Lake Superior Circle Tour - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #29
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The high light of my Great Lakes trip last year was my time spent near the water. I often harken back to the camping I did around Lake Superior.

The first camping was at Grand Marais, MN (city park where we had our fiberglass gathering), then travelled down to Duluth. Several weeks later I was in WI and Door County, I had gone to southern Minnesota so I came into WI at LaCrosse and went across to Door County. I left there heading for Bayfield, WI and back on Lake Superior. I travel on to Copper Harbor, Marquette, Munising and on through Pictured Rocks continuing on to Sault Ste Marie. There was only about 50 miles of the route below Lake Superior that I missed from Duluth east.

If I ever make it back to the Great Lakes states I know I'll find myself somewhere near Lake Superior. The camping I did near Lakes Michigan and Huron was nice but I truly enjoyed the Superior area better. If the Grand Marais, MN and the UP didn't have such nasty weather in the winter, I might think about living there.

Some day I plan to visit Canada from Saskatchewan east and will definitely do the north section of the circle tour.

Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #30
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Do you need a passport to go into Canada?
Will a photo ID driver license work?
Also do I need proof that I own my truck and trailer?
As of this past summer, you can no longer use a normal photo id drivers license to enter Canada. You and your passenger(s) need a passport, Nexus, or a special "enhanced" driver's license carrying more info than a normal state issued license.
We were asked for our passports at each border. Make sure you keep your driver's license, registration and insurance card easily available as well.
Our trailer was not searched at the Canadian point of entry, but it was searched when we re-entered the U.S. as a routine check for foreign produce. (We did not carry U.S. produce into Canada, or vice versa. Limits on labeled foodstuffs and prohibitions are available online.) Canada did not allow any weapons, including pepper spray and bear spray. We were questioned on this, and were happy that I had looked it up online and left them behind with a cousin in NY. (Wasp spray is ok, though, as far as I know.) This link may help answer some of your questions

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #31
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We're anticipating buying our first egg. This string on Lake Superior is drawing me closer to getting on the ball about the purchase. I'd love to make that tour be our first.
My dad is from the Soo and his grandfather is in under the Big Shining Water somewhere (fell overboard during a crossing.) Anyway, it would be so cool to go all around that beautiful country. Thanks for the info.

C C Clark is offline   Reply With Quote