Kitchen Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Airstream 16 ft OB
One of the differences between the larger Scamp and Casita trailers is the absence of a kitchen window on the Casita. I talked to a Casita rep this morning and he said one was not available because of some code restricting it. Something to do with it being a hazard because wind may blow out the stove flame. Seems to make sense to this newbie but Scamp includes the window and so does Airstream, at least on their 16' model. Please help me sort out fact from fiction.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Please help me sort out fact from fiction.
You seem to be doing a pretty good job on your own, Zeb.

Older Casitas do have the kitchen window. I think they quit putting them in for convenience in the manufacturing process, but that's just my opinion. The explanation that it would be a code violation is news.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I've never heard that one before either. Who knows? Maybe TX has a code that elsewhere doesn't. Some Scamps have the window and some don't.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I've never heard that one before either. Who knows? Maybe TX has a code that elsewhere doesn't. Some Scamps have the window and some don't.
In the options list for Scamp is the window over the stove.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #5

Quote:
In the options list for Scamp is the window over the stove.
Yes, I mentioned that at the start of this thread. I've since discovered that Escape also offers the same option. I think Mary F. hit the nail on the head. Casita just doesn't wanna do it.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #6

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
My guess is that Casita would do almost anything that looked like easy, safe money for them.

I'd be willing to bet that Casita has had a close brush with a lawsuit because of the reasons they stated, and that they have therefore decided, as a company, to nix that option, in the interest of self-preservation.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Sounds like salesman-ese for baffle the customer with nonsense.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #8

I'm leaning in the direction of Curt's explanation. As a newbie I was easy prey without this forum's support.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #9
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
My guess is that Casita would do almost anything that looked like easy, safe money for them.

I'd be willing to bet that Casita has had a close brush with a lawsuit because of the reasons they stated, and that they have therefore decided, as a company, to nix that option, in the interest of self-preservation.
One other difference in the older Casita galley (with window) vs. the newer Casita galley (sans window) is the finish on the wall. The older Casita has the carpeting up and behind the sink. The newer Casita is a fiberglass panel, molded into the fiberglass cabinet in (on) which the sink and stove-top are mounted. Now it is possible they had a brush with a lawsuit over that carpet being so near the stove...

With apologies to the old-timers here, who have heard me belly-aching about it over and over and over, when I got my "new" Casita, back in 1999, I was sorely disappointed that there was no kitchen window. (I was moving up from a 1989 model and it had not even occurred to me I'd be losing that feature!) When I inquired about having one installed, they said it was "too difficult" with the way that backsplash was configured.

I didn't pursue it any further, although I did look into getting a window from West Marine and installing it myself... but, the upshot was (is) I didn't want it bad enough to cut a hole in my brand spanking new Casita! (What if I hit some of the wiring? Would I cause unforeseen problems while trying to "fix" something that wasn't broke?)

In my older, 1989 Casita, the kitchen window wasn't very big, but it was GREAT ventilation while cooking, and it worked very well as the open air source with the Fantastic Fan on OUT. Since the window in my new(er) Casita's door does not open, the only other open air source that's as effective with the Fantastic Fan is the bathroom window. Not ideal...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The '87 Burro I had didn't have the window over the stove, and I'd seen photos of later models with the window. The difference in how much light reached the interior of the trailer was dramatic.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #11

Quote:
The '87 Burro I had didn't have the window over the stove, and I'd seen photos of later models with the window. The difference in how much light reached the interior of the trailer was dramatic.

Roger
That's what it appeared like to me in comparison pictures. Without the window it looked so confining too. I'll probably scratch the Casita off the list for that reason.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Now it is possible they had a brush with a lawsuit over that carpet being so near the stove...
I was thinking it was some ditz that thought a kitchen window needed a kitchen curtain! Poof..up in flames.

Quote:
Zeb said: That's what it appeared like to me in comparison pictures. Without the window it looked so confining too. I'll probably scratch the Casita off the list for that reason.
Zeb....I think it would be wise to write out a list of EXACTLY which features you're not willing to live without. So far, an A/C not mounted on the roof and no kitchen window should be on the list. You MAY find there isn't ANY molded lightweight fiberglass trailer with ALL the features you seek... at a desireable size or price you're willing to pay. Then it would be time to decide which features you're willing to compromise on.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #13

Donna D - Still feeling my way through this maze of trailer info. Something that I might find important today may be replaced or added to tomorrow depending on what insight is gathered before pulling the trigger. Regardless, and I hope this doesn't sound cocky, but I don't intend to compromise on any trailer feature found important. I don't want or need one that much.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I think keeping a feature list is a good idea, especially if you're willing to change your mind on which features you want at any time.

Anyone seriously wanting to buy only a trailer with exactly their desired features is likely looking for a custom-built or significantly customized unit. That may be a practical alternative, depending on the combination of desired features; Scamp certainly takes custom orders, for instance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Then too Zeb, you can read and look at all the pictures/videos possible and none compare to actually viewing and walking around inside a trailer. Get thee to a gathering if possible. It's getting to the tail end of camping season so maybe not to many gatherings going on now. But from what I knew then, and what I know now... I'd never order a new trailer without having the opportunity to view as many brands as possible. If nothing else, get in touch with the current new trailer manufacturers and see if they have any contacts in your area.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #16

Donna D. - Again, another good suggestion. We contacted Scamp and had our first view of a fiberglass trailer today, a Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel Deluxe. What first struck us was how small it was inside despite the features it packed. Strangely enough the close quarters didn't bother us. We even found it cozy. The interior finish was much better than expected with the oak woodwork. A lighter wood like birch would've been welcome though. And yes, it had a roof mounted AC with a window near the stove/sink. Tomorrow we're scheduled to look at a Scamp 16'. Unfortunately Escape couldn't find us any owners close by to look at any of their products.