Keeping the puppy cool during pit stops - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

Name: Dee
Trailer: In the market
Georgia
Keeping the puppy cool during pit stops

I have used a battery operated fan pointed at her and cold gel packs lying next to her. The battery operated fan lasted only weeks. Is there a decent battery or solar fan that you have used?

Water, Windows ajar. Anything else you do to keep pups cool during pit stops?

It is hot out there.

Thanks,
DeeFiamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Air Conditioning and spare key....

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #3

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
There is a little portable AC unit which is used for dogs waiting in vehicles. It's mainly cooling if it blows directly on you, so apparently does not work for a space like our trailers, but if it's on the seat next to your dog he should be comfortable. I just read about it recently (and it was accompanied by a photo like the one above), but I don't remember where it is or what it's called. But it is a 12v item and should be discoverable out there.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
There is a little portable AC unit .. But it is a 12v item and should be discoverable out there.
Are you talking about a Swamp Cooler with 12 volt fan?
Old 06-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I just put her in the camper with all the windows open and the fantastic fan sucking out air, and a battery fan on. I pull the cord to the battery & car so as not to run down the cars battery. I try to park under a tree or on the shady side of the lot. If it is any higher then 80 I do not camp. I only leave her about 45 minutes and sit where i can see the rig and check on her at least a couple of times. The camper does not get as hot as a car will, at least in a short time anyway. A lot of times we will park in a large lot like walmart and have lunch there in the camper, the dog is happy be cause we are with her and a nice grassy edge where we can walk her and we can all stretch our legs. good Luck, Carl.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #6

North Carolina
Can you define...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeFiamore View Post
pit stops?
Old 06-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Agree with all suggestions above...

When it's hot here in western WA, we usually dampen
down the pugs. A wet dog is a cooler dog.
Bellies, footpads, ear flaps, noses, then the rest of the dog as needed.
A cool place to lie down is nice, vinyl, hardwood...they'll seek it out.

Cold water to drink--ice if you have it.

Moving air over a wet dog is very cooling.

(I can see this added photo really "adds" nothing that wasn't already my icon, but it's a bigger version.)

Pugs are terribly susceptible to overheating.
Attached Thumbnails
Ad 1 2009.jpg  
Old 06-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-01...ze+12+volt+fan
and I highly recommend it. It has fold-out hooks meant for a pet crate, but could be easily be adapted to a pet barrier. I use it in the window of my Scamp in place of a ceiling fan, and the hooks fit the top of the window trim just right.

Gordon.

Gordon02, my dog gets down to James Brown.
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
I have one of these:
<link to endless breeze> and I highly recommend it. It has fold-out hooks meant for a pet crate, but could be easily be adapted to a pet barrier. I use it in the window of my Scamp in place of a ceiling fan, and the hooks fit the top of the window trim just right.
I second the Endless Breeze, it is capable of moving 900 cu ft / min. in or out.

Hint for using on Jalousie windows. Cut a piece of PVC conduit / pipe to span the window, cut 2 notches in the pipe to fit the feet of the fan then insert the feet of the fan into the notches. It will keep the fan off your screen.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #10

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Gordon, loved your note in the window.
When its hot one of us always stays with the dog in a shady spot and we get take out.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Air Conditioning and spare key....

We have a dog so I am not questioning your actions but in many major cities if you leave your vehicle running and unattended even though it is locked ,you can be given a citation. Living in a cold climate many people leave their vehicle running to warm it up but there is a limit on how long you can idle a vehicle. Years ago , when it was cold it was normal to see cars idling in the parking lots of store often for hours ,while people shopped. Your solution may work in many areas but not all.
Another issue is Carbon Monoxide .Many vehicles in the rust belt have holes rusted in the exhaust system and the floor boards and it doesn't take long at idle to fill the vehicle with CO.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
How long you're parking and where you frequent makes the most difference. In the west where it isn't humid, I just park in the shade. Windows cracked. Dog stays in the camper since it's better insulated than the truck.

If I can't find shade I limit how long I'm gone. I will run the roof vent fan if needed, but if it's too hot with no shade I just won't leave him.

I also pay attention to the inside heat when I'm in there in the sun. I've actually hung out in there with him at 95 degrees and we were fine.

But it's always, always best to be on the safe side obviously. I'd never forgive myself...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have a dog so I am not questioning your actions but in many major cities if you leave your vehicle running and unattended even though it is locked ,you can be given a citation. Living in a cold climate many people leave their vehicle running to warm it up but there is a limit on how long you can idle a vehicle. Years ago , when it was cold it was normal to see cars idling in the parking lots of store often for hours ,while people shopped. Your solution may work in many areas but not all.
Another issue is Carbon Monoxide .Many vehicles in the rust belt have holes rusted in the exhaust system and the floor boards and it doesn't take long at idle to fill the vehicle with CO.
As to point one.. there is such a city ordinance in the large city near me but I don't think any judge in the world would uphold the ticket if the alternative was roasting a dog alive. I would plead extenuating circumstances in an unplanned situation.

As to point two, if CO2 leaks into your car then it will affect you just as fast so get it fixed. So if you dont want to die, get it fixed. I cannot fathom how irresponsible it would be for someone to drive around in such a death trap. No vehicle in good repair should have that problem.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
As to point one.. there is such a city ordinance in the large city near me but I don't think any judge in the world would uphold the ticket if the alternative was roasting a dog alive. I would plead extenuating circumstances in an unplanned situation.

As to point two, if CO2 leaks into your car then it will affect you just as fast so get it fixed. So if you dont want to die, get it fixed. I cannot fathom how irresponsible it would be for someone to drive around in such a death trap. No vehicle in good repair should have that problem.
All we ever did was drive with the windows open even in winter so as to not get monoxided . Not everyone has the money to buy a new car or repair an old one .Lots of people in my area buy $100 beaters to drive in the winter and then junk them in the spring.
Evidently you have never lived in the inter city of any large metropolitan area.. I remember riding in cars with my feet on the dash because the floor was rusted out and the seat was held in place by ropes because the seat bolts had rusted off.
I have ridden in cars where the spare tire was in the back seat because there was no floor left in the trunk.
Believe what you want but it's not a perfect world
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Believe what you want but it's not a perfect world
Around here any car that allows exhaust into the passenger area would not pass inspection anyway, and would not be able to be registered. Yes, vehicles cost money.. and many people drive unsafe vehicles because they don't have the money. I still will not condone driving a death trap.

EDIT: Maybe I should add that I have driven such a car in my (broke-a**) youth.. but this is a public forum and my comments tend to live forever, so the above is my official take on the matter.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #16

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I'm going to be a nosy old biddy and point out a couple of things:

A. As to old vehicles, yes, we drove some that were in horrible shape, but the OR / WA registration inspections always caught us, and we soon learned to do better by ourselves. Maybe it's just the Pacific Northwest or the Seattle area, but we try not to drive or operate things with CO leakage. Merely leaving a window open just isn't good enough.

B. Washington State Patrol said this (in case you're coming to Washington) when I called (yes, I butted in and called just now):
1. Not legal to leave a car/vehicle/truck/van, etc. running and unattended.
2. Not legal to leave a pet unattended in a vehicle, running or not.
3. Not legal to leave child or animal in a car on a hot day regardless of air conditioning being on (see #1).
4. It is up to the individual police officer / state patrol officer what they'll do about it if they find this...anything from a warning to a ticket to...?
5. The note would make no difference. See #1.
6. Lots of people are ready and even eager to call these things in, we've had too many incicents resulting in harm to the animal (and child) and we take it very seriously.

Leaving it in the rig with the A/C going would be a far better idea. Be sure to leave plenty of water available. And don't be gone for long regardless. A parked rig without YOU is not a babysitter.

But I'm sure most of you already know that.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #17

North Carolina
So if you travel solo through Washington with your pet, and eventually need to use the bathroom.. it will only take a few minutes, but you can't take your dog with you, you can't leave him in the car, you cant run the AC on the trailer, you can't pee on the grass like your dog can (and maybe thats not allowed for the dog even).. and common sense just gets thrown out the window because some other people did some dumb things. I give up.. I'm staying home.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
We have a dog so I am not questioning your actions but in many major cities if you leave your vehicle running and unattended even though it is locked ,you can be given a citation.
and or a lawsuit for when the dog knocks the car into drive and runs someone over.

Personally do not ever make pit stops when traveling with a dog in hot weather that results in the dog being left in the car unattended.

I figure if I was the one who decide to bring the dog on the trip then I am the one that needs to take ownership of that decision and do what ever is necessary to keep them safe.

Even if it means I only eat my meals at a take out window so the dog gets to stay in the car with the AC running and I simple forget about that great restaurant I just passed or the shop I had planned to stop at.

At times it also has meant I have cancelled out of camping reservations & other plans that had been made in an area where the heat is extreme. Have done the later more than once and continued on another few hundred miles or more to find a cooler camping situation where the dog would be comfortable.

There was a situation a couple of years ago where where a dog walker left the dogs in the back of a pick up with a cap on it and all the side windows of the cap open and water in the back for 40 min. It was spring and the temps were only in the range of 21/22 Celsius (70/71 Fahrenheit) - six of the dogs died. She got six months in jail for that and a lot of people felt she should have gotten a lot longer sentence!

If you know your going to be traveling in areas of extreme heat then sometimes it is just better to leave the dog at home.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
So if you travel solo through Washington with your pet, and eventually need to use the bathroom.. it will only take a few minutes, but you can't take your dog with you, you can't leave him in the car, you cant run the AC on the trailer, you can't pee on the grass like your dog can (and maybe thats not allowed for the dog even).. and common sense just gets thrown out the window because some other people did some dumb things. I give up.. I'm staying home.
Thats the down side and the risk to traveling on your own with a pet.

Depending on what trailer you have they may not be to hot even though they have been closed up so you could take the dog to the trailer and open up all the windows and turn on the fans for the few minutes you need to use a bathroom. If the trailer has a bathroom then take the dog into the trailer with you and use it. Or stop only at highway rest stops. Most have pet areas so its a good bet you will meet other dog owners - who are happy to watch your dog while you use the bathroom if you will do the same for them. Its a bit risky but if no other choose.... It still less risky than leaving your dog tied up outside a bathroom unattended.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #20

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
We haven't traveled with a dog for a few years (still miss her). Why not just leave the dog outside of the vehicle? A big fresh bowl of water, a leash around the hitch. If you are really worried about other people, park away from the crowds.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote