KOA CEO Undercover Boss Friday - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
KOA CEO Undercover Boss Friday

This could be an interesting watch as the KOA CEO goes undercover at the campgrounds.

Camping, Campsites and Campgrounds | KOA Campgrounds
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, I'm going to watch it
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Koa ?

If the truth is told he will be in for a rude awaking , Mostly way overpriced
just one opinion,
Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #4

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
If the truth is told he will be in for a rude awaking , Mostly way overpriced
just one opinion,
Overpriced, yes. I've stayed in them either because the math of gas and rental price worked or there wasn't another option at the time - West Yellowstone comes to mind.

I think they work better for families with children - there is more to do for the kids.

Thank for posting - I'm going to watch.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #5

Georgia
Old 01-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Dexter hit it on the nose. We have the two kiddos and when we'd be on the road for a month plus we would schedule a respite several times during the month at a KOA. They could go to movie night and activities and give us worn out road parents a break. Always a good pool area as well. Of course, we discovered our first love "Moose Tracks" Ice Cream at the Bozeman KOA nightly ice cream social while we recovered from a week in Yellowstone.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The last time we stayed at a KOA the cost was under $50.00 total for two nights . The campgrounds was well maintained , the park had immaculate restrooms and showers ,a adult and children's swimming pool and a free potluck dinner . I do not think $25.00 / night is cheap but the local county park was $23.00/night and the closest private park was over $35.00.night.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
I usually enjoy "Undercover Boss", although it sometimes gets a bit silly and its hard to believe that the employees can't figure out that all is not what it is purported to be. The part of the equation they really miss however is the customer experience - why not actually pose as a customer for a segment of the show and find out what the rest of us know. Why not visit a competitor and find out what they do better?

Regardless, i'll definitely watch. Thanks for the heads up.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I hope he goes to the KOA in Joplin,Mo!
It is one of the most disgusting neglected overpriced and price gauging I have seen so far.
I wonder if it would really make any difference?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We like staying at KOAs when possible because they are usually clean and in good locations. Yes, we pay more than at a state or county park, but still much less than the type of motel we would otherwise be at. Are there some clunkers? Yes, but we could really only remember one and it wasn't terrible. We like electric and water hook ups, along with a wifi signal. Cable is a nice plus when available. We do not travel in our UHaul to "rough it."
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Well, I have never stayed in Joplin, MO, but every other KOA we stayed in was one I would return to. Clean bathrooms are number 1 on my list, and every one we stayed in had immaculate bathrooms. I appreciate the other amenities: Internet, pools, stores, and friendly people. I have not been bothered by too many kids either yet, although when we stayed at the one at Mt. Rushmore last year, it was easy to see that at another time of the year, I may not have enjoyed unsupervised kids tearing through my campground. The KOA outside of Philadelphia was really nice. Spaces were private and shaded. In fact, when we were first taken to our site, I thought, "Crap, it will be full of bugs. I will have to stay in the camper the whole time," as it was nestled under trees and bushes. That KOA must treat for bugs though, as we could enjoy the shade and privacy in our screen house with no bugs finding the gap between the camper and the screenhouse.

We look for KOAs when we travel. They may be more expensive, but they are cheaper than motel rooms. And so far, we have had good luck.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I haven't stayed at many KOA's, but the ones I have offered good services, and the price was compatible to other private owned campgrounds. The latest one I stayed at was in Lava Hot Springs, in Southern Idaho. A nice little spot, though the train tracks and highway were not too far off.

You can't be provincial/state sites though for price and locations most times.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Nothing to do with campong, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
The part of the equation they really miss however is the customer experience - why not actually pose as a customer for a segment of the show and find out what the rest of us know.
There is a sort of "secret shopper" TV show for restaurants: Mystery Diners. They plant workers, not just customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
Why not visit a competitor and find out what they do better?
Perhaps because they would need the cooperation of the competitor, or because it would dilute the self-promotion benefit for the featured company.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I hope he checks out the one in Astoria! Stayed their one night two years ago on the way to the Bandon meet - hadnt made reservations - cost was over $70 - seem to recall it being $78 with tax, for one night but their online rates were way cheaper than that! Went to use the showers in the morning but they were very dirty and there was no hot water. The office was closed until 9 AM so no one to complain to before leaving.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I hope he checks out the one in Astoria! Stayed their one night two years ago on the way to the Bandon meet - hadn't made reservations - cost was over $70 - seem to recall it being $78 with tax, for one night but their online rates were way cheaper than that! Went to use the showers in the morning but they were very dirty and there was no hot water. The office was closed until 9 AM so no one to complain to before leaving.

Is this the one across the road from Ft Stevens? I've contemplated staying there a time or two when I couldn't get a spot at Ft Stevens. Nice to know so I don't make that mistake as there are so many alternatives along the Oregon coast.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #16

Georgia
RV Park Reviews :: Home

Do people here post their reviews at the above? I do it because I appreciate the opinion of other RVers. My main concerns are clean toilets, clean showers, quiet, safety, location and price.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There are dozens of park review's websites as there are dozens more campgrounds that never make into reviews. I have camped/stayed in KOA's, private campgrounds, and state and federal parks, all over the country. Anytime you travel, hotels, motels or campgrounds you have the risks of getting good or bad accommodations. There are no guarantees and you always have the option of leaving. That said, KOA's I feel are more consistent than other campgrounds in their operation. Yes I have had dirty bathrooms at KOA as well as others. But I know that KOA will always try to accommodate you and I have never been turned away. I know what I'm getting when I make a stop there, I do not have that same feeling elsewhere. I belong to Senior Pass,Passport and Good Sam and KOA and between the 4, KOA is tops in my travels unless I have been to or read about another cg here or on the reviews.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Is this the one across the road from Ft Stevens? I've contemplated staying there a time or two when I couldn't get a spot at Ft Stevens. Nice to know so I don't make that mistake as there are so many alternatives along the Oregon coast.
Yes Steve it is. Would recommend booking ahead if you can and nail them down on the price prior. When I stayed it was a holiday week-end and everything else in the area was booked solid so they may have been taking a bit of an advantage of that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #19

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
This should be interesting. We have stayed in some great KOA's and some terrible ones. The KOA in Amarillo comes to mind - had hayrides for the kids (big & small), and delivered a Texas BBQ dinner to your door! We stayed at one in Utah that was terrible. Dirty, no supplies, they made us move to make room for a big rig. The trailer next door was playing loud (as in screaming) video games at 11pm. Dave finally got dressed and walked over - turned out to be the unsupervised grandkids of the owner. When we got home I sent an email to KOA. They said it's a franchise and they were not accountable even though I mentioned that the listing in the KOA was very misleading. Ah well, it was still a great trip - we were bringing our Casita home from Texas and there are always a few bumps in the road no matter which one you choose to travel...
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #20

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Interesting to me to read these comments. Our experience - and we have RV'd for about ten years now and traveled all over the west - is that KOAs are generally over-priced and poorly managed. In addition, the ones we've stayed at had overly complicated check-in procedures, way too many rules and only so-so amenities given the prices they charge. We avoid them and will stay at one only if there is no other option.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote