Knowing the earth - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #21

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
To be accurate, most of our problems with rocks in the lawn are due to subsidence. When we moved in 25 years ago, we had a front lawn made of stone. So, I removed some stone and filled over the rest. No matter how good a compact job, over the years, there is almost always subsidence in these cases. Now, it's time to add a few inches of soil on top of the lawn, landscape & reseed, and the mower will thank me.

Norm, the ocean rounded stones in your subsoil brings a possible theory that maybe your area of seacoast is one where there has been a significant gradual adding of land for many years. And, could storm after storm over the years have piled up the "added" land to the 17' elevation? Could be possible. Of course, maybe a geologist would bring forward a better theory than mine.
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #22

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Down East

There's another area called "Down East" that you may or may not have heard of. It's in Eastern North Carolina. Loosely, some upstate and out of state folks refer to it as most any of the area SE and East of Raleigh. But that's really a misnomer. The term "Down East" really only applies to the most East part of Carteret County--that portion East of Beaufort, NC. It's about 10 fishing villages, none of which are incorporated, each having a similar description like the ones Norm described in Newfoundland, but maybe more like 100-500 folks each.

Though the area was settled in the early 1700's, less than 100 years ago there were still no roads, or hardly any roads into this area. So, all trade was accomplished by boat. Probably because of their remoteness, these towns had and continue to have to some extent, as very different dialect. Sometimes it's referred to as a variation of Elizabethan English, but after hearing it many times, I still don't get that connection. It's just different. The Old English influences and maybe Native American influence may have something to do with how the language developed, but the biggest reason was probably the fact that the area developed independently of the inland areas. The area is south enough for a very long growing season (9-10 months) and fishing all year round, so folks could be, and some continue to be, completely self sufficient with little need for outside influence or even outside trade. But, the dialect is slowly disappearing.

I'm sure that the term "Down East" developed separately in Eastern NC from the same term used in Maine and the Maritimes. One of my friends at Cedar Island noted to me casually that he had heard that there was another "Down East" up in Maine somewhere.

Now, there's a decent highway all the way through Down East, NC. It's a causeway much of the way, and while technically, mostly, not a true "island" , this area is completely surrounded by wide rivers, ocean and marsh that previously led to the area being very effectively cut off from the mainland.

It's been an interesting and historical area for me to poke around in. I'm surprised more folks don't visit. It's a great fishing area with clean waters and many free boat ramps with parking. There are several campgrounds, none of which ever seem to be very busy. One the whole, the area is bit like going back in history while still having all of today's advantages. Probably not that much different than many of those small, remote fishing villages in Down East Maine, the Maritimes and Newfoundland.
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
End of the Roads????

In the last two years we've gone to two areas, Burgeo and Harbour Breton, each over 100 miles off NL's trans Canada highway on the east coast. They received their first dirt roads in the 1970s and their first paved roads in the 1990s . Until then they were only serviced by boats. Kind of funny but Newfoundland is an island is really still serviced by boat though the two big ferries were stuck in the ice this winter between NS and NL.

Until they opened the Trans Labrador Highway in 2002 the eastern portion of Labrador could be virtually without even ship service for 8 months. A gas station owner told me they used to store 8 months of gasoline.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Piles of Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastsignal View Post
To be accurate, most of our problems with rocks in the lawn are due to subsidence. When we moved in 25 years ago, we had a front lawn made of stone. So, I removed some stone and filled over the rest. No matter how good a compact job, over the years, there is almost always subsidence in these cases. Now, it's time to add a few inches of soil on top of the lawn, landscape & reseed, and the mower will thank me.

Norm, the ocean rounded stones in your subsoil brings a possible theory that maybe your area of seacoast is one where there has been a significant gradual adding of land for many years. And, could storm after storm over the years have piled up the "added" land to the 17' elevation? Could be possible. Of course, maybe a geologist would bring forward a better theory than mine.
We've lived in Hampton Beach for 30 years and storms, particularly winter storms can be ferocious. The coast road is protected by a massive concrete wall for miles. I've seen head size boulders thrown over the wall and two lanes of road by the action of the water.

Some days you'll look over the edge of the wall and all you see is a boulder and stones beach, come back the next day and there's just deep sand. The ocean can be a magnificent transport system.

The center of the beach is all sand, no concrete wall there. In the winter the ocean can transport that sand to the main beach road, so much so that it needs to be sand plowed.

I loved the power of the winter storms.

I suspect our yard and all this area has been above and below sea level many times, it's only 10,000 years since the last ice age and the time of the real moving of materials.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote