Laptop or smart tablet on the road? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
Name: Becky
Trailer: '99 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Really depends on what you want to use it for.

For me a laptop made more sense because I do a lot of writing and use photoshop. I also play video games much more than I watch TV, which makes a laptop a necessity.

If you're just going to be surfing the web and checking e-mail and such, a tablet uses less power and is easier to carry around.

Either can get on the internet using wifi, if you go with a tablet you can get one with a data package through a phone company for better internet coverage, if you go with a laptop you can get a wireless broadband card which has essentially the same function.

Best of luck whichever way you choose.

Life's too short not to spend it doing something you love.
Lessons on the full-time RVing journey (my blog): Interstellar Orchard
BeckyIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Since I don't have an iPhone, iPad, or anyother 3G or 4G devices a Wifi enabled lap top works best for us. Because of space we carry 2 Asus Net Books running XP and W7. Both have large hard drives and work quite well as computers. Wifi is generally can be found in many places. There's several places where you don't have wireless phone service(meaning no 3G or 4G) but you have wifi. I think of two right off hand, one in Big Bend Texas, the other in New Berry Crater, Oregon.
We don't spend time watching TV, movies, etc. so this works for us. Others may need their movie and TV fix.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
For me it's no contest, laptop.
  • Can run a more robust set of photo software for digital pictures.
  • Same software, configuration and features for email, facebook etc. that I use at home. As opposed to a mobile "app" version.
  • I can "do" email offline, connect to get a copy of new email, save replies in outbox and send next time I have internet.
  • Greater storage means I can store a lot of off line video and music. Actually I can store every album/cassette/cd I own for music, along with a dozen or so movies. None of which require internet to use.
  • HDMI output and cable means I can play DVD's or video files to television.
  • Don't need TV because with usb powered speakers it is our entertainment system.
  • More sources for internet connections. WiFi, WiMax, teathered to my phone as a modem, or mobile phone company provided internet device. Plus phone can act as wireless hotspot.
  • Real keyboard of decent size and configuration I normally use.
  • Bigger screen makes more than one task open at a time usable.
Tablets are great to carry around, and last longer on a charge but when I'm camping I'm not going to take advantage of that portability. I'm using the device in camp and can plug in as required.

Exception is eReader such as kindle or nook, the e-ink is much better than a backlit computer type screen for reading in daylight.

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote