Keeping the puppy cool during pit stops - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Believe what you want but it's not a perfect world
Around here any car that allows exhaust into the passenger area would not pass inspection anyway, and would not be able to be registered. Yes, vehicles cost money.. and many people drive unsafe vehicles because they don't have the money. I still will not condone driving a death trap.

EDIT: Maybe I should add that I have driven such a car in my (broke-a**) youth.. but this is a public forum and my comments tend to live forever, so the above is my official take on the matter.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #16

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
I'm going to be a nosy old biddy and point out a couple of things:

A. As to old vehicles, yes, we drove some that were in horrible shape, but the OR / WA registration inspections always caught us, and we soon learned to do better by ourselves. Maybe it's just the Pacific Northwest or the Seattle area, but we try not to drive or operate things with CO leakage. Merely leaving a window open just isn't good enough.

B. Washington State Patrol said this (in case you're coming to Washington) when I called (yes, I butted in and called just now):
1. Not legal to leave a car/vehicle/truck/van, etc. running and unattended.
2. Not legal to leave a pet unattended in a vehicle, running or not.
3. Not legal to leave child or animal in a car on a hot day regardless of air conditioning being on (see #1).
4. It is up to the individual police officer / state patrol officer what they'll do about it if they find this...anything from a warning to a ticket to...?
5. The note would make no difference. See #1.
6. Lots of people are ready and even eager to call these things in, we've had too many incicents resulting in harm to the animal (and child) and we take it very seriously.

Leaving it in the rig with the A/C going would be a far better idea. Be sure to leave plenty of water available. And don't be gone for long regardless. A parked rig without YOU is not a babysitter.

But I'm sure most of you already know that.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #17

North Carolina
So if you travel solo through Washington with your pet, and eventually need to use the bathroom.. it will only take a few minutes, but you can't take your dog with you, you can't leave him in the car, you cant run the AC on the trailer, you can't pee on the grass like your dog can (and maybe thats not allowed for the dog even).. and common sense just gets thrown out the window because some other people did some dumb things. I give up.. I'm staying home.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have a dog so I am not questioning your actions but in many major cities if you leave your vehicle running and unattended even though it is locked ,you can be given a citation.
and or a lawsuit for when the dog knocks the car into drive and runs someone over.

Personally do not ever make pit stops when traveling with a dog in hot weather that results in the dog being left in the car unattended.

I figure if I was the one who decide to bring the dog on the trip then I am the one that needs to take ownership of that decision and do what ever is necessary to keep them safe.

Even if it means I only eat my meals at a take out window so the dog gets to stay in the car with the AC running and I simple forget about that great restaurant I just passed or the shop I had planned to stop at.

At times it also has meant I have cancelled out of camping reservations & other plans that had been made in an area where the heat is extreme. Have done the later more than once and continued on another few hundred miles or more to find a cooler camping situation where the dog would be comfortable.

There was a situation a couple of years ago where where a dog walker left the dogs in the back of a pick up with a cap on it and all the side windows of the cap open and water in the back for 40 min. It was spring and the temps were only in the range of 21/22 Celsius (70/71 Fahrenheit) - six of the dogs died. She got six months in jail for that and a lot of people felt she should have gotten a lot longer sentence!

If you know your going to be traveling in areas of extreme heat then sometimes it is just better to leave the dog at home.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
So if you travel solo through Washington with your pet, and eventually need to use the bathroom.. it will only take a few minutes, but you can't take your dog with you, you can't leave him in the car, you cant run the AC on the trailer, you can't pee on the grass like your dog can (and maybe thats not allowed for the dog even).. and common sense just gets thrown out the window because some other people did some dumb things. I give up.. I'm staying home.
Thats the down side and the risk to traveling on your own with a pet.

Depending on what trailer you have they may not be to hot even though they have been closed up so you could take the dog to the trailer and open up all the windows and turn on the fans for the few minutes you need to use a bathroom. If the trailer has a bathroom then take the dog into the trailer with you and use it. Or stop only at highway rest stops. Most have pet areas so its a good bet you will meet other dog owners - who are happy to watch your dog while you use the bathroom if you will do the same for them. Its a bit risky but if no other choose.... It still less risky than leaving your dog tied up outside a bathroom unattended.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #20

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
We haven't traveled with a dog for a few years (still miss her). Why not just leave the dog outside of the vehicle? A big fresh bowl of water, a leash around the hitch. If you are really worried about other people, park away from the crowds.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Carol,
Do you know what the official cause of death was? Those conditions sound comfortable to me and the article didn't mention open windows. Are dogs more sensitive to some conditions than humans? Seriously, I would like to know. This is coming from a dog lover whose black dog likes to lay in the sun on a hot day!

Thanks,

Gordon
Old 06-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #22

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
We haven't traveled with a dog for a few years (still miss her). Why not just leave the dog outside of the vehicle? A big fresh bowl of water, a leash around the hitch. If you are really worried about other people, park away from the crowds.
Do you mean while you go to a restroom, and leave her unattended?

If so then NOW I see why we need all these laws.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #23

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
and or a lawsuit for when the dog knocks the car into drive and runs someone over. ....
Surly you have your dog restrained in the car, preferable in a crate. Thats why I have the van. The crate works better in the van than it did in my SUV.

Quote:
.... Or stop only at highway rest stops. Most have pet areas so its a good bet you will meet other dog owners - who are happy to watch your dog ...
Ain't happening! I have to know you for a long time before I trust you to hold my dogs leash. Handing a stranger my dogs leash is a very high liability thing to do!

The dog in a crate, in a locked, air conditioned car, left alone for under five minuets is about as risk free as you can get... regardless of whatever laws exist for the people who don't use that amount of common sense.

Yes, its lots of drive-thru restaurants instead of sit downs.. and other adjustments. It should be all about common sense instead of making laws for people who lack that fine quality.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Surly you have your dog restrained in the car, preferable in a crate. Thats why I have the van. The crate works better in the van than it did in my SUV.

Yes I use crates as well when room permits also.

My comment was in references to the photo posted with the dog loose in the car and the car running with a note in the window.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
Carol,
Do you know what the official cause of death was? Those conditions sound comfortable to me and the article didn't mention open windows. Are dogs more sensitive to some conditions than humans? Seriously, I would like to know. This is coming from a dog lover whose black dog likes to lay in the sun on a hot day!

Thanks,

Gordon
Yes an autopsy confirmed the cause of death was heat stroke for all six dogs. Although the side vents on the cap were said to be open the feeling was that many dogs in small space did not help. And they may well have been actively playing with each other.

Actually it might surprise people how quickly a car or truck cap can heat up in what most would consider comfortable conditions. Most agree though that 70 degrees or above is to hot. See chart below.

Yes dogs are more sensitive to heat than humans because they don't sweat as humans do and they are not smart enough to remain inactive when in a extremely warm environment. Heat stroke is common to dogs with short noses and large breeds.
Attached Thumbnails
dogs_in_cars_Heat_Risks_Final.jpg  
Old 06-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #26

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
and or a lawsuit for when the dog knocks the car into drive and runs someone over.

Personally do not ever make pit stops when traveling with a dog in hot weather that results in the dog being left in the car unattended.

I figure if I was the one who decide to bring the dog on the trip then I am the one that needs to take ownership of that decision and do what ever is necessary to keep them safe.

Even if it means I only eat my meals at a take out window so the dog gets to stay in the car with the AC running and I simple forget about that great restaurant I just passed or the shop I had planned to stop at.

At times it also has meant I have cancelled out of camping reservations & other plans that had been made in an area where the heat is extreme. Have done the later more than once and continued on another few hundred miles or more to find a cooler camping situation where the dog would be comfortable.

There was a situation a couple of years ago where where a dog walker left the dogs in the back of a pick up with a cap on it and all the side windows of the cap open and water in the back for 40 min. It was spring and the temps were only in the range of 21/22 Celsius (70/71 Fahrenheit) - six of the dogs died. She got six months in jail for that and a lot of people felt she should have gotten a lot longer sentence!

If you know your going to be traveling in areas of extreme heat then sometimes it is just better to leave the dog at home.
We were just about to leave home in the dead of winter on a trip South so my wife placed our dog in the back seat of our truck and closed the door with the truck running
Unfortunately the dog jumped up into the front drivers seat and placed his paw on the door lock button .We then had to search for our spare set of keys because we could not get the dog to unlock the door.
Just a note : NOT everyplace / state in the USA has vehicle inspection. The last time any of my vehicles was examined / inspected , I owned a 1978 Ford Station Wagon and it was only a pollution check. I have never had a safety inspection on any vehicle I have owned in my entire life of 67 years.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #27

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Do you mean while you go to a restroom, and leave her unattended?

If so then NOW I see why we need all these laws.

I'm not looking for an Internet argument. But, I am not sure why having a dog tied up outdoors would elicit your response. Sorry for my contribution, I'll just unsubscribe from this chat. I was simply looking to offer a different point of view.
Jay

Sent from my iPod touch using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #28

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
I'm not looking for an Internet argument. But, I am not sure why having a dog tied up outdoors would elicit your response. Sorry for my contribution, I'll just unsubscribe from this chat. I was simply looking to offer a different point of view.
Jay

Sent from my iPod touch using Fiberglass RV
Well, you didn't say tied up outdoors, but instead, tied to "a leash around the hitch." And we are talking about making pit stops on the highways, not at your home. So...

1. It exposes the dog to all sorts of nefarious actions by people while you make your "pit stop." You said park away from people but at rest stops there is often little or no parking out of the way, and even if there is.. that is just more time it takes you to make your stop, and more time the dog is alone.

2. It exposes you to liability when children come to pet and tease the dog (as they always want to do) and get bit.

3. It leaves the dog in the vehicle travel area (aka parking lot) where it can be hit.

And I could go on...*

I am not looking for an internet argument either but leaving a dog tied to your hitch and unattended outside while you make a pit stop (or go to the bathroom) in a public area is a very bad idea. I hope you have not unsubscribed and now understand why this is not a safe practice.
---

* of course I will not suggest, as #4, the incident in the movie, National Lampoon's Vacation where the Chevy Chase character left his dog tied to his car bumper when he made a pit stop, with unspeakable results. No one would do that in real life, right?