Kings Canyon National Park Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We finally decided to visit Kings Canyon National Park this summer. Does anyone have a favorite Campground? ...... and why is it your favorite campground.

Thanks for your help

Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

When we visited the area many years ago, we stayed at one of the Sequoia Nat'l Campgrounds and just did a day trip to Kings Canyon. It was a nice site and we did not have a reservation, and it was an easy drive to see Sequoia and to Kings Canyon as well. It was on the North side of Sequoia, can't remember the name. It was not too far from a "store" I remember. http://www.nps.gov/s...campgrounds.htm
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita 2002 Patriot Deluxe
There are four campgrounds in the Cedar Grove area down in the Kings canyon. Canyon View campground is tents only, so, that one is out. Our favorite is Moraine. The four campgrounds are all adjacent to each other along the road. In order, you come to Sheep Creek, Sentinel, Canyon View, and Moraine. They are all pretty much the same, so, we go to Moraine because being last in line it is usually the least occupied and quietest. If you want to be close to the store/restaurant/lodge/ranger programs area then Sentinel is the best choice. Sentinel is the “main” campground and is always open. Sheep Creek and Moraine are open “as required”. On our visits they have all been open. We have been told it is a rare summer holiday weekend when the Cedar Grove campgrounds are full. Being an hour down a dead end road does cut down on the crowds.

Don’t miss Boyden cave. It is in the National Forest about half way down the road to Cedar Grove from Grant Grove. Catch it either on the way in, out, or as a side trip from your campsite.

An alternative is to camp at Grant Grove. This is at the top of the mountain in the giant sequoias pretty much right at the entrance to the NP on Hwy 180. Count on a good hour to drive from Grant Grove down into the Kings Canyon. Grant Grove is more central to the whole Sequoia Kings Canyon NP. It is also easier to reach and therefore more crowded. The campgrounds will fill up on weekends pretty much all summer long.

There are no reservations at campgrounds in the Kings Canyon side of Sequoia Kings Canyon NP. All the Grant Grove and Cedar Grove campgrounds are first come, first served.

Bill
Bill McKeag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I stayed in a Kings Canyon campground many years ago but can't remember much. Recently stayed in Sequoia NP, there's 2 big campgrounds Dorst and Lodgepole. Don't stay at Dorst, the camp sites are really packed together close. Lodgepole is nicer, there's a river nearby too.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
There is free camping in the National Forest just off the main road near the north end of Sequoia NP. You have to go into the National Park then turn on a Forest Service road. The camping is actually a short distance outside the park boundaries and in the National Forest. Contact the Forest Service office and tell them you want to camp there. They will give you maps and tell you how to get there. It is dry camping with no hookups but like I said it is free, no permits or anything or at least it was in 2005. The sites are spread out along a Forest Service road, not crowded at all. As I remember it was about 8000 feet elevation. Nice and cool the last week of June. No snow left, great sleeping. Purchase your food and supplies before you go to the parks. The shopping is limited once you get there. You can set up your trailer then explore the parks with your tow vehicle. Remember that is bear country. I saw one when I was there.

Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe

Bill, Thoman & Bruce ... thanks for your response. That's exactly the info we're looking for.
Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
There are no reservations at campgrounds in the Kings Canyon side of Sequoia Kings Canyon NP. All the Grant Grove and Cedar Grove campgrounds are first come, first served.
Do they put a sign up at the top of the hill if the Cedar Grove campgrounds are full? Or do you have to drive all the way down to find out?

(I've only been there once but it is a favorite campground of a friend of mine.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
I have camped in all four campgrounds in cedar grove for 40 years. There are beautiful sites by the river in sheep creek and sentintal with lots of trees. The other two campgrounds are more rocky. The the Zumwalt meadow hike and the hike to the hidden waterfall. The nighttime stargazing hike is neat.

USE THE BEAR BOXES for everything from toothpaste to food. Be preparded for all kinds of weather, I have seen snow in August.

Lots of wild life, bears, deer, ground squirrels, steller jays.

I will be there in August.
There was free camping in the US forest at big trees, that was cool, but isoliated.

Linda

Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Don't take the bear warnings lightly.
Lake Isabella, where I live, is surrounded by the Sequoia National
Forest.
My home is about a mile from the forest.
Several nights ago about 3 am my little 30 pound Shiba Enu was barking like a fool which is unusual.
I looked out my front door and there was my dog at the chain link fence trying to get at a bear that was staring at her. When I hollered the bear sauntered off and my dog spent the rest of the night in the house.
I don't live in the forest and yet bears are walking up and down my street.
Just make sure your food is secure in the bear containers.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry

Yes, Bobby,

they will tell you at the entrance gate if the Cedar Grove sites are full or even open. Even if they are full it is worth the drive, you go from 6,000 ft down to 4,000 ft in a box canyon. You go down a 2 lane road built in the fortys by convict labor, on the edge of the mountains. Beautiful views!!!!!

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote