Keeping the puppy cool during pit stops - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #29

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Q: Is there something special about dogs that make them more susceptible to heat?
YES. Dogs don't sweat. All their heat release is on the bottoms of their feet and their tongues. When they get too hot, that's a very small area, overall, to release all their heat. Humans do a lot better in such conditions.

Q: What are you supposed to do?
CARRY A PORTA-POTTY of some kind, even a bucket with a wag-bag and some kitty litter in it! You obviously have a "rig" with you, go into the rig and pee, for goodness sake!

Q: Leave the dog tied to a hitch "away from other people:
Since MOST people are honorable, the more people around (within limits) the better. Still, I wouldn't do it.

Q: missing out on good restaurants, movies, museums, etc.
YUP. But a movie theater can't curl up next to me at night, or chase its tail and make me laugh at how darling it is. It also won't bark if something is wandering too near outside at night.

No internet argument...all of this is YMMV, but it's a good thing to consider at least in Washington!

And by the way, if you dashed into a fast-food restroom for ONLY five minutes and came right back, not ordering food or anything, odds are you would at WORST get a warning if it was even noticed at all. Those who are so eager and ready to call it in WILL give you a few minutes leeway, seriously.

My husband got a plastic bottle at a 2nd hand store that is used in hospitals for measuring men's urine. We scraped off most of the lettering and measurement marks, leaving only THOR (I don't remember what word that came from). Now he carries THOR with him inside the car handy in case he has to pull over quickly and use THOR. It recaps securely (and we scrub the heck out of it before and after)...and he can easily dump it in the nearest toilet when chance arrives.

Me--we carry a porta-potty in the trailer. We used to carry it IN THE VAN, with curtains and all, since I had some, uh, issues. I only had to use it once, but it was a real saver!

Be Prepared isn't just for Boy Scouts.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #30

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Someone asked about the "cooler" I mentioned up above. I still haven't found the one that was referenced in the earlier article (like, the ONLY thing I haven't pinned in Pinterest lately), but here is another one which showed up on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lifesmart-Ind...t&pageNumber=2

Yes, it is an "evaporative" cooler. It would likely make more sense to use this in your trailer with a pet than in your car (just because of the dimensions). There are several different sizes and configurations. It can work on 12v.

The reviews are mixed, but it does look like those who were unhappy had not read directions. The positive reviews (people who read details about tightening cap and not over-filling) were very good.

Since this is evaporative (I.e. Causes humidity), we probably wouldn't like using it in our trailers *very much,* but it might be a real life-saver for a desperate potty/rest/food stop. Give Old Shep a nice walkie, put him in his bed under the table, crack a few Windows and the vent (because, humidity) and blow this sucker right on him.

I don't currently have a dog, but if I did this is what I'd do.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #31

Washington
Registry
ANY fan blowing across a dish of water (ice is even better), will lower the temperature. We use that method in our house when it's too hot here.

They used to call it the poor man's swamp cooler, which was the poor man's air conditioner. I said, we're poor, loet's go for it! And it works surprisingly well.

You don't even have to buy anything special to do it. Just beware, as Ellpea says, evaporation-caused humidity and make sure some windows are open a bit. And put something waterproof under the dish. A tray or something.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #32

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I presume you go to the washroom to get water for this device?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #33

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
My Ford truck has a nice feature using the remote key fob. Press the start button twice, it locks the doors, starts the car, with the heater or AC running however you have it set. It runs for 10 minutes, then shuts off. If you try to put it in gear without the key in the ignition- it shuts off. I have never tried using it for the dog, but I would certainly set the alarm on my watch if I ever did- too easy to lose track of time and I couldn't bear hurting my best friend.

Nor do I like to let him out of my sight. There was a ring operating here that was stealing dogs and asking for "reward money" for their return. Some of the stolen dogs were used to train pit bulls for fighting. Yes- I know, some people are the worst. Makes me sick to even think on it.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #34

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
I just give my dog the money and send him in to get the food. So far he has not been arrested for leaving his human in the car.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #35

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Pugs are terribly susceptible to overheating.
I must be part Pug.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #36

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
It was a pleasant 95 when I got home yesterday and started out on my 10 mile bike ride. It's all just a state of mind Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I must be part Pug.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #37

Washington
Registry
LOL (tongue out)

I am definitely part pug; 95 degrees is get wet and put on very little weather...in the SHADE! And soak down those smaller pugs!

Our pugs not only like the water, they like to swim, and they retrieve toys from under water--at least they used to when they were younger. One of our pups lived on a golf course and we learned about the underwater retrieving capacity because his owner told us he would trot out and get the balls that went into the water trap!
Old 06-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #38

Washington
Registry
Now if he could only use the restroom for you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patxx View Post
I just give my dog the money and send him in to get the food. So far he has not been arrested for leaving his human in the car.

Probably because you're over 18.

Now if you could only get him to use the restroom for you, you'd be all set.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #39

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
There are a number of things that people who do dog sports use when they work their dogs out of the car on a hot day. Some of these may work for you.
1. Ventlock - if you have a hatchback or SUV - allows you to leave it open but lock your car at the same time. Works like a dream. Secure Ventilation for dogs in parked cars from Ventlock
2. Shade tarp - works great if you can leave your windows open https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?category=254
3. Ruff Wear Swamp Cooling Vest - soak it in water and put on your dog - remove when the air evaporates. Ruffwear Swamp Cooler™ Dog Cooling Vest
4. Vehicle breeze screens for your car - so you can do more than "crack your windows" https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?f...&ParentCat=917
5. Animalarm - track the temperature inside your vehicle/trailer on your phone animalarlarm
Old 06-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #40

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Dittos on the spare key with the AC on. I have a mobile app for a freezer thats alerts me if the temp goes above 78 deg in case the 4runner stalls or the AC quits. I only leave them for a shot time. Very precious cargo. I don't think stirring up hot air with a fan helps much. I also installed aux cooling fans too keep the engine from over heating..
Cheap from Amazon hehehe