an evaporative cooler. Those depend on water evaporation to cool the air, not ice.

The process of going from liquid to gas (evaporation) takes a fair amount of heat energy, it pulls that energy from the heat in the air.

Essentially they are just pads with water that keeps them wet and then the cooler air is dispersed by a blower. They do make them for 12 volt in portable sizes but they do have their downsides.

They work better in arid regions as someone mentioned. Both because there is increased evaporation in dry air and the additional moisture the cooler puts into the air is less of a problem. Adding 10% to the humidity of S. Colorado is not bad, adding same increase at 80% humidity here in Mich. or in Fla. just makes it sticky and creates condensation on everything.

In principle they are much like the old canvas water bags that by allowing a little moisture to wick into the bags and evaporate kept the water "cool" if not cold.

There are battery powered hand held fans mounted on squirt bottles people sometimes use, they feel good if nothing else.

Evaporative cooler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #30

Name: steve
Trailer: Born Free Fiberglass
California
Make a 12 volt swamp cooler.
Ideas like this..

Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #31

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stev View Post
Make a 12 volt swamp cooler.
Ideas like this..
I'm not 100% sure but I think his closing suggestion to add ice may be wrong. It's the evaporation that removes heat from the air. Ice would make the air coming out feel cooler but cold water in the pad would have less evaporation.

AC does not work by blowing cold air it works by removing heat from the room air. Cold water won't evaporate as easily so less heat removed from air.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #32

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Speaking of water for cooling purposes:
I always wear a hat (straw in the summer) and I'm a great practitioner of wetting it and putting it back on my head for evaporative cooling purposes.

As a side note, I'll mention that I ran into someone last year who told me that this is an old wive's tale and scientifically false or something...to which I replied that since it's worked for many years for this Old Wife, she's not going to stop doing it anytime soon!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #33

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I always wear a hat (straw in the summer) and I'm a great practitioner of wetting it and putting it back on my head for evaporative cooling purposes.

As a side note, I'll mention that I ran into someone last year who told me that this is an old wive's tale and scientifically false or something...to which I replied that since it's worked for many years for this Old Wife, she's not going to stop doing it anytime soon!
The person that informed you was misinformed. We sweat because evaporation cools us, in addition to moving heat carried by the sweat from inside to outside. It is a biological twofer.

Absent a heat exchanger don't think those bucket coolers will actually cool the room. They transfer energy from the air to the water vapor by evaporation BUT the water vapor still remains in the room. Thus the heat energy does too. 2 gallon of water in bucket pumped into the air inside a 13 ft. camper does not strike me as a way to make it comfortable.

Your hat on the other hand is moving heat from air around your head to the air at large which won't cool the room but should make your head cooler and..... wait for it.....

we all know cooler heads will prevail.

Large commercial chillers typically installed on a roof use heat exchangers, they move air from the living environment to the roof then through the exchanger where evaporation of water on the outside of the exchanger removes some of the heat from the air moving through it. Then the cooled air is returned to the living space.

I was working in Youngstown Ohio at a hospital and we had some extreme heat and humidity come in. The staff were scrambling to find fans for the patients because the water was not evaporating enough in the chillers due to the high humidity to pull heat out and keep the patient rooms cool.

I think the best advice is find shade and be lazy. Starting shortly after breakfast works for me. If you simply must do active things do them early or late when it's cooler. Or see if those things seem as important after a cocktail or two.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #34

Name: Allan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Oregon
Quote:

I've used evap. neck scarves and soaked vests on motorcycles with great success....but.......with air moving through them.
....and, most of Y'all are perhaps too young to remember that before A/C in cars, they sold a unit that filled with water, had a fan in it and plugged into the cigar lighter for cooling. You filled it at the gas station and it lasted several hours. Early ones fit into the passenger window and used outside moving air, later models plugged in and sat on the transmission hump.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #35

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
I've used evap. neck scarves and soaked vests on motorcycles with great success....but.......with air moving through them.
....and, most of Y'all are perhaps too young to remember that before A/C in cars, they sold a unit that filled with water, had a fan in it and plugged into the cigar lighter for cooling. You filled it at the gas station and it lasted several hours. Early ones fit into the passenger window and used outside moving air, later models plugged in and sat on the transmission hump.
When I first lived here in Fresno without an AC in my car, I looked hard for those! Later, I did see them on eBay, though I haven't looked recently. But sure enough, still available: Vintage Lindy's Car Cooler Swamp Auto Window Air Conditioner H493 | eBay
Old 04-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #36

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
Y'all are perhaps too young to remember
In the interest of full disclosure I'm posting a recent picture!
Attached Thumbnails
death-to-hipsters-granny.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #37

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
My brother considers himself a hipster. Not quite sure what that is.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #38

Michigan
Well I will have you know I become "hip" again every time retro comes back in style. Actually I have retro from several decades covered.

Is sort of a drag however to hear music we used to crank up and party to coming out of the speakers of an elevator.

TTFN have to go ask DW to put some elastic in the waist of some old bell bottom pants now because their back!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #39

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I've never been hip, but have always been a redneck.

And have always been accused of being born old.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #40
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
In the interest of full disclosure I'm posting a recent picture!
I saw that picture today..... At the post office
Old 04-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #41
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Huck, we spend lots of time in the outer banks. We used to go in July but found it just too hot for us. We go for a week or more in the spring or fall, sometimes both. I was going to buy a screen room but after seeing numerous screen rooms, tents, etc. take off in the wind, I gave up. Awnings don't do well there either. We try to pick a site so the sun rises on one long side and sets on the other thus gaining shade for most of the day from the trailer. We have a homemade awning that's made of ripstop and attaches with Velcro. It's open at the top in places allowing the wind to blow through. Finally I have an O2Cool fan ($15 Walmart) that runs off 12 v. I put it in the window blowing over the bed at night. We bought our Trillium with camping in the outer banks in mind. It has windows that open on all four sides. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-3822290873.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I wear one of these hats almost every day for the last 15 years. When its hot out you soak it in water and as the air goes through the hat it cools your head. Doesn't have to be wind natural convection moves enough air. Its a bit pricy but lasts an extremely long time.

Amazon.com : Head N Home Hats: Monterey Bay Cabana - Cabana Latte-medium-large : Other Products : Everything Else