KOA CEO Undercover Boss Friday - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I hope he checks out the one in Astoria! Stayed their one night two years ago on the way to the Bandon meet - hadn't made reservations - cost was over $70 - seem to recall it being $78 with tax, for one night but their online rates were way cheaper than that! Went to use the showers in the morning but they were very dirty and there was no hot water. The office was closed until 9 AM so no one to complain to before leaving.

Is this the one across the road from Ft Stevens? I've contemplated staying there a time or two when I couldn't get a spot at Ft Stevens. Nice to know so I don't make that mistake as there are so many alternatives along the Oregon coast.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #16

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
RV Park Reviews :: Home

Do people here post their reviews at the above? I do it because I appreciate the opinion of other RVers. My main concerns are clean toilets, clean showers, quiet, safety, location and price.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There are dozens of park review's websites as there are dozens more campgrounds that never make into reviews. I have camped/stayed in KOA's, private campgrounds, and state and federal parks, all over the country. Anytime you travel, hotels, motels or campgrounds you have the risks of getting good or bad accommodations. There are no guarantees and you always have the option of leaving. That said, KOA's I feel are more consistent than other campgrounds in their operation. Yes I have had dirty bathrooms at KOA as well as others. But I know that KOA will always try to accommodate you and I have never been turned away. I know what I'm getting when I make a stop there, I do not have that same feeling elsewhere. I belong to Senior Pass,Passport and Good Sam and KOA and between the 4, KOA is tops in my travels unless I have been to or read about another cg here or on the reviews.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Is this the one across the road from Ft Stevens? I've contemplated staying there a time or two when I couldn't get a spot at Ft Stevens. Nice to know so I don't make that mistake as there are so many alternatives along the Oregon coast.
Yes Steve it is. Would recommend booking ahead if you can and nail them down on the price prior. When I stayed it was a holiday week-end and everything else in the area was booked solid so they may have been taking a bit of an advantage of that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #19

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
This should be interesting. We have stayed in some great KOA's and some terrible ones. The KOA in Amarillo comes to mind - had hayrides for the kids (big & small), and delivered a Texas BBQ dinner to your door! We stayed at one in Utah that was terrible. Dirty, no supplies, they made us move to make room for a big rig. The trailer next door was playing loud (as in screaming) video games at 11pm. Dave finally got dressed and walked over - turned out to be the unsupervised grandkids of the owner. When we got home I sent an email to KOA. They said it's a franchise and they were not accountable even though I mentioned that the listing in the KOA was very misleading. Ah well, it was still a great trip - we were bringing our Casita home from Texas and there are always a few bumps in the road no matter which one you choose to travel...
Kathie

Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #20

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Interesting to me to read these comments. Our experience - and we have RV'd for about ten years now and traveled all over the west - is that KOAs are generally over-priced and poorly managed. In addition, the ones we've stayed at had overly complicated check-in procedures, way too many rules and only so-so amenities given the prices they charge. We avoid them and will stay at one only if there is no other option.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #21

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
we've stayed in a few KOAs over the years...and have no complaints except for one. we were booking in to one of the ones in daytona beach (not the one near the flea market) and the lady told me "you'll save money on this stay by renewing your membership"...so i did, to the tune of $23 (at that time). then she proceeded to tell me, once i'd paid for it, that this same week, canadians were being offered a discount and the price was dropping to $15/nightly....no membership needed!
that park was very nice, very well kept and we enjoyed our stay.
the KOA in quebec city as well as the one in niagara falls, ont, are also both nice, clean and well-run.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #22

Georgia
OK, the Undercover Boss came across as a dork. Not the kind of guy that is going to lead, innovate and motivate.

The theme that most of the Undercover Boss shows have is that the boss is out of touch with operations.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
isn't that true everywhere, both in government and private industry? It is a fact of life!!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
On most of the episodes I've watched, the "boss" seems to be some egotist who just wants to see themselves on TV. Seriously if your manager brought someone to you and told you they needed to follow you around for awhile because of some "contest" wouldn't that set off a bit of hmmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #25

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
On most of the episodes I've watched, the "boss" seems to be some egotist who just wants to see themselves on TV. Seriously if your manager brought someone to you and told you they needed to follow you around for awhile because of some "contest" wouldn't that set off a bit of hmmmmmmmmmmm!
Yes, and I think there must be some pre-interviews by the production company to find interesting employees. I'm sure an introvert or quiet person doesn't get picked.

Did they really give 50,000 to the woman for her education. Did I hear that correctly? And, did she then leave in a few weeks to open up a spa? I wonder if she got the $.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #26

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Non of it, is believable. All TV hype in my book. I gave up on KOA's more than 20 years ago.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextersp1 View Post
Did they really give 50,000 to the woman for her education. Did I hear that correctly? And, did she then leave in a few weeks to open up a spa? I wonder if she got the $.
LOL I burst out laughing when I read that she opened her own spa with the money. What did he expect she would do with it! Good on her! If he had any management skills at all and wanted to keep her as an employee he would have give the money to her with a contract of some sort so she stayed for at least a couple of years.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #28

Name: Herschel
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Registry
This just what I expected ,they only showed the better ? ones well like Kathy said only if you haft to ., way over priced for what you get . last year it cost $350. for 4 days in South Carolina