Keeping the puppy cool during pit stops - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Carol,
Do you know what the official cause of death was? Those conditions sound comfortable to me and the article didn't mention open windows. Are dogs more sensitive to some conditions than humans? Seriously, I would like to know. This is coming from a dog lover whose black dog likes to lay in the sun on a hot day!

Thanks,

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
We haven't traveled with a dog for a few years (still miss her). Why not just leave the dog outside of the vehicle? A big fresh bowl of water, a leash around the hitch. If you are really worried about other people, park away from the crowds.
Do you mean while you go to a restroom, and leave her unattended?

If so then NOW I see why we need all these laws.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #23

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
and or a lawsuit for when the dog knocks the car into drive and runs someone over. ....
Surly you have your dog restrained in the car, preferable in a crate. Thats why I have the van. The crate works better in the van than it did in my SUV.

Quote:
.... Or stop only at highway rest stops. Most have pet areas so its a good bet you will meet other dog owners - who are happy to watch your dog ...
Ain't happening! I have to know you for a long time before I trust you to hold my dogs leash. Handing a stranger my dogs leash is a very high liability thing to do!

The dog in a crate, in a locked, air conditioned car, left alone for under five minuets is about as risk free as you can get... regardless of whatever laws exist for the people who don't use that amount of common sense.

Yes, its lots of drive-thru restaurants instead of sit downs.. and other adjustments. It should be all about common sense instead of making laws for people who lack that fine quality.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Surly you have your dog restrained in the car, preferable in a crate. Thats why I have the van. The crate works better in the van than it did in my SUV.

Yes I use crates as well when room permits also.

My comment was in references to the photo posted with the dog loose in the car and the car running with a note in the window.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
Carol,
Do you know what the official cause of death was? Those conditions sound comfortable to me and the article didn't mention open windows. Are dogs more sensitive to some conditions than humans? Seriously, I would like to know. This is coming from a dog lover whose black dog likes to lay in the sun on a hot day!

Thanks,

Gordon
Yes an autopsy confirmed the cause of death was heat stroke for all six dogs. Although the side vents on the cap were said to be open the feeling was that many dogs in small space did not help. And they may well have been actively playing with each other.

Actually it might surprise people how quickly a car or truck cap can heat up in what most would consider comfortable conditions. Most agree though that 70 degrees or above is to hot. See chart below.

Yes dogs are more sensitive to heat than humans because they don't sweat as humans do and they are not smart enough to remain inactive when in a extremely warm environment. Heat stroke is common to dogs with short noses and large breeds.
Attached Thumbnails
dogs_in_cars_Heat_Risks_Final.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
and or a lawsuit for when the dog knocks the car into drive and runs someone over.

Personally do not ever make pit stops when traveling with a dog in hot weather that results in the dog being left in the car unattended.

I figure if I was the one who decide to bring the dog on the trip then I am the one that needs to take ownership of that decision and do what ever is necessary to keep them safe.

Even if it means I only eat my meals at a take out window so the dog gets to stay in the car with the AC running and I simple forget about that great restaurant I just passed or the shop I had planned to stop at.

At times it also has meant I have cancelled out of camping reservations & other plans that had been made in an area where the heat is extreme. Have done the later more than once and continued on another few hundred miles or more to find a cooler camping situation where the dog would be comfortable.

There was a situation a couple of years ago where where a dog walker left the dogs in the back of a pick up with a cap on it and all the side windows of the cap open and water in the back for 40 min. It was spring and the temps were only in the range of 21/22 Celsius (70/71 Fahrenheit) - six of the dogs died. She got six months in jail for that and a lot of people felt she should have gotten a lot longer sentence!

If you know your going to be traveling in areas of extreme heat then sometimes it is just better to leave the dog at home.
We were just about to leave home in the dead of winter on a trip South so my wife placed our dog in the back seat of our truck and closed the door with the truck running
Unfortunately the dog jumped up into the front drivers seat and placed his paw on the door lock button .We then had to search for our spare set of keys because we could not get the dog to unlock the door.
Just a note : NOT everyplace / state in the USA has vehicle inspection. The last time any of my vehicles was examined / inspected , I owned a 1978 Ford Station Wagon and it was only a pollution check. I have never had a safety inspection on any vehicle I have owned in my entire life of 67 years.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #27

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Do you mean while you go to a restroom, and leave her unattended?

If so then NOW I see why we need all these laws.

I'm not looking for an Internet argument. But, I am not sure why having a dog tied up outdoors would elicit your response. Sorry for my contribution, I'll just unsubscribe from this chat. I was simply looking to offer a different point of view.
Jay

Sent from my iPod touch using Fiberglass RV
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #28

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
I'm not looking for an Internet argument. But, I am not sure why having a dog tied up outdoors would elicit your response. Sorry for my contribution, I'll just unsubscribe from this chat. I was simply looking to offer a different point of view.
Jay

Sent from my iPod touch using Fiberglass RV
Well, you didn't say tied up outdoors, but instead, tied to "a leash around the hitch." And we are talking about making pit stops on the highways, not at your home. So...

1. It exposes the dog to all sorts of nefarious actions by people while you make your "pit stop." You said park away from people but at rest stops there is often little or no parking out of the way, and even if there is.. that is just more time it takes you to make your stop, and more time the dog is alone.

2. It exposes you to liability when children come to pet and tease the dog (as they always want to do) and get bit.

3. It leaves the dog in the vehicle travel area (aka parking lot) where it can be hit.

And I could go on...*

I am not looking for an internet argument either but leaving a dog tied to your hitch and unattended outside while you make a pit stop (or go to the bathroom) in a public area is a very bad idea. I hope you have not unsubscribed and now understand why this is not a safe practice.
---

* of course I will not suggest, as #4, the incident in the movie, National Lampoon's Vacation where the Chevy Chase character left his dog tied to his car bumper when he made a pit stop, with unspeakable results. No one would do that in real life, right?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #29

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Q: Is there something special about dogs that make them more susceptible to heat?
YES. Dogs don't sweat. All their heat release is on the bottoms of their feet and their tongues. When they get too hot, that's a very small area, overall, to release all their heat. Humans do a lot better in such conditions.

Q: What are you supposed to do?
CARRY A PORTA-POTTY of some kind, even a bucket with a wag-bag and some kitty litter in it! You obviously have a "rig" with you, go into the rig and pee, for goodness sake!

Q: Leave the dog tied to a hitch "away from other people:
Since MOST people are honorable, the more people around (within limits) the better. Still, I wouldn't do it.

Q: missing out on good restaurants, movies, museums, etc.
YUP. But a movie theater can't curl up next to me at night, or chase its tail and make me laugh at how darling it is. It also won't bark if something is wandering too near outside at night.

No internet argument...all of this is YMMV, but it's a good thing to consider at least in Washington!

And by the way, if you dashed into a fast-food restroom for ONLY five minutes and came right back, not ordering food or anything, odds are you would at WORST get a warning if it was even noticed at all. Those who are so eager and ready to call it in WILL give you a few minutes leeway, seriously.

My husband got a plastic bottle at a 2nd hand store that is used in hospitals for measuring men's urine. We scraped off most of the lettering and measurement marks, leaving only THOR (I don't remember what word that came from). Now he carries THOR with him inside the car handy in case he has to pull over quickly and use THOR. It recaps securely (and we scrub the heck out of it before and after)...and he can easily dump it in the nearest toilet when chance arrives.

Me--we carry a porta-potty in the trailer. We used to carry it IN THE VAN, with curtains and all, since I had some, uh, issues. I only had to use it once, but it was a real saver!

Be Prepared isn't just for Boy Scouts.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #30

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Someone asked about the "cooler" I mentioned up above. I still haven't found the one that was referenced in the earlier article (like, the ONLY thing I haven't pinned in Pinterest lately), but here is another one which showed up on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lifesmart-Ind...t&pageNumber=2

Yes, it is an "evaporative" cooler. It would likely make more sense to use this in your trailer with a pet than in your car (just because of the dimensions). There are several different sizes and configurations. It can work on 12v.

The reviews are mixed, but it does look like those who were unhappy had not read directions. The positive reviews (people who read details about tightening cap and not over-filling) were very good.

Since this is evaporative (I.e. Causes humidity), we probably wouldn't like using it in our trailers *very much,* but it might be a real life-saver for a desperate potty/rest/food stop. Give Old Shep a nice walkie, put him in his bed under the table, crack a few Windows and the vent (because, humidity) and blow this sucker right on him.

I don't currently have a dog, but if I did this is what I'd do.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #31

Registry
ANY fan blowing across a dish of water (ice is even better), will lower the temperature. We use that method in our house when it's too hot here.

They used to call it the poor man's swamp cooler, which was the poor man's air conditioner. I said, we're poor, loet's go for it! And it works surprisingly well.

You don't even have to buy anything special to do it. Just beware, as Ellpea says, evaporation-caused humidity and make sure some windows are open a bit. And put something waterproof under the dish. A tray or something.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I presume you go to the washroom to get water for this device?
Old 06-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #33

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
My Ford truck has a nice feature using the remote key fob. Press the start button twice, it locks the doors, starts the car, with the heater or AC running however you have it set. It runs for 10 minutes, then shuts off. If you try to put it in gear without the key in the ignition- it shuts off. I have never tried using it for the dog, but I would certainly set the alarm on my watch if I ever did- too easy to lose track of time and I couldn't bear hurting my best friend.

Nor do I like to let him out of my sight. There was a ring operating here that was stealing dogs and asking for "reward money" for their return. Some of the stolen dogs were used to train pit bulls for fighting. Yes- I know, some people are the worst. Makes me sick to even think on it.
OhTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #34

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
I just give my dog the money and send him in to get the food. So far he has not been arrested for leaving his human in the car.
Patxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Pugs are terribly susceptible to overheating.
I must be part Pug.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:35 AM   #36

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
It was a pleasant 95 when I got home yesterday and started out on my 10 mile bike ride. It's all just a state of mind Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I must be part Pug.

GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #37

Registry
LOL (tongue out)

I am definitely part pug; 95 degrees is get wet and put on very little weather...in the SHADE! And soak down those smaller pugs!

Our pugs not only like the water, they like to swim, and they retrieve toys from under water--at least they used to when they were younger. One of our pups lived on a golf course and we learned about the underwater retrieving capacity because his owner told us he would trot out and get the balls that went into the water trap!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #38

Registry
Now if he could only use the restroom for you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patxx View Post
I just give my dog the money and send him in to get the food. So far he has not been arrested for leaving his human in the car.

Probably because you're over 18.

Now if you could only get him to use the restroom for you, you'd be all set.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #39

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
There are a number of things that people who do dog sports use when they work their dogs out of the car on a hot day. Some of these may work for you.
1. Ventlock - if you have a hatchback or SUV - allows you to leave it open but lock your car at the same time. Works like a dream. Secure Ventilation for dogs in parked cars from Ventlock
2. Shade tarp - works great if you can leave your windows open https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?category=254
3. Ruff Wear Swamp Cooling Vest - soak it in water and put on your dog - remove when the air evaporates. Ruffwear Swamp Coolerâ„¢ Dog Cooling Vest
4. Vehicle breeze screens for your car - so you can do more than "crack your windows" https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?f...&ParentCat=917
5. Animalarm - track the temperature inside your vehicle/trailer on your phone animalarlarm
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #40

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Dittos on the spare key with the AC on. I have a mobile app for a freezer thats alerts me if the temp goes above 78 deg in case the 4runner stalls or the AC quits. I only leave them for a shot time. Very precious cargo. I don't think stirring up hot air with a fan helps much. I also installed aux cooling fans too keep the engine from over heating..
Cheap from Amazon hehehe
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote