KingCamp Compass Awning - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #15

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
When my paint job on my Campster is finished I will be installing some Sea-Dog Camcleats on it. They are handy for holding rope lines tight. Good for lashing down a tarp/cover. They might also be just the thing to secure those flaps on your new awning.

You need to figure out what direction the line will enter the cleat and choose the appropriate type for that situation.

Don has some he put on the back of his Cargo trailer. He installed them with VHB tape rather than screwing into structure. But remember you do have to figure out which cleat and which way to face it. But once on and you have your rope length just right you can secure it in place in seconds without needing to tie any knots.
What a *sailory* kind of suggestion! When we had our LB out at the lake over Memorial day weekend, I was struggling to tie up some kind of awning. (True fact: Triangular sail shades are really hard to use.). We were taking up five parking stalls! Volvo with trailer attached. Space next to trailer. Van next stall over. And next to van, the vintage woody Snipe which was up for sale (five years of that kind of athletic sailing was enough for me, and DH is back to his El Toro).

While I was fussing and trying to get this triangular thing stretched tight in all directions, hubby took one end, threw it over the top of the van, and attached it to a cleat on the deck of the Snipe.

Awesome.

So... Have been plotting ever since to install cleats on the LB once we determine the awning setup! Here's a link to that thread: Speaking of tying down an awning

And, for good measure, the article which contains the photo of our "spread" on the front page of the local paper (which amply illlustrates why rectangular awnings are better). Lil Bigfoot achieves front page fame

So, yes, I think marine cleats for awnings are a fabulous hack. I'm also glad to see the link you sent, because that's a different kind of cleat than I'm familiar with, and it gives me additional options :-)

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #16

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Yes, there seem to be about 5 different ways to use it, at various angles and heights..!
WoooHoooo... I found the picture I was looking for! I think you will really like that awning. So many ways to set it up.

One thing we did was to utilize a couple of foam-knee pads used out in the garden between the fiberglass pole end/loop-pouch and the top of the trailer so there would be some cushion.

: ) Thom

Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #17

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
What a *sailory* kind of suggestion!
*************************So, yes, I think marine cleats for awnings are a fabulous hack. I'm also glad to see the link you sent, because that's a different kind of cleat than I'm familiar with, and it gives me additional options :-)
Sailory is what you get from someone who lives in and around boats and has a West Marine store in the building where I am working

Some of those cleats in the link do come in the color white which would be less noticeable on your trailer than the black ones.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #18

California
Registry
Quote:
Sailory is what you get from someone who lives in and around boats and has a West Marine store in the building where I am working

Some of those cleats in the link do come in the color white which would be less noticeable on your trailer than the black ones.
Well, that must be why I like it. Hubby has been sailory for around 45 years, and I like the *atmosphere.*. We have a small West Marine here, and I love hanging out in the hardware/fittings area, just looking at doodads and mulling what we could do with them. But this one isn't anything compared to the one near Sausalito -- he speaks of that one as others might speak of Jerusalem.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #19

California
Registry
Quote:
Your awning looks a lot like the one sold by Bus Depot. Bus Depot sells side panels for theirs to turn it into a screen room. Awnings, Tents, and Add-A-Rooms

Unfortunately the fabric is nylon rather than polyester so it won't last as long as poly since it will be more susceptible to UV damage.....But there are spray on products that can help with UV protection.
I was really tempted by the Bus Depot ones, but although they say you don't need to do any drilling to use them, their website doesn't *quite* explain how they are attached. I looked again at them before ordering this one, just because I do like the idea of having a screen room. It may be just that their set-up looked a little sad and *droopy,* but finally decided to try this first. It it's not just right on the trailer, we can still use it on the car and the van (and even on the side of the house on the patio).

I am sorry though, that the nylon won't hold up as well. OTOH, we won't be giving it a lot of hard use, at least not right away. Do you have a spray-on product to recommend?
Old 08-31-2016, 03:32 PM   #20

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
WoooHoooo... I found the picture I was looking for! I think you will really like that awning. So many ways to set it up.

One thing we did was to utilize a couple of foam-knee pads used out in the garden between the fiberglass pole end/loop-pouch and the top of the trailer so there would be some cushion.

: ) Thom
Thom, that's great advice! I wouldn't have thought of this until we were out in the wild and away from garden pad shops. (We do have ONE we travel with for hubby's knees when he's down adjusting jacks and chains and stuff). I'll add this to my list of necessities!
Old 09-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #21

California
Registry
Quote:
Thom, that's great advice! I wouldn't have thought of this until we were out in the wild and away from garden pad shops. (We do have ONE we travel with for hubby's knees when he's down adjusting jacks and chains and stuff). I'll add this to my list of necessities!
Thom, another thing I like about your awning is that it is wider than mine. I like that mine travels the length of the trailer and then some, but it is only about 8' out from the side of the trailer. Other than that, I LOVE it.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #22

California
Registry
Photos of awning

Here is the awning in action. It stuck to the trailer like glue, had no trouble in gusty wind, and gave us a lot of room down the *length* of the trailer.

[IMG][/IMG]

In the photo above, you can see the bungee tie-downs, which were actually amazing. Since each had large hooks at both ends, I was able to tie the trailer corners off in two directions each. This one hooked onto the spare tire cover's wing nut, and then stretched over to hook on a tree branch. Easy peasy.

Here's a look at the front:

So this end hooked onto the far side of the rock guard, and also down to the frame. Completely secure.

There is both a built-in vent at the very top (which is leak-proof) and then this big "window" vent which can be opened and closed. Once the awning was up and the wind freshened, I just ran a broomstick up to release the velcro and allowed the flap to, erm, flap.

So, KingCamp on Amazon, $80, very happy!

Tags
awning