KingCamp Compass Awning - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Ellpea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Posts: 870
Registry
KingCamp Compass Awning

This one is available on Amazon for about $90. It appears to be very lightweight, packs in a bag, and has several options for attaching to your vehicle, truck, hatchback, van.

I've been through the questions and the reviews, and although no one has tried it on a trailer, it is used successfully on the side of a van.

I think this might be a decent option for those of us who don't want to screw an awning rail onto the side of our trailers....

https://www.amazon.com/Kingcamp%C2%A...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I have been carrying a pop-up 10x10' shade with us, but it weighs a ton, and we don't always have a good spot to set it up (so dealing with the extra weight on the trip has been for naught). You could keep something like this in your trailer all the time, and only use it when you need it...
__________________

__________________
Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
This one is available on Amazon for about $90. It appears to be very lightweight, packs in a bag, and has several options for attaching to your vehicle, truck, hatchback, van.

I've been through the questions and the reviews, and although no one has tried it on a trailer, it is used successfully on the side of a van.

I think this might be a decent option for those of us who don't want to screw an awning rail onto the side of our trailers....

https://www.amazon.com/Kingcamp%C2%A...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I have been carrying a pop-up 10x10' shade with us, but it weighs a ton, and we don't always have a good spot to set it up (so dealing with the extra weight on the trip has been for naught). You could keep something like this in your trailer all the time, and only use it when you need it...
It is a nice version of that style because it has vents up at the top. That helps reduce the lifting up and flying away factor when wind gets underneath it. It is a good starting point that could be made more versatile.

Of course if it is really windy you could have a secondary optional top made for it out of shade cloth which lets the wind blow right through but cuts the heat and glare by up to 90 percent. You might also want at least one side curtain drop.

I would want to switch out to more substantial upright, adjustable poles but those are an easy upgrade to buy on their own.
__________________

__________________
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Ellpea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Posts: 870
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
It is a nice version of that style because it has vents up at the top. That helps reduce the lifting up and flying away factor when wind gets underneath it. It is a good starting point that could be made more versatile.

Of course if it is really windy you could have a secondary optional top made for it out of shade cloth which lets the wind blow right through but cuts the heat and glare by up to 90 percent. You might also want at least one side curtain drop.

I would want to switch out to more substantial upright, adjustable poles but those are an easy upgrade to buy on their own.
That's just what I was thinking. I decided to GO for it, and placed an order. I did read that the poles were not always reliable. BUT, I have a collection of poles for my tent and rainfly, so I suspect I can improvise. I also have all kinds of shade/side curtain drop options. But the best way to figure it out is to get it and fool with it, which is just what is going to happen!
__________________
Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ellpea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Posts: 870
Registry
Oh, and the "anti-" sail factor is a plus, since its first outing will be at Big Lagoon, where we are going to, erm, SAIL!

(Oh, edit. First outing is at FGRV Rally in Quincy!)
__________________
Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
That's just what I was thinking. I decided to GO for it, and placed an order. I did read that the poles were not always reliable. BUT, I have a collection of poles for my tent and rainfly, so I suspect I can improvise. I also have all kinds of shade/side curtain drop options. But the best way to figure it out is to get it and fool with it, which is just what is going to happen!
Glad you ordered it, I do think it a pretty good option for our little trailers.
If you add a piece of kedder rope to the edge that touches the trailer it could slide right into an awning rail. That will be my first easy and inexpensive modification if I get one!
__________________
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Lise
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Posts: 111
Registry
Please keep us all posted on how u like it and your mods. Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
Lise in WA
LiseKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bobbie Mayer's Avatar
 
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Posts: 3,231
Registry
I have something like that made by Kelty (doesn't seem available now) that also had sides and was meant to attach to a car luggage rack. It was a pain to put the poles into so I ended up not using it much. It was just easier to use a popup. But granted that weighs more!
__________________
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 217
Registry
That looks pretty slick.
__________________
Lee
Captleemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ellpea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Posts: 870
Registry
This awning is going to work well, I think!

It arrived yesterday, and comes in a neat little duffle bag.

Today I opened everything and spread it out behind our car. Since this does attach to vehicles, I thought I'd start with that and get a handle on the process. (Plus, the Lil Bigfoot is currently parked in a somewhat hot and stickery place).

I could do everything for putting this together EXCEPT get the ends of the fiberglass supports in the final two slots. Hubby had to help me lift it up and bow the supports to get the ends in. Otherwise, it's very easy and self-explanatory.

Although we did attach the two support poles to get a look at it, we didn't leave it up as there was no place in the driveway to stake it out. However, we WILL be setting it up in 6 days at Big Lagoon, so we should have a good handle on it there.

One thing I noticed when putting this away was that, although it is set up to attach the short side to your vehicle, it can easily be swapped out to attach the long side... which is actually better alongside our trailers, I think.

The long side measures about 11.5 feet, but the awning is designed to sort of drape *around*, so I think it would slide well onto the roof of the trailer and drape just a bit over front and back. That way it could be secured to the rock guard, tongue, tire cover, or other handy spots.

Because it has that domed "roof" design, I don't think there is any risk of having the trailer door hit the awning.

Because it has a nice vent/window in the dome, it will not collect heat.

Although there were some negative reviews on Amazon about the poles, the ones I'm looking at all seem to be good quality. The fixings and stitching all look very good to me.

KarinC suggested hemming a rope to one side so it could attach to an awning rail, and I think that could certainly be done, although some fabric might have to be added to make it work. I'll probably keep this as it is, as I like the flexibility of using it in either direction on the trailer and/or the car.

More photos of it set up after next weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
20160827_100822[1].jpg   20160827_102353[1].jpg  

20160827_125322[1].jpg   20160827_131135[1].jpg  

__________________
Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ellpea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Posts: 870
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Oh, and the "anti-" sail factor is a plus, since its first outing will be at Big Lagoon, where we are going to, erm, SAIL!

(Oh, edit. First outing is at FGRV Rally in Quincy!)
Edit again. Just realized Quincy is AFTER Big Lagoon, and Big Lagoon is NEXT WEEKEND. OMG. Panic prep mode ensues.
__________________
Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
accrete's Avatar
 
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Posts: 1,015
Registry
Thumbs up

That looks like a nice little awning, it reminded me of the granger mountain that was popular among some of the FGFRV crowd.



What we noticed is that if we took the vertical support poles off we could use it leaned up against Parkliner or van as you show off the back of your vehicle. Hunker'd down with a couple stakes and bungeed to the roof rack and it should handle quite the storm?

: ) Thom
__________________
Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ellpea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Posts: 870
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
That looks like a nice little awning, it reminded me of the granger mountain that was popular among some of the FGFRV crowd.



What we noticed is that if we took the vertical support poles off we could use it leaned up against Parkliner or van as you show off the back of your vehicle. Hunker'd down with a couple stakes and bungeed to the roof rack and it should handle quite the storm?

: ) Thom
Yes, there seem to be about 5 different ways to use it, at various angles and heights. So I'm pretty stoked to find out how it will behave in the real world, as opposed to just behind my car! (But I'm also glad that I can use it when we go to the lake without the trailer -- the marina parking lot is shade-free, and we can put this up in the space behind our hatchback, and have some very good shade!)
__________________
Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 1,236
When my paint job on my Campster is finished I will be installing some Sea-Dog Camcleats on it. They are handy for holding rope lines tight. Good for lashing down a tarp/cover. They might also be just the thing to secure those flaps on your new awning.

You need to figure out what direction the line will enter the cleat and choose the appropriate type for that situation.

Don has some he put on the back of his Cargo trailer. He installed them with VHB tape rather than screwing into structure. But remember you do have to figure out which cleat and which way to face it. But once on and you have your rope length just right you can secure it in place in seconds without needing to tie any knots.
__________________
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 1,236
Your awning looks a lot like the one sold by Bus Depot. Bus Depot sells side panels for theirs to turn it into a screen room. Awnings, Tents, and Add-A-Rooms

Unfortunately the fabric is nylon rather than polyester so it won't last as long as poly since it will be more susceptible to UV damage.....But there are spray on products that can help with UV protection.
__________________

__________________
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For those who still use a compass cpaharley2008 General Chat 10 11-18-2015 09:46 AM
8' bag awning on a 7' awning rail--pics? NEWFISHER Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 12 04-14-2014 09:57 PM
Bag Awning vs. Regular Awning Pamela S. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 05-21-2010 09:09 AM
adding Awning rail and awning to Surfside ericmarlo Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-15-2008 11:01 PM
Find north without a compass Kevin K General Chat 30 01-05-2008 10:14 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.