Large Family Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #21

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
That is a good idea. We have a 2006 Toyota Sienna. My big question is how do you keep the climate inside the van controlled? Maybe not, but I would think that it would get pretty stuffy some times in the van.

I camped out with the boys night before last, and boy am I ready to get a camper!!
What about making a set of folding bunks over the dinette? Has anyone tried this in a 13'? (Better make sure you have jacks under the rear end, or it could be a rough night...

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #22

Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Quote:
What about making a set of folding bunks over the dinette? Has anyone tried this in a 13'? (Better make sure you have jacks under the rear end, or it could be a rough night...

Pam

I have 5 kids, two teens, 3yr old twins and a baby. we have a 16' Amerigo and find it comfortable and have plenty of room for the little one's to play. My teens sit on the couch playing games, etc and never complain and yet we have room to sit and talk. The previous owner put in a smaller table for more floor space and it works great. I did notice that in the brochure for the Amerigo they offered a folding bunk above the dinette. I have considered it. Looks like it might work. Right now we have two doubles which is nice. When not sleeping the couch offers room for 4-5 adults and the dinette sits four easily.
I think putting a bunk in a 13' would work, I saw a posting where a member did exactly that. It was above the dinette and it folded back. More of a hammock style. I think I saw it on Scampers forum. I don't care for the site but, like to look at all the idea's out there.

sherry loving o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #23

Trailer: 8 ft Jayco Pop-up
Quote:
What about making a set of folding bunks over the dinette? Has anyone tried this in a 13'?
Pam

Good idea! An idea like this was something that I was looking for. I will look into all of these ideas! Thanks.
Jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Quote:
That is a good idea. We have a 2006 Toyota Sienna. My big question is how do you keep the climate inside the van controlled? Maybe not, but I would think that it would get pretty stuffy some times in the van.

I camped out with the boys night before last, and boy am I ready to get a camper!!
This is how we do it in our Suburban: I bought some screening from Home Depot and some magnets. Cut the screen a little larger than the windows and stick it to the outside with the magnets. Worked fine except the rear hatch window had plastic around it but it did have a large rubber gasket around the window. We took clothespins and attached the screen to the gasket.
Also use a fan / ceramic heater with extension cord to trailer or hook-up. Seems to work unless the night was just awfully hot or maybe terribly cold.
Spent weeks and weeks and everybody's been fine so far!
Chris
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #25

It sounds like that is a definate option to consider. My van has stow away seats in the back and the front seats flip up. So this should be easy.

Here is an idea I had for a 13' scamp. I am currently looking at a 13' love bug. Check it out and see if you think that this will work or if there will be a problem with this layout. I thought that with the TV sleeping option, this would work pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp13a.JPG  
Old 10-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Jakeh - My girls and I, formerly tent campers, just completed more than 9,000 miles in our little fiberglass trailer (our first, and acquired just three weeks before we split town for 9 weeks). When DH me up with us in the Dakotas, it was VERY tight. Any night we stayed more than one night in a spot, we set up the tent and he and I slept there while the girls had their own "room" in the trailer. We divided it up this way because he and I are VERY heavy sleepers and, should anything or anyone try to get into the girls' tent, we never would have heard it. However, they're both old enough and smart enough to be able to get out of the trailer, even locked. So we left their windows open, set tent right outside the windows, had our own private space and felt pretty comfortable with the setup.

If you and the boys like to tent camp, you could get the trailer for your wife and you, let the boys camp outside...or she can sleep in and you boys can all be outside...or...the possibilities are many.

We love our little 'glass trailer and will keep it 'til we just can't squeeze in any more.

Jen in Orcutt, CA

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #27

Well after much consideration and research I bought a camper today. I appreciate all of the help on this site. I really wanted the FG campers to work out for me, but I was on a tight budget and I would have to really work around the layout with my large family. I decided to go with a pop-up for my first camper. It is light, sleeps up to 6, and it meets all of our needs nicely. It is unfortunately a lot more work then a FG, but I don't mind the extra work (yet anyway). I got a good deal on it and am very excited to start camping. I thought that it would be a great camper to start with. God Bless.

Jake <><
Old 12-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #28

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Jake,
Congrats on your purchase! I hope you and your family have a wonderful time in your pop-up. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to get a FGRV later on, but you have found what will work best for you now. What a great early Christmas gift for your family!
Happy trails!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote